Cost issues associated with setting up maintaining a vacation property

hi my name is John, I took my family to Belize at the beginning of the year and really enjoyed it. I have considered buying property in Belize as a refuge from the long cold Alberta winters. I'm trying to find out all I can about the cost issues associated with setting up maintaining a vacation property in the country

Are you looking on the mainland or islands?  Many people buy condos on the island and place their property in the rental pools.  Whenever you choose to stay there , your property is removed from the pool.  When rented, it's typical for a 70/30 split of rental fees with your rental management.

Hello johnnybravo1979  :cheers:

A new thread has been created as from your post on the Belize Forum so as to help you get more visibility and response to your post.

Regards
Kenjee

The best way to maintain a vacation home from afar is to buy a condo.  True, you have to pay the monthly condo fee but in return you get hassle free ownership and staff to keep an eye on the property.  We just bought in Placencia and are loving it.

We recently bought on Ambergris and love it, but have heard some great things about Placencia.  Thinking about looking around for some investment property in that area.  Any suggestions on good realtors to help with the search?
What about places to stay for a few days while visiting the area?
Thanks so much!

Dan Dunbar at CPC is excellent.  CPC is located right in the village and we found them to be very helpful throughout the sales process.  You can see their listings at belizeproperty.com.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your advert in the Flats for rent in Belize section.]

Unoccupied housing is an invitation to burglary, vandalism and squatting.   Much more so in Belize than what you may be accustomed to in USA.   Squatters achieve rights here in Belize, and can be difficult/costly to remove.   Condos are more expensive, and safer.   If you were to willing to pay the much higher prices on Ambergris Caye, there is the option of having the condo manager sublet your unit when you are not occupying, as well as protecting the property.  If you do not wish to live in the places where condos are available, many of the population centers have guest houses, with moderate rates for longer term stays.    Personally I would rather rent than purchase a condo in Belize.   Are condos appreciating here?   I do not know.   I do know that houses in No Belize are not appreciating and do take years for resale, often at a price less than paid.   so renting seems like a wiser choice.  This depends on where you believe you would like to locate.

where would I be able to find a reputable condo development?  I've been reading a lot of bad things from people losing money from condo scams.