English teaching positions in Hoi An

Hi,
My name is Smadar. I arrived a month ago to Vietnam and accopmlished my Celta certificate.
I'm currently looking for a job ias an English teacher in one of the cities that are located on the beach.
If someone has any reccomendations I would be happy to hear.

Thanks
:)

Many countries only accept native speakers of English or foreigners from a very short list of countries, Israel not being one of them.
That may restrict you.
I know many Israelis have a second passport, commonly from America. If that's the case, use that and you'll have a far better chance of finding work.

Hi,
I'm aware of the fact most countries are looking for native speakers yet Vietnam is not one of them.
If you know about a place looking for English teachers it would be lovely..

Smadar wrote:

Hi,
I'm aware of the fact most countries are looking for native speakers yet Vietnam is not one of them.
If you know about a place looking for English teachers it would be lovely..

Sadly, I'm unable to help, just offering general advice in the hope I can help you a little.

Edit - I've just realised, this is in a general forum. Maybe post in the Vietnam forum.

Sir
The reason for seeking native speakers is evident.
Your grammar must be 100%..these institutions are turning out teachers like a factory.
For example. I arrived IN Vietnam not TO Vietnam.
You can't teach bad grammar to paying customers and students.
I attended one of.these courses.and even the teacher/lecturer didn't have sufficient command if the English language and I ended up teaching the teacher who was supposed to be teaching.me!
She had attended such courses previously as opposed to.me.having had 7 years university.and 20 years as a technical author.
Personally I disagree with the bias against non native teachers as some have astounding abilities but it should be prerequisite for a teacher to be a master of.his subject.
Work hard and become a giver of knowledge.
Good luck

I whole heartedly agree with you. I have met many "qualified" English teachers in Vietnam, who think they are worth $25-$30 an hour, who can't even speak English properly,

Yes I did the TESL course in the UK and it appeared as a sort of certificate shop where you pay the money and they give you a certificate. Most of the students were English nationals and hopelessly inept and lacking basic education and the educator/ trainer not much better.
I hear some of the American "teachers" speaking and I kinda like cringe when they like talk to the locals, it's so like kinda gross.
Sorry for the sarcasm but its tough on professional people who work hard to master their subject.

ukteacher wrote:

Yes I did the TESL course in the UK and it appeared as a sort of certificate shop where you pay the money and they give you a certificate......
.....Sorry for the sarcasm but its tough on professional people who work hard to master their subject.

I did one of those - Bit of a waste of time.
The one I went on was with a dude who had actually worked abroad, but the training was very basic.

I met a gay Iranian asylum seeker who worked at a local chip shop that sold very nice chips, so it wasn't a total waste of time.
There's nothing as good as understanding another dude's point of view about a place.

This is an old thread, but the note about short courses is valid to it and other potential teachers considering options.