My Experience in Sudan

Hello,
I will say that I came here on April 6th and I pray to God that I can leave on June 30th. My experience here has not been a very good one. I am an ESL teacher brought here to start a new International School in Port Sudan. I love the kids, the parents, the people I work with and really don't hate Sudan at all. Yes, it's hot, but everywhere has something that can't be helped. The main problem I have is the people I work for. They pay the Sudanese workers faithfully, with thanks written on the envelope; they are never late giving them their money. I, on the other hand, the Head Mistress and "prize" foreign teacher they are putting in front of the parents, have YET to be paid my money. There is always a reason why I can't be paid. They kept my passport for 2 months saying it was necessary for the work visa and I have to get their permission to get an exit visa to leave the country for summer vacation. All the homes here have a backup generator, but I live at the school, and they REFUSE to get one for here. So, when the electricity goes out every day more than it's on, I lose all the food in the fridge and sleep in the heat with mosquitoes buzzing in around the holes where the air conditioner should be running. I have never been so disrespected in my life. No, I don't hold all this against Sudan; I consider the source. But the happiest day of my life will be when I get out of here and back to the REAL world instead of being held hostage in hell!

I am sorry you had to endure all this. :(

Believe it or not, I am going to Egypt to work where I worked before as soon as I can get out of here. Egypt's not perfect, by any means, but I never had to beg for the money I already earned. Yes, the electricity goes off sometimes, but it's back in a few hours too. Alex here I come... in shaa ALLAH!

If it is not an intrusive question, may I ask why would they withhold your payment? what reasons did they give????

And re-exit visa, they are not being honest with you. I know the visa rules here very well.

Drop me your contacts in a private message so I can call you and discuss it with you if you want.

The reasons are varied: "... I was out of the country." "Umm... it's not my job to pay you, that's my partner's issue.. he brought you here..." "Ummm.. the partner hasn't told me how much to pay you and he won't answer his phone." "Ummm.. maybe next week I will give you something... ummmm..... THE LIST IS ENDLESS AND BORING OUTRIGHT LIES!  School ends for the summer on June 30th and I am promised to "get my pay and exit visa then...". I believe ONLY WHAT I SEE! I basically lived for 3 months here with just $400USD! But I am also prepared to walk away, lesson learned, just for the chance to get out of this prison. It hurts to know I can't finish the great education I started with the kids... they are so intelligent, loving, and deserve so much more from life. I guess going back to Egypt to pick up where I left off in an International School there isn't all bad.. at least I never had to beg for my salary... and my Egyptian husband wasn't unwelcome there either!

Frostymom wrote:

The reasons are varied: "... I was out of the country." "Umm... it's not my job to pay you, that's my partner's issue.. he brought you here..." "Ummm.. the partner hasn't told me how much to pay you and he won't answer his phone." "Ummm.. maybe next week I will give you something... ummmm..... THE LIST IS ENDLESS AND BORING OUTRIGHT LIES!  School ends for the summer on June 30th and I am promised to "get my pay and exit visa then...". I believe ONLY WHAT I SEE! I basically lived for 3 months here with just $400USD! But I am also prepared to walk away, lesson learned, just for the chance to get out of this prison. It hurts to know I can't finish the great education I started with the kids... they are so intelligent, loving, and deserve so much more from life. I guess going back to Egypt to pick up where I left off in an International School there isn't all bad.. at least I never had to beg for my salary... and my Egyptian husband wasn't unwelcome there either!

This is really mean (the reasons for not paying).

and, what do you mean by your Egyptian husband not being unwelcome. Is he unwelcome here? why?

The Egyptian wrote:

And re-exit visa, they are not being honest with you. I know the visa rules here very well.

Drop me your contacts in a private message so I can call you and discuss it with you if you want.

Ask you husband to call me/or send me his phone # in Sudan. You guys need to know the visa process. These crooks are using you.

How did you enter the country? on a pre-arranged Passport Visa (visa affixed to your passport at a Sudanese embassy), or with an Entry Permit that was mailed/emailed to you and then had the visa affixed in Khartoum airport?

How long was your initial visa valid for? I assume 2 months.

If you stay on a two months visa, and get an extension for a third month (extension, not exit visa), and you DON'T stay for one day more than three months, you DO NOT need an exit visa. I can confirm that ..... I work in a multinational organization and only my team - not the whole company - has more than 30 different nationalities. All of them come and go without an exit visa (except when they stay for 3+ months).

My husband is in Egypt still, because they told me, after I agreed to come here that there would be no way for him to come here. I was given an entry visa by the school to come here ... then after I got here, they took my passport and applied for the work visa. Then entry visa ran out on June 5th.. and I didn't get my passport back until June 14th. So, now I have to get an exit visa with permission from them. I hope to leave on June 30th after school is finished for the summer. We are having a program that morning for the kids and parents, then, in shaa ALLAH I will leave that evening on the once a week plane from Port Sudan to Cairo. "Supposedly", they will pay me and give me the multiple entry/exit visa before that time. I really don't need the multiple entry/exit visa... but I will play along with it until I can get to Egypt... then.. masalamma! I think the thing I hate most about this whole situation is that I feel like I have no choices in what happens to me and they will do as they please about how they pay me...of course, the contract I was supposed to sign NEVER came into view to be signed. Really, I pray so hard I can just get back to my husband in Egypt. It may be so crazy there right now because of the political situation, but even last year after the revolution broke out, I never felt I was in any danger. I don't stay in the streets and my busband does all the shopping so really I'm fine there.

