Where do we start quito rental

We are currently living in San Jose Costa Rica. My wife says she wants to rent next winter in Quito. We are fit. I am a British national ,she is Canadian. need a furnished two bedroom apartment .Second bedroom for friends and family. What are the safe areas . How is the water .Transportation system ?The  only response so far was from a person that we found has a bad reputation. who should we be talking to?
  Many thanks
Eric YJanis Whalley

No substitute for hands on investigation and personal visits to satisfy these questions.

The most expensive thing I ever purchased was " free advice"

Do it yourself , avoid the naysayers, thieves, online friends and others with their own self serving agendas.

On the the web as you are you're always blind on this type of topic.

Good Luck

Eric,

Nice neighborhoods to look up in Quito:

Bellavista, Tenis, Cumbaya (modern suburban valley 30 minute commute to city in traffic), Republica Salvador, El Batan, Tumbaco (again suburb 45 minute commute to city), Pomasqui (45 minute commute to city center but access to modern malls and shopping in El Condado), Amagasi del Inca, