How to bring your car to South Africa

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to South Africa, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in South Africa?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in South Africa, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in South Africa?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

I was not having any when I came to SA but the ones i now owe i bought them this side. Bringing a vehicle that is already registered in your  home country is not that difficult but it has to be cleared by your country's authorities for it to be allowed in.

However, it is near impossible to register a used car in SA for the first time unless if you're a returning resident. For expats there is a facility but the process is tedious. If your country is not in the SADC region i would suggest not to bring your vehicle along. Dispite the paper work needed and the costs involved in shipment, it is not also safe to drive a foreign registered in SA roads. You may become a target for criminal since they'll know your car's tracking system wouldn't be active in a foreign country.