Indian/malayalee community in Khartoum and safety level

Dear all

We are getting an offer to work in khartoum. Anybody pls answer our doubts.
We are indians, could you please tell me about the indian community in khartoum?
Is there any malayalee association overe there?
How safe it is to live there with family?
What about the schooling for children?
Is tjere any dress code for foreigners?
How is the political stability in khartoum?
Hw about the food? Is there indjan grocery shops?

I know my questions are many. Bt please help us with possible.answers..

Thank you

Hi,

We are indians, could you please tell me about the indian community in khartoum?
Ans: Fairly decent sized indian community here, at least there are more indians than pakistanis.

Is there any malayalee association overe there?
Not sure about any malayalee association but most of the Indians I have met here are from south india.

How safe it is to live there with family?
Ans: Safer than most Indian cities perhaps, Khartoum is actually one of the safest cities in the world with crime rate lower than that of London!

What about the schooling for children?
Ans: International Schools are very expensive, so you make sure that schooling expense is covered in your employment contract (at least partially). International schools can cost 6000-12000 usd per annum per child for beginner classes! Local cambridge schools are much more manageable with fee ranging from 800-1500 usd per annum.

Is tjere any dress code for foreigners?
Ans: Not as such, should not be immodest though. Most Sudanese women wear ankle length skirts with shirts/blouses these days. Jeans is also fairly common in upper middle class.

How is the political stability in khartoum?
Ans: Fairly stable, there have been some protests though which I heard about, but never saw one myself nor did I notice any effect on public life.

Hw about the food? Is there indjan grocery shops?
Ans: Yes, you can find most spices in super markets, as well as in local markets called souqs.

I know my questions are many. Bt please help us with possible.answers..
You may feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Thank you

Thanks so much well explaining.. really helped us a lot. Bit worried to hear about the school fees though

Thanks so much well explaining.. really helped us a lot. Bit worried to hear about the school fees though