Renta Rip Offs - how do I beat the 35% commission?

Hey Everyone,

i am in shanghai, been here a week, trying to find an apartment to rent. I have seen plenty of average over priced dumps but then I found one I really like and wanted to rent - the agent told me it was 5500rmb per month and I agreed I wanted to let it, she said she would negotiate a price and get back to me, she did and was offering a two year contract @ 6500!! Seems the rental fee went up 1000rmb in 10 mins. I have declined as the agent charges a 35% commission already so clearly they think I have more money than brains!!

Sure I am an Expat here and sure I need a place to rent but im not a sucker, I choose to live and work in shanghai but this is phucking stupid - bad advertisement for China, very bad.

Can anyone suggest how I can get around the huge fee? Or where I find another apartment to rent that is around 5000rmb per month? I was looking in jing an district but perhaps I need to look further away...as long as i have access to metro 2 line.

Please help me - if you can...Im not loaded.

thanks all

Hello and welcome to Expat.com, Hmagoo! :)
Did you check out our Shanghai Classifieds -> flats for rent?
Good luck
Arlette

Arlette,

yes I have looked at them - im seeing a place this evening. Could be the solution. Many thanks for your reply.

I keep you posted (excuse the pun)

I've moved your topic to Shanghai's forum :)