Welcome Group for Expat Women

[large][/large]  Hello Everyone, I have been Tripoli for about 3 weeks.  I am an American. 

I was wondering if there was a Welcome group for expat women that maybe meets one time a month?

If not, I was wondering if anyone would be interested?  We could take turns hosting one once a month at our homes.

Thanks,
Danyne

That is a fantastic idea! I dont arrive until sept but I am def interested in something like this!

would be a great idea! i also arrive in september and it would be amazing to have people to meet outside of work!

there is a group already here, it says British & Commonwealth, but everyone is welcome I'm sure:

Expat wives group in Libya

Thank you, MM

Let me speculate: Sandman makes a comment about retaliating by starting a group for expat men, Hairy Harry flattens the fun by asserting that Libyan internal security gods hate it when guests of Libya attempt to enjoy themselves.

The discussion further deteriorates into a post-feminist fight over whose culture is superior when a Libyan member of the forum interjects with what he thinks is a clever remark dragging the whole thing to unfathomable depth of dissipation, then I post something like the photo below and the thread thus becomes ... epic!!!

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/9/e/collegehumor.de1aa0c9bcfec546d9a5fb4ec933e0dd.jpg

pmsfl muddy :lol::lol::lol:

What are you talking about, Moel???????????????

I just asked a simple question.

I wish the UAE foreskin was as funny and informative as this place. ;)

Mo, you forgot the rose tinted spectacle wearer who'll inform us that whilst "women's groups exist in other countries, there are none in Libya and indeed no woman has ever expressed the need for one. Q.E.D" :)

Ladies: we apologise for the thread hijack whilst attempting to amuse ourselves, the moderators (especially the grumpy females) will be along shortly to tell us we're off topic. :offtopic:

It's my way of saying I am bored and will stop at nothing to entertain myself. Dont despair, Sea Angel; There arent many of us :) If you fail to get the jest of a post, it is best to pretend that you're too "grown up" to notice it.

Moreover, I got jealous!! :D Why is it ok for women to get together and watch Desperate Housewives or discuss cool, intellectual matters, but the most creative thing men do together is compare shoe sizes (mine is 11 US/44 EU BTW)??

Yeah, that's funny.  That's what our men say back at home when they hear us talking about getting together.

But you guys do -- golf and whatever else you do.  LOL  Some of our guys get together and play wii.

But you know you're right -- come to think of it -- do they have co-ed socials and gatherings to meet people?

Wii? Where, when? ;-)

We blew our wii power cord out  the other night the first time we used it.  Brought it from the States.  :(

mp_garcia wrote:

Wii? Where, when? ;-)

Janzour, my place! bring your own sweat wrist bands! :)

(Now sits in anticipation waiting for Mo to comment!)

mp_garcia wrote:

Wii? Where, when? ;-)

LOL... yeah right! as if wii was as cool and stimulating as plain ol gossip.

BTW.. couple of my dress shoes are 11.5

Yeah, but my butt hurts sitting at this computer.  LOL

At least when I play wii, I actually get up on my feet and play like it's supposed to be played -- not just sitting on the couch waving around the controller like our guys do at home in the States.  LOL

ahhh... it's better than eastenders on this board!!

meems wrote:

LMAO! Lets see who understands this one! :)

tonyrfsa wrote:
meems wrote:

Eastenders is a British television soap opera

*bows out so them ladies can do their thing*

why thank you kind sir...! ;D

back on topic- what about in Benghazi?

izzy01 wrote:

back on topic- what about in Benghazi?

Izzy - Something like this might work in Benghazi. There is a big group of Brazilian women here who hold monthly meetings in Portuguese (they make great pudding but I couldn't understand a word!)I don't know a huge amount of expat women here and the few I do know are heading home for the summer. On a social note however, a lot of the British expats meet at El Fadeel on Thursday nights for burgers and imitation beer. Send me a PM if you fancy meeting up!

wii........ any challanger to me??

dadmamwaw wrote:

wii........ any challanger to me??

