Having some questions to ask

Good day to everyone. I'm Mike from the Philippines. I work for an Architectural Firm in Manila. We recently joined a design competition for one of the banks in Sudan. I will be arriving on the 3rd of June 2014 for a 5 day visit and presentation. I'm a photography hobbyist and planning on going around Khartoum if my schedule permits. I have 2 days off(1st day & last day) to go around and see the beautiful sites in Sudan. Do you guys have any suggestions on places where I can get good photo ops? Is it safe to go around Khartoum by myself?  Or do I need a local to accompany me. If anyone of you will be available and kind enough to tour me around, I'd appreciate it. You can reach me at: +639199999408 or email at: [email protected]. I will be staying in Assalam Rotona Hotel.

simplyme_loidz wrote:

hello @jazzy851 and @armand, thank you for the assistance :):). yes am now in Bahrain, will be relocating to Sudan by October or November this year. I dont have much ideas about Sudan and ill be travelling alone, so am trying to check if there is Filipino Club/group in Sudan. Hope you guys can help me.

Thank you.

Hi simplyme_loidz. I also worked before in Bahrain for 2 years. I'm now based in Manila and will be going to Sudan tomorrow for a 5 day visit(design competition presentation). Worked before in Manama under one of the architectural firms there. I was staying in Hoora and our office is in Seef. Hope we could meet up in Sudan if you're free.
Thanks and have a nice day!

-Mike Dc

mikaztro wrote:

Good day to everyone. I'm Mike from the Philippines. I work for an Architectural Firm in Manila. We recently joined a design competition for one of the banks in Sudan. I will be arriving on the 3rd of June 2014 for a 5 day visit and presentation. I'm a photography hobbyist and planning on going around Khartoum if my schedule permits. I have 2 days off(1st day & last day) to go around and see the beautiful sites in Sudan. Do you guys have any suggestions on places where I can get good photo ops? Is it safe to go around Khartoum by myself?  Or do I need a local to accompany me. If anyone of you will be available and kind enough to tour me around, I'd appreciate it. You can reach me at: +639199999408 or email at: [email protected]. I will be staying in Assalam Rotona Hotel.

stay clear from government buildings and military buildings/establishment and do not try to take photos of local women, ad u'll be fine. Sudanese are one of the kindest, most polite, friendly and humble people I have lived with in my entire life.

Al Salam Rotana is the best hotel in town ......

Khartoum is SUPER safe to go around ...... don't worry :)

Thats great! Thank you for the tips. Is it safe to walk around town? Is it easy to get a cab? How much a cab rate from Rotona hotel to Khartoum downtown? Any tips on where i can buy souvenirs? Does shops accept dollar or do i have to change my dollars to Sudanese pound?
Thanks a bunch!

mikaztro wrote:

Thats great! Thank you for the tips. Is it safe to walk around town? Is it easy to get a cab? How much a cab rate from Rotona hotel to Khartoum downtown? Any tips on where i can buy souvenirs? Does shops accept dollar or do i have to change my dollars to Sudanese pound?
Thanks a bunch!

Super safe .... yes easy, usually for short-range you get one of those rikshas (tuc tucs) and for long range you get the van-like cabs

Depends on  your definition of "downtown" .... which part? Old Khartoum? Arabic Souk? ...etc.

Buy souvenirs from Afra Mall, nearby

Do NOT change dollars in Airport, hotel or shops ..... I will send u a contact u can change dollars through ..... btw, $100 bills get a better rate than $50s, and $20s/10s are the worst !

Thanks bro!
Whats the exchange rate for $100 vs $10 bill? Anyway, i will just be bringing enough $ for 5 days, not much though. My plan is to go around on my 1st day and buy some souvenirs. 2nd day and 3rd day work, 4th day site seeing and 5th day depart. Do you know where I can buy Sudan ref magnets? How about old stuff, home decors that are not expensive but worth to buy as souvenir? Btw, are you Filipino or Egyptian?

Regards,
Mike

mikaztro wrote:

Thanks bro!
Whats the exchange rate for $100 vs $10 bill? Anyway, i will just be bringing enough $ for 5 days, not much though. My plan is to go around on my 1st day and buy some souvenirs. 2nd day and 3rd day work, 4th day site seeing and 5th day depart. Do you know where I can buy Sudan ref magnets? How about old stuff, home decors that are not expensive but worth to buy as souvenir? Btw, are you Filipino or Egyptian?

Regards,
Mike

I left Sudan a year and a half ago, the rate has increased signficantly since then, used to be for instance 600 for a $100 ($1 = 6 SDG) but 550 for $100 of smaller bills .... (5.5 SDG) ......

For souvenirs Afra Mall is your best bet. It's almost adjacent to your hotel. You can also go to Al Waha Mall and the surrounding Souk (bazar) in Al Souk Al Araby.

I am Egyptian, and I lived in Sudan for 8 months in 2012.

Excellent tips. Thanks! Will follow your advice.

Hi Migs, I'm wondering if your store also sells other Asian  food products, I.e from Singapore / Malaysia / Thailand ?