Family of 4, arriving in GYE at night, how to get to Cuenca safely?

Hello everyone....

So my husband and our 2 little children (3 yrs and 5 yrs) will be landing in Guayquil airport on Jan 10th at around 9 pm! I have heard scary things about Guayaquil (from a native Guayaquillian!).

So I would like some advice on the safest (and cheap please) way to get from Guayaquil to Cuenca? Also, since we are coming in so late, I figure we will be staying in a hotel by the airport.

any suggestions on a SAFE hotel in Guayaquil? And will most hotels come and pick us up at the airport?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help!
Christa

sounds scary... but the safest way would be by plane

I would not advise coming over at night to Cuenca. Stay at a good hotel like Marriott, we ahve a special rate there. the take a van next day cost $12 a person.

Do you have an apartment? they run about $5 a day fully furnished or less per month $650 to $750 with internet and cable.

no charge to help , just been there doone that!!

moved my family here 2 years ago.

Charles at [email protected] if we can help

I also have a 16 page free report on moving and living in Ecuador.

Hello,

Good to hear you finally coming to Cuenca.

9 PM in Guayaquil is bad. Contact now a good hotel there to make a reservation and ask for some one to pick you up. Stay away from the taxis, they say the yellow ones in the airport are OK but one time I used one and tried to overcharge me going in the wrong direction.
In the morning ask the hotel to bring you to the vans they go to Cuenca. There's a couple of them close to the airport, it take 3 hours to Cuenca, cost $12 for passenger. Taxis in Cuenca are safe, if you have a hotel in downtown Cuenca it will cost like $2 to get there from the van's office.

If the hotel staff doesn't know where they are, let me know and I give you name, adress and phone.

Good trip and good luck.
If you want to contact me my phone is (07) 2819207, the area code only if you call from outside Cuenca.

Vinny

thanks everyone for your help and replys! I am so excited (and still nervous!!)!! But I will take down all of your information so if anything happens I can contact someone! I have a hotel reserved in Guayaquil for the night, Murali, and they will pick us up. And then I have the van to drive us to cuenca the next day. We will be staying at the Villa Nova Inn....Ive heard alot of expats stay there at first. Then we will be looking for an apartment or house to rent ASAP! I hope we can find one we like in 3 days! But I heard its a tough market...so we will see!

I hope i get to meet all of you! If you are in cuenca and see a family of four running around, not knowing spanish...thats probably us! LOL! (Description of us, just in case you really do see us: I am white short brown hair, my hubby is black, a 5 year old curly haired son, and 3 year old curly haired girl...the girl will be running around like a wild child....so if you see a mother chasing her 3 year old girl around...THATS us!!! LOL!!!)
~Christa

Have a nice trip and don't worry, everything will be OK.

If you want help looking for an apartment, let me know.
You have the option of real state agents but sometimes local
newspapers are a better option.

Vinny

Thanks...and YES vinny...I would like help finding a rental! I do have a real estate agent that will show us her properties one day. But I think she only has one unit available. So if you have any ideas that would be great...my email is: [email protected]

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are planning on planning on visiting Guayaquil and Cuenca in June for a few months while looking for a house or apartment to rent long term.If any one knows of a good real estate agent we could contact it would be of great help.

you'll get in about 10:30 or 11 dont try to come over the mountain at night. Stay at a hotel, there are some safe ones right across from the airport. I will have my sectary send you info on the hotel and van service on Monday.

We ahve two boys 13 and 15 and home school.

Charles Barrett
[email protected]