As this particular thread is about a welcome group for expat women, you might be barking up the wrong tree.

Here's a thought: why not start a new thread ? :cool:

I have had a good response with people wanting to form a group.  I say women's group because I figure most of the spouses that are working here are the men -- but I know some of the women are too.

So I thought maybe we could start during the day once a month doing something -- like meeting at someone's house.  Each bringing a little something to eat to share.  We could meet and all make suggestions on how to proceed.  I have some ideas and please think of ideas.

And of course it would be nice to do something in the evenings with our spouses.  But when we get together, we can talk about it.

I would be happy to have the first get together at our villa.  Those interested and that have not already done so, please private message me your name, contact info., and what day of the week would be good for you.

I am putting together a list and will email you my info. and contact when I receive your contact info.  It seems we only have a certain percent of messages on here.  :)

Have a wonderful day!!

That's such a good idea, Sea Angel! :)
May I suggest so that it's clear to everybody, that for each meet up you start a new topic with a clear title mentioning Expat.com meet up + date + location?
When we see such messages we can pin them on top of the forum for a better visibility :)
Cheers
Arlette

Okay.  Thank you.

Samakauk wrote:
tonyrfsa wrote:
meems wrote:

Eastenders is a British television soap opera

yeah but this is the east end as i can imagine:)

TolgaU wrote:

yeah but this is the east end as i can imagine:)

Guess you haven't been to Brick Lane recently?

Mudman wrote:

there is a group already here, it says British & Commonwealth, but everyone is welcome I'm sure:

bcwags.net/Site_3/Welcome.html]Expat wives group in Libya

Hi,

If we are not wives but single expatiate women living in tripoli can we join ?

Moonz wrote:

If we are not wives but single expatiate women living in tripoli can we join ?

Drop them a line & ask :)

Whew! Thank gawd, the humour is back, I felt it got sabotaged.

I wonder if an Indian will be appreciated in a western set up lol, not being biased on cultural grounds, but just a thought!
It would be wonderful to do something of the type, what if someone has a smaller accomodation? Not a villa? How do you go about it?

LOl@Moel, you do have a whipping funny rib!

Why do the menfolk feel left out? There always could be a possibility of both the parties getting together..psst they could be shoved in a seperate room as per the culture here(not being rude)

@Moel, creativity of men certainly lie down there only LOL Oops!! They can't be more creative (Do I see ugly looks, daggers at me?) Change your id to 'Yeti' with that shoe size.

Feels good to see some life here, been here more than two years plus one year of me being outside this country, apart from short travel shots.
Cheers!

PS-Bengazi seems far for me to travel alone, have had sore experiences.

@goldi...still laughing at ''yeti''

god bless you:)

LOl@Tol
Save my head tomm morning will ya...i expect a bucketful of parrot droppings on my head...perhaps i won't show up tomm lol Argh!
If u see urself being hammered in another post, regarding gyms, u will utter
May the devil get u LOLZ
Im off hun...
cheers rock on
WOoooo so ye have tweenies huh?
Chweet chweet!!

I talked to someone at Bcwags and they have a waiting list of other nationalities to join.  Their membership cannot consist of more than 20 percent other nationalities.  So I guess they are at the quota.  I could not join.

As far as the Group, I figured most of the men are the ones working and most of the women are not.  So for the women who are not, I thought we could meet once a month during the day.  It could be at our homes or even at coffee shops after Ramadan is over.

Yes, single women are invited as well.  Sometimes it's just good to have women talk.  Men, I am sure you understand.  You like your men talk.  :))

We can also have another co-ed group meet after work in the evenings.  I think if we get one started, it will blossum into other things.

Ah! Such insecurity!
Well! Well!
Should have known no matter what, people cannot rise above manmade conditioned walls. smelt such attitude, and I myself don't belong here.

Anyways all have fun here folks...
Shall leave the ladies to feel secure Lol!
I have better things to do
Cheers!!

What are you talking about, Goldilocks, in your last post?

We are talking about rising up and doing something else.  I don't see any insecurity here.