SAFETY MATTERS IN NAIROBI

HI GOT THE OFFER FROM G.O.C. FROM NAIROBI. JUST TELL ME IS IT THE GOOD PLACE TO LIVE WITH FAMILY. ABOUT SAFETY MATTERS & EXPENSES (I.E. FOOD, SCHOOLING ETC.) NEED RESPONSE ASAP. GUYS.

place is safe n okay! for school! plenty,housing depends with your budget!

It depends with your budget.

Please do not use cap lock here on the forums. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hi Sandip,
Kenya is safe,no worries about that.Like any other city in the world there are areas that are safer than others.
Remember:The news tells you some of what's happening abroad but it doesn't give the whole picture.

To help with your questions we'd need to know:
1) Are you considering private schools that use a foreign curriculum system or private schools on the kenyan education system?
2) Food in Nairobi is affordable and you can find anything as its culturally diverse.
    Some cuisines have select stores e.g Asian
    Fresh produce is cheaper in open air markets that in the supermarkets.
3) Rent depends on budget, location,the type of housing(i.e town house,apartment,furnished e.t.c)
    If i knew where you will work and your budget then it would be easier to give you ideal neighborhoods.

Welcome to Kenya.

Kenya can be inexpensive but Nairobi is not one of the places within Kenya that is. To stay in a safe and nice area, a two bedroom apartment can cost 600.00 USD a month and more if you need furnished. Private schools are very expensive if you're looking for an International Cirriculum but you will be able to find good schools, that is not a problem. Everything depends on what exactly you're looking for, but in my opinion I spend more money here on housing, schooling, and food (I buy from Nakumatt) then I did in America. Fruits and Vegetables are cheap but that's about it.  If you can live in maybe Mombasa or another city, it's not near as pricey or unsafe for that matter.

hi boss ,am in Nairobi,just to advice you that living here depends on your pocket.every good things will go as per your badget.

I am a european expat who will be in nairobi in a few month . I will work in an embasy. So, I am interesting in know which are the better neighborhoods for a foreighner . I will be alone and I no sure how rent a flat cost.

Hello Español errante and welcome on board

You could check out our Flats for rent in Nairobi section to get an idea of the market price. I also invite you to check out other threads created by expats to gather useful infos before you move to nairobi.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi Brian, remember that I'll be there for the second half of August. You know I will need a place where to stay for two or three weeks. Certainly I will have to pay for the whole month. Make sure you find a safe área, well communicated by means of transport.

Best regards
Edmundo

okay Ed...no problem