Typical expat packages

I'm in the early stages of negotiating a move to KL to manage a software development and support group.

I can't find much information on what the typical expat package in Malaysia consists of, for me the biggest concerns would be around education (3 kids in primary school), accommodation (would prefer a house with a yard for the kids to be able to play in), health care, moving expenses and potentially trips home for holidays (Perth).

I realise that there's not likely to be a typical package, but could others in similar situations provide some details of what their packages include?

Thanks,

Roger.

What you mention is a pretty standard package for any relocation. 

One other element could be a lump sum payment at the beginning to help buy items needed because of say voltage or telecommunication differences (e.g. televisions).

Some firms offer a terminal payment for completion of the overseas contract.

Household goods shipments (air and surface) may also be offered.

Home leave is usually not seen as a holiday but a return to origin to keep up connections (some companies offer some days extra to the Annual Leave to do this and then extend it with AL for longer visits.

Healthcare should include ambulatory (minor issues at a Dr. surgery) and hospitalization elements as well as dentistry. Check the policy carefully to make sure it covers everything.

Property leases should be signed by the company and rents paid direct making certain there is a "diplomatic" clause in case the need to move arises.

Income tax issues need managing, so paid access to lawyers and accountants.

At least one vehicle and a petrol allowance or card. Having a personal driver is the best option to request.

Hi expat packages should include full medical for family, education for all children at a decent school like iskl, a car, a condo or bungalow. Used to include maids and cooks but less so these days. Plus western salary plus yearly flights home for all family.

What happens a lot now is "local expat packages" which is salary only - usually a lower one. Avoid as education in Malaysia is extortionately  expensive.

Nemodot I think it depend on your profession as I think most companies do not give all that you have mentioned. I think if you are in teaching you will get accommodation, medical, flights and education paid for. I also know a lot of people that work for oil companies that get similar package however the salary is lower.

My hubby gets a fixed salary and we pay for school, rental, cars etc ourselves. I think it's better this way as we have the choice on what we want to spend our money on.

Roger, I would recommend you ask for shipping and flights to be covered. You should also demand relocation help as if you don't ask you won't get. This should include help with property and school search as well as orientation.

I would  recommend that you ask for a higher salary as the school fees are very high. You will be looking at around 50,000 rm per year for a good international school. On top of the fees you will have to pay for registration and admission fees, uniforms, school lunches etc. per child.

Good luck trying to find a house with a yard, not easy to come by and not safe for expats unless it is in a guarded and gated community. Do not mean to alarm you but expats are more of a target.  It depends where you want to live, most expats live in condos. I also live in a condo in Mont Kiara, this is a expat area. Bangsar is another good area, with locals and expats and you are likely to find what you are looking for in this area. It all depends where you will be working and then to look around for properties. Just to warn you, traffic in KL is a nightmare as there are too many cars especially in rush hour.

Good luck and if you need any further info let me know

What has happened in last ten years is that real expat packages have got far less frequent. Local hire packages are cheaper and less hassle. And with mass unemployment in the west lots of westerners and Indians displaced from USA/UK look for jobs especially in IT.

Supply and demand! And the world moves East....

Thanks for the feedback, will be interesting to see how the negotiations go.