Job opportunity in Hotel Industry in Malaysia

I am here in Malaysia since 3 year's now, working for a small chain of budget hotels as a General Manager my past experience was 18 years in 5 Star Hotels.  Marriott Hotel International, Pearl Continental Hotel, Holiday Inn, Mercure Grand (Accor Hotels) etc.

I worked as a Director Sales & Marketing 8 years before General Manager post I worked in Pakistan & Dubai

Now I wanted to switch my Job in a Star Hotel as a Executive Assistant Manager ( EAM)  or Room Divisional Manager (RDM) please guide me how to apply because here in Malaysia its very difficult to get a job if you are a foreigner.

Waiting for some kind help.

If you still have contacts in the large hotel groups you mention, then ask them to forward a VERY GOOD CV that you have prepared to their HR Director or Manager, explaining that you would like to re-join. It sometimes is better coming from a current (senior) employee than just as a cold drop.

Otherwise, find out the name of the hiring manager for each of the large groups you have worked in before and write them a personal letter, explaining your circumstances and how you would see your future if you returned.

Unfortunately if you burnt any bridges when you left, that will probably be a major barrier.  If you had to leave for family reasons, then of course this is worth pointing out.  A lot of employers on principle do not take back employees.

If you have performance documents from your previous employments, then enclose these with your covering letter and CV.

From time to time there are openings in some of the more remote resorts around Malaysia. If you check on the usual databases for the hotel industry, they should be listed. 

http://www.hospitalityonline.com/jobs/where/Malaysia

For the life of me I cannot understand why you would want to stop working for 5 star hotel groups such as the Marriott and move to working for a budget chain of hotels. It should be the other way around. You need to get back in with Marriott to have a good and safe career. The Accor group of hotels is good but it just doesn't compare to Marriott as far as job opportunities and prestige are concerned. A fe people I know in the hotel industry worked for Mercure and Novotels in Asia and Dubai and are now sitting comfortably with great managerial jobs in Marriott or other 5 star hotels.

Yes you are 100% right, but you are thinking from your own prospect the reason leaving Marriott or other 5 Star hotels in Pakistan is the situation I can quote 1000 examples that my ex colleagues from Marriott wanted to come to Malaysia or Dubai for any suitable post according to their experience even in a Budget Hotel.

I will not go in detail but leaving the Job from Marriott or other hotel are not the issue, my Issue is how to get a job in Malaysia if you have any clue do let me know instead of lecture :)

Don't take me wrong actually you don't understand the seriousness and I definitely don't want to tell you also on a open forum.

Anyways thanks for you kind word

To be honest your chances are exceedingly small, because in effect you do not have existing experience in the * hotel industry in Malaysia.  Therefore you would be a less attractive candidate than someone who has that experience, even if they had moved around the world but stayed in the * hotel industry and are looking for promotion.

At the job levels you mentioned, you would expect to have local staff under you, so local languages such as BM, Cantonese, Mandarin, etc. would be essential. So the only already suggested method is to use your own network in the * hotel industry and get your CV in front of the hiring manager.

All foreigners in Malaysia have to use the networking route to get career moves.  You could try All1KL who have a placement service for foreigners.

Good Luck.

Gravits, I am extremely thankful for your concern and link I really appreciate your honest opinions, yes you are right about the language and other problems, but I have not left my felid I am same in the hotel industry and now I gained 3 years experience also in Malaysia its a small hotel but still the same field and all my staff also Malaysian we never had any problem regarding language.

I think no harm trying to get a job if nothing happen then I will open my own Budget hotel or a Small Restaurant just for the sake of earning some thing, but first I will try honestly.

Thanks one again

Best Regards

Good luck with your networking. It's not what you know, it's who you know. If you can get a business partner who is Malaysian, it will be far less expensive to open a restaurant or run a hotel in Malaysia. There are some interesting resources here, for anyone else who may be interested:

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/how-to-s … -malaysia/http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/how-to-s … -malaysia/