Moving to Jubail (need assistance)

I have accepted a job at a local university in Jubail and I would like to know the best compound to live and affordable. My salary is SR 8000 a month. I have a doctorate degree this seems a bit low I am not sure. Please help me, my husband and my child will be moving here with me. I need to be somewhere that will not be far from my place of employment. Jubail University. Please any assistance would be appreciated.

NW

what other facilities they are offering, I don't think this is a very gud salary you even can not afford a gud accommodation nor a good schooling for your kid. but 1st let me know the other facilities they are offering.

Yes NW, for an expat, doctorate degree, moving in with your family, living in jubail, this is I am sorry to say bull shit, even if you still have other allowance which seems like you did not have, please reconsider this offer, and bargain for better package.

The salary is very very low
Jubail is great city for families.

What is your citizenship?  That's the primary determinant of your salary.  Also, how many years of post-doctoral teaching experience do you have?

Serioiusly that very very low! kindly re-consider moving in.

Housing, and medical is included for SR 900 a month and school is covered once he is in grade one but my son is 2/1/2 so I will have to find preschool. I would like to know if it's better to take the housing allowance or choose their housing. My husband is a writer/journalist/web editor/photographer do you think it will be hard for him to find a job?
I am American and have been teaching college for 10 years but just received my doctorate in October 2013. I am an American citizen.
Which compound in Jubail is nice and affordable.

NW.

Again, the salary offered and allowance is way too low mam'. Please negotiate with them again.

What subject do you teach?  If you are a US citizen, you can easily get 15k* basic plus furnished compound housing in universities in Jeddah and Riyadh.  And those cities will be better for your husband and son as well.  I know female Western lecturers with Master's degrees are getting about 12-15k+ plus furnished compound housing at 2 women's universities in Jeddah.  When are you supposed to start?  Reject the offer and apply to universities and colleges in Jeddah, Riyadh, and Khobar for a Fall term start.

*This is assuming your subject is not ESL.  If ESL, you can expect about 12K plus other benefits.

You can not afford compound in this salary even u can not manage your running expenses sorry but it is too low.

I am awaiting my visa. I should be arriving once I get it. I just send an email out requesting a higher salary. I wonder if they will allow me to switch after year to another university.

English

Do not build your plans on the possibility of switching after a year, because they simply might not accept (which is the most likely will happen). Now (before your arrival) is your only option to get things corrected.

Okay, thank you. Working on it as we speak.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Look at this way... your salary is about $26k per year.  I remember watching Sesame Street as a child and one of the segments was on garbage collectors in NYC, and they earn $25k per year, and this was 25 years ago!

Sure, it is tax free here, so that $26k perhaps corresponds to $40k in the US, hardly worth moving for to this country, is it, especially considering that Western lecturers with Master's degrees are earning around $40k to $55k in the big cities here, plus other substantial benefits?  The salary they are offering you is even below what universities in big cities offer to South Asian PhDs, and us South Asians get the lowest salaries in any educational institution, with Westerners getting double or more for the same qualifications and position!

Maybe they don't know you are a US citizen   :joking:

1. Salary is too low compared to anyone here. (Being an American, I wonder how you accepted to this salary.)
2. With this salary, you can only live in a small apartment and manage your expenses.
3. You cannot save anything with this salary.
4. In Jubail, transportation services are very weak & hance, you may need a car as well.

Hence, I'm sorry to say the above, your salary is not suffice.

Note: If they provide the accommodation, transportation and school for kids, then you can manage. However, its hard to save.

Seriously do not go to Saudi Arabia for 8000 riyaals this amount is not even given to those with just a BA, you have a doctorate you could be getting 20,000 a month. Living in a compound is expensive miminum I'd say is 10, 000 a month.

[Moderated: Off topic.]

That's a bad salary! The norm for housing is 3 months salary/SR24000 for a one year rental.
You won't find housing near the University less than SR65000 a year also prior to your husbands arrival the university must provide female housing as your not allowed to live alone and car or bus service must be provided.
My advice is to stay in the USA!

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Old thread, please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct