4G at home and on the go

Dear All,

Sorry for being ignorant but I am slightly confused. This arises from the fact that we do not have 3G and 4G services in Pakistan. I will be shifting to Riyadh soon and need a few suggestions and clarifications.

If I get a 4G wifi router for home from STC which comes with a SIM card then

1) Can I use wifi services at home ?
2) Can I use wifi services outside home just with the SIM card without the router being physically present with me at all times ?
3) If I am using wifi services with the SIM outside home, can my family who may be at home avail wifi services through the router alone or the SIM need to be present with the router for it to work.

I will be grateful for your replies.

1) yes for sure.
2) yes you can just insert the SIM into any smart phone.
3) no they cant, the SIM must be in the router.

Thanks bro. That clarifies quite a lot. Thanks again

What if I want internet connectivity outside home and inside home at the same time. What is the best way to go about this ?. Do I need 2 separate connections ?. What according to you would be the most convenient and economical way to go about this. ?

Thanks bro for your help

Guys let me know if a 3G SIM works with a 4g Router ?.

I don't think there should be a problem but please let me know.

Thanks

Yes
Work both
3G & 4g

nauman.zahir wrote:

Dear All,

Sorry for being ignorant but I am slightly confused. This arises from the fact that we do not have 3G and 4G services in Pakistan. I will be shifting to Riyadh soon and need a few suggestions and clarifications.

If I get a 4G wifi router for home from STC which comes with a SIM card then

1) Can I use wifi services at home ?
2) Can I use wifi services outside home just with the SIM card without the router being physically present with me at all times ?
3) If I am using wifi services with the SIM outside home, can my family who may be at home avail wifi services through the router alone or the SIM need to be present with the router for it to work.

I will be grateful for your replies.

There is more of what you have questioned :)

In reality, no one takes out SIM from router and put it in the phone... and put it back on and on. There are 2 major reasons for that:

First, the SIMs here are of 2 kinds:

1- Usual SIM cards - You can make and receive calls/SMSs apart from internet.
2- Data SIMs - Just internet nothing else

For the internet intentions, you get half the bandwidth on a usual SIM as compared to a dedicated data SIM. For example, if you get 1GB internet bandwidth on a usual SIM card for X Riyals, you'll get for the same money twice the bandwidth on a dedicated data SIM i.e., 2GB. But why would you take out this SIM from your router and slide it into your phone (as you'll lose call and SMS functions).

Secondly, the best internet here is still the one coming through the telephone land-lines (STC Jood packages). There is an amazing 90-95% efficiency customer satisfaction rate. What we do here is to have usual SIMs in our smartphones to have on-the-go internet and roam around. The home internet stays at home through the land-line telephone.

Can cellular devices be connected to the internet coming through landlines ?. If not what is the solution ?. Please guide. Thanks for the help

nauman.zahir wrote:

Can cellular devices be connected to the internet coming through landlines ?. If not what is the solution ?. Please guide. Thanks for the help

Obviously, through WiFi you can connect your mobile devices to internet reaching your home. I guess that's what you asked right?

@TLL Thanks for your patience and your replies.

What I want to ask is that if I use the traditional land line associated internet at home, how will I be able to connect my various cellular devices to the net. Will that be through the SIMs of those phones or is there a way through the landline ?

So in case of using the landline internet at home and the SIMs for internet use on the go, that leaves no need for a wifi router.  Right ?

Ok. Let me elucidate.

Landline telephone cable is connected to a device called router (just an ADSL router; don't confuse it with a 4G router). No SIMs involved.

The ADSL router does have a WiFi module. Your landline internet thus goes on air. Now your smartphones etc can use the home landline internet via WiFi.

For cellular service (calls and sms), your cell phone will have a SIM card that you won't remove.

That's how you'll have a 24/7 fast internet service at your home and your phone while you're there.

Great. Thanks TLL. Things are much clearer