Driving Licence

I just moved to Cape Town - love it!

I am a UK citizen and have a 4 year retirement visa, which means I am classified as non-resident.

I am planning to buy a car, it seems I cannot drive my own car here on my UK licence, is anybody out there in the same situation that can advise me the legal requirements?

Thanks from iroc

Hi iroc

Welcome to south africa-cape town is south africa at it's best!I hope you enjoy everyday for the next four years!
I can advise you on your current situation-unfortunately I'm not from cape town so I can't tell you where you need to go to get the following sugestions done.But I can help you with information.
Firstly-i don't think you need to buy a new car,maybe the reason you can't drive it here is because the car doesn't have a south african car license? Meaning the car is not registered here-all you need to do is go get your car a license-it needs to be renewed every year,this gives you premission to use your car on the road.
Google where it is that you should go in cape town to get your car licensed/registered
Secondly- you could take your UK license find out where you go to get an international driving permit or you could convert your UK License into a douth african license,seeing as you'll be here for a while-i say convert because I know the UK allows south africans to convert ,we get forms from the post office ,fill them out and wait a few days and wa la its converted to UK license-so I"m hoping south africa returns the favour and allows UK license holders to convert,maybe you should just double check? Otherwise getting an international driving permit should be good to go
I hope I was able to help you a little
Regards

Hi,

You can get a international license from any AA. It is valid for one yr. I know there is one in Tygervalley shopping mall in Bellville as I've used it before. Just take recent passport photos, together with your uk license with you and they issue it on the spot for a small fee.
Can't remember how much it was i'm afraid...

I am not sure who told you you cant drive your own car on a UK licence. I know you struggle to get insurance without either a SA licence or a International Driving Permit. I got my International Driving Permit yesterday at the Post OFfice in Cheltenham, GLoucestershire. It cost £5.50 and they do it there in front of you.

Moving to Cape Town in December!

Does anyone know for sure if you can convert your UK licence to a SA licence?

Would appreciate any info (possibility, process, time ...)