Schengen visa for Vietnamese, how hard is it?

Hi there,

Just wanted a second opinion on this issue (thanks VungTauDon for your opinions).  Wife is Vietnamese, self-employed, makes $1200/month, lives in Vietnam, is not a Canadian permanent resident yet, travelled to USA before on a 1 year student visa, Singapore x2, China, does not own a house, lives with parents, has entire family in Vietnam but has a cousin/aunt in France, as well a close family friend who will let us live with him rent free for a week. 

We plan on going to France together for a week in December, and then Spain and Italy for another week, total 2 weeks in Europe.  All 3 countries are Schengen states.  I'm Canadian, have a house and a good paying job at home, we both plan on going together. 

What are the odds of her getting approved for a Schengen visa?  I'm Canadian so I dont need one, but I just wanted to know how easy  or hard it is for Vietnamese citizens to get this visa, thanks.

Her relatives can write her an invitation letter, for visiting purpose. Then she should make a clear plan what would she do in Europe and from when to when.

The French and Italian are much easier in issuing visas, in compared to the Germans and the Swiss, for example.

We're going to try to apply in September, here's hoping for the best!

mikeymyke wrote:

We're going to try to apply in September, here's hoping for the best!

From my experiences, I think because you are accompanying her,, ( and she is your wife ),  it shouldn't be a problem, I sponsored my sis n law to go to Aus for a visit, a couple of years ago, but was outsmarted by technology,, the Aus Immigration knew I was still in VN.
Are you more worried about the VN Govt allowing her to go , or getting the Visa from Europe.?
I attempted to sponsor a single lady from China a few years ago, the Chinese Govt required her to lodge a $30,000 refundable bond with them. ( Maybe VN has this scheme, they seem to copy everything else China does, except ask for permission to drill for oil?? ).

Even though Vietnam has an authoritarian government, I don't think they deny Vietnamese citizens the ability to travel.  The problem is that many destination countries demand documents and other requirements from Vietnamese citizens before getting a visa, while other more affluent nations can just simply enter visa-free.

Therefore, I think the problem lies in whether or not she can get a Schengen visa, not whether or not Vietnam will allow her to go.  We plan on staying in France for most of our trip, so we have to apply at the French consulate general in Saigon.  Hope everything goes well.

What was the result of the interview?

A Schengen visa doesn't really exist. It's an agreement between certain EU countries that recognise each others visas to avoid repetitive visa applications. The UK is not a member.

A new Schengen 'visa' application centre opened in Ho Chi Minh City on 2013 January 02.

VFS Global Group
Floor 4, Resco Tower
94-96 Nguyen Du,  Phuong Ben Nghe
District 1, HCM        710011

GPS: 10.777478, 106.698489

Tel: +84-(0)-8-3939-0895
E-m: [email protected]
Web: http://www.vfsglobal.com/spain/vietnam/

The submission hours are: 08:30-12:00H and 13:00-16:00H, Monday to Friday.

Resco Tower is located on Nguyen Du between Pasteur and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia. All are one-way streets, so check on www.DiaDiem.com!

bluenz wrote:

Are you more worried about the VN Govt allowing her to go , or getting the Visa from Europe.?
I attempted to sponsor a single lady from China a few years ago, the Chinese Govt required her to lodge a $30,000 refundable bond with them. ( Maybe VN has this scheme, they seem to copy everything else China does, except ask for permission to drill for oil?? ).

VN gave up bonds, bank accounts, property, etc as security years ago.

Only VNese in sensitive government positions have restrictions these days.

CAUTION: Following the murder of Charlie Hebdo magazine writers, France has demanded that certain provisions of the Schengen be tightened up.

Better keep an eye out for any changes in about 2 months (March-April) time.

According to your shechedule, i advise that she apply visa viva French consulate if she live from Da Nang to South of Vietnam. French Consulate is easier than other consulate and time for issue  visa is only take  around 3- 4 days.

Lieu wrote:

According to your shechedule, i advise that she apply visa viva French consulate if she live from Da Nang to South of Vietnam. French Consulate is easier than other consulate and time for issue  visa is only take  around 3- 4 days.

The consulates of countries in the Schengen Agreement are now using the commercial outfit I listed above. Portugal had a reputation for being really easy, if you knew how.