Foreign Licence

I have just found out the hard way that you have to convert your foreign drivers licence within 5 years of getting your permanent residence  (unless you have been out of the country for more than 3 months).

If you don't convert your licence within 5 years you have to take your learners and test again  :sosad:

Hello MichB

Thank you for sharing this :top:


I know how you feel, been there! Apparently once you get your permanent residence, you should convert your foreign licence within 1 year of obtaining permanent residence, if not, yes its back to being a learner and taking a test no matter how many years you have been a driver.  I chose to use my international DL but once again the International DL  cannot be renewed by AA in South Africa, you have to keep renewing from your home country. :sosad:

The traffic department told me I had 5 years.  Shame Home Affairs don't tell you this when they give you your permanent residence  :mad:

But I did pass my learners last week with 100% and off to book my drivers this weekend  :top:

Well done!! did you have to go to a driving school or can you learn those road signs etc online? I have a mental block about doing this whole thing afresh, similar to being asked to re- study your degree or re - sit your professional exams (another topic). Hope driving test goes well and please share your experience.

I found some great online sites... a lot of good ones are free. It also helped to look at the signs as you drive. I'll post the links when I am on my phone. ...

I am going for a couple of lessons so I can make sure I am driving the way they want for the test.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in South Africa

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in South Africa

Moving to South Africa

Find tips from professionals about moving to South Africa

Travel insurance in South Africa

Enjoy stress-free travel to South Africa