Frostymom wrote:

My husband is in Egypt still, because they told me, after I agreed to come here that there would be no way for him to come here. I was given an entry visa by the school to come here ... then after I got here, they took my passport and applied for the work visa. Then entry visa ran out on June 5th.. and I didn't get my passport back until June 14th. So, now I have to get an exit visa with permission from them. I hope to leave on June 30th after school is finished for the summer. We are having a program that morning for the kids and parents, then, in shaa ALLAH I will leave that evening on the once a week plane from Port Sudan to Cairo. "Supposedly", they will pay me and give me the multiple entry/exit visa before that time. I really don't need the multiple entry/exit visa... but I will play along with it until I can get to Egypt... then.. masalamma! I think the thing I hate most about this whole situation is that I feel like I have no choices in what happens to me and they will do as they please about how they pay me...of course, the contract I was supposed to sign NEVER came into view to be signed. Really, I pray so hard I can just get back to my husband in Egypt. It may be so crazy there right now because of the political situation, but even last year after the revolution broke out, I never felt I was in any danger. I don't stay in the streets and my busband does all the shopping so really I'm fine there.

I am so sorry .... but this is utter nonsense (on their part) ....

Egyptians are the only citizenship with unrestricted access in Sudan .... Egyptians can come and stay as long as they wish to .... can even work without a permit .... no visa.... no police registration .... no nothing ..... so them telling you that your husband CANNOT come is crap .....

If you have your passport now, and you had a two month visa PLUS a one month extension, you do NOT need an exit visa. PERIOD.

This whole scenario is wrong and bad.. but, the loss will definitely be theirs when they have to find another "golden foreign one" to put in front of the parents.Yes, I lose alot too, because this was my dream of a lifetime to start a school to bring better education for deserving, but that's how it goes, I guess. They never even offered me a 1 month extension to see if I was sure I would stay, but they also never mentioned that they planned to deal so badly with me either. They said Mohamed could not come here because the Sudanese hate Egyptians and would never employ him or accept him living with me here in the flat at the school. They didn't offer me outside housing either.I asked them if husbands and wives are allowed to live together in Sudan and they said yes, but Egyptians aren't really accepted here and he would make a bad image for the school. I asked them about the agreement for him to come initially when we talked about the terms of the contract and they said they had changed their minds because it would look bad for the school. Ok, so, I will just go back to Egypt where he is well repected and accepted; problem solved. Again, their loss. He knows EVERYTHING there is to know about how to manage work crews and how to manage and repair electrical generators and most problems in the home with electricity, plumbing, air conditioners, everything like this. He could be very useful to this situation.

Frostymom wrote:

They said Mohamed could not come here because the Sudanese hate Egyptians and would never employ him or accept him living with me here in the flat at the school. They didn't offer me outside housing either.I asked them if husbands and wives are allowed to live together in Sudan and they said yes, but Egyptians aren't really accepted here and he would make a bad image for the school. I asked them about the agreement for him to come initially when we talked about the terms of the contract and they said they had changed their minds because it would look bad for the school.

this is absolute nonsense ..... The Sudanese hate Egyptians? lol !!!

Im so sorry to have such disgraceful Sudanese....and sorry i only read this blog now.....The Egyptian is right....these people just brought you in for an image and abused your presence...

Why in the hell would sudanese not like egyptians???? ESPECIALLY the ones in Port Sudan...the whole summer they go spend it in Egypt.

I just hope that your experience did not render ALL Sudanese as bad as your employeers....

Mohdgasim wrote:

Why in the hell would sudanese not like egyptians???? ESPECIALLY the ones in Port Sudan...the whole summer they go spend it in Egypt.

In my humble opinion the whole story does not add up.

Egyptians cannot come, then no, it's her husband that cannot come and work, then no, he cannot live with her (If they have a legitimate marriage contract it is no body's business). Having an Egyptian husband is now a bad image in Sudan? COME ON!  There are already so many mixed families in Sudan with Egyptian-Sudanese couples, whether it's an Egyptian husband or a wife..

I have been working and living here for more than 7 plus months and the Sudanese people have been more like a family to me and all Egyptians here, very warm, welcoming, respectful and friendly.

Thank you The Egyptian....and in Sudan we know that everyone is welcome....we even have jews living in Khartoum and no one hassles them in any way....let alone having an Egyptian. And for your information, the majority of lighter coloured Sudanese have Egyptian, Morocco or Saudi family history....the majority of them being Egyptian....

i don't think so Sudanese are rude people with foreigners like foreigners feel in Switzerland and many other countries.

ashfaque1980 wrote:

i don't think so Sudanese are rude people with foreigners like foreigners feel in Switzerland and many other countries.

One month after leaving Sudan and I already miss it and miss its kind, courteous and polite people. I would not be exaggerating if I say I was living with family not in a foreign country.

Thanks Sudan and thanks to the great Sudanese people for your hospitality.

hi Egyptian I apply for jbo in khartum as reservation agent so do u have info about scale salary for reservation agent in 5 star hotel in kharotun and do u think i need visa there and is live cheap o expensive

thnaks

Hilton wrote:

hi Egyptian I apply for jbo in khartum as reservation agent so do u have info about scale salary for reservation agent in 5 star hotel in kharotun and do u think i need visa there and is live cheap o expensive

thnaks

If you are Egyptian as your profile states, you need absolutely nothing. No visa, residence, work permit.

No idea about the salaries, but NEVER accept a job where the salary is paid in SDG (or even in USD but paid in the equivalent amount in SDG).

Life is cheap and expensive at the same time. depending on the item you are asking about

(Moderated: off topic)

Thanks a lot Egyptian for your nice words and your feeling that you are among your family.:)