Temp resident card but no longer working

i got a resident card while working with a school in Saigon. i stopped working there a year ago to come back to the uk. i haven't been back to Vietnam since.  but the card expires in July 2015. is it still valid? no one ever asked me to return it and none of the conditions on the card mention the end of the labour contract. i will be returning in about a month to be with my girlfriend but don't have a job lined up. i would live to use the temp res card as it means no visa fuss, until next July anyway.

im worried im taking a gamble. im worried that at the airport the guards will see a problem with my cards' status on their system (if they even have a system like that).

is anyone able to tell me anymore?

It's the duty of you to surrender the TRC just after quit the job or your employer to send a report to the authority about your termination (then they will cancel it). If both of you failed to do so still the Card is valid until it's date of expiry   :)

thanks. no one ever mentioned that i had to return it at end of contract. my school was very anal about things like that so im surprised that they never mentioned it. i will ask a friend to call the visa authority people to check if my card is still active.

Yeah that's implied  :)

Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

How stupid would you feel if they deny you entry upon arrival at the airport and put you on the next flight home.

Don't be tight and just pay for a 1 month holiday visa so that you're sure you'll be granted entry upon arrival.

Then once you're in the country you can confirm for sure whether your residency permit is still valid or not.

Its valid till the date of surrender, its written on the back of the card. The school wouldnt notify the government as they wont want to deal with the paperwork.

tomas mac donncha wrote:

i got a resident card while working with a school in Saigon. i stopped working there a year ago to come back to the uk. i haven't been back to Vietnam since.  but the card expires in July 2015. is it still valid? no one ever asked me to return it and none of the conditions on the card mention the end of the labour contract. i will be returning in about a month to be with my girlfriend but don't have a job lined up. i would live to use the temp res card as it means no visa fuss, until next July anyway.

im worried im taking a gamble. im worried that at the airport the guards will see a problem with my cards' status on their system (if they even have a system like that).

is anyone able to tell me anymore?

I think since you still use the same passport and have TRC, no one can check your recent 1 year activity at the airport and of course, you will be able to be here again.

What I can say is "You are lucky". But remember you will have to extend the TRC 15 days before actual expire date in July 2015.

What if they already cancelled upon the request of the employer? :)

Dejavu.dot wrote:

I think since you still use the same passport and have TRC, no one can check your recent 1 year activity at the airport and of course, you will be able to be here again.
What I can say is "You are lucky". But remember you will have to extend the TRC 15 days before actual expire date in July 2015.

If the employer did that then he is in trouble, upon cancellation the card is to be returned. Im sure the school had a contact number for him and would of asked him to return the card when they cancelled his WP.

charmavietnam wrote:

What if they already cancelled upon the request of the employer? :)

Dejavu.dot wrote:

I checked the law last night. Seems there is no rule about when TRC can't be used any longer, except its own expired date. It is also possible for a company to take back the card (but his trc is still in his hand). This responsibility usually  belongs to HR staff but most of HR staff aren't educated and don't have enough qualification of this job. If he did not do any big troubles  that made the English center pay attention on his case much, they would not be free to make forms and then go to the Immigration Office to cancel his TRC.

If he is still nervous, just apply for a 3 month visa. The fee is under 100usd.

my girlfriend (who speaks vn) rang the appropriate office yesterday. they checked my card's validity using the card reference number, and told her it's still good; that it hasn't been cancelled by the school. i can enter vn with it, they said, but should return it to the school then.

would i then have to get a visa?? at that point i'd have no trc and no visa. easier just to keep it.

Of course you will need a visa if you give it back. I woukd wait till it expires then hand it over to immigration when you apply for a new visa.

tomas mac donncha wrote:

my girlfriend (who speaks vn) rang the appropriate office yesterday. they checked my card's validity using the card reference number, and told her it's still good; that it hasn't been cancelled by the school. i can enter vn with it, they said, but should return it to the school then.

would i then have to get a visa?? at that point i'd have no trc and no visa. easier just to keep it.

yes. "should" doesnt mean " have to"..Sometimes we shouldnt be honest much if that doesnt effect to anyone and even  your spending money here makes GDP increased.

Anyone know how easy or difficult is it to renew your TRC? Mine's coming up for expiration soon.

As my experience, temp card not accept, only visa  can entry to.... but there are two options you can take:
First you can scan your passport send to some one or (tour agent, or visa service....) will help you get visa, will extend right when you reach airport.

maidsaigon wrote:

As my experience, temp card not accept, only visa  can entry to.... but there are two options you can take:
First you can scan your passport send to some one or (tour agent, or visa service....) will help you get visa, will extend right when you reach airport.

Totally wrong, I used my Residents Card to leave and enter Viet Nam numerous times.

Be sure if visa expire, you need to get new, if not you get problem if do any else.. I don't your reason why you don't want to get new term visa??????

Please don't try to confuse members if you don't know anything about documents. Are you replying to the original poster or just talk something?
Temporary Residence Card is not only the permission to live in Vietnam but you can travel any time any place and re-enter without a visa.

TRC wrote:

Information
1. The holder of this card does not require a Vietnamese visa.

maidsaigon wrote:

Be sure if visa expire, you need to get new, if not you get problem if do any else.. I don't your reason why you don't want to get new term visa??????

like to say ' no more talk' to you....

A Temporary Residence Card can be used, and works exactly the same as a visa. It's basically just a longer-term visa.  Posters above who mentioned the school didn't take back the card or cancel the TRC because of the paperwork involved are correct.  It's easier for all parties to just let the TRC expire on its own, and it can be used until its expiry date. Again, it's just the same as a long-term visa, and was paid-for as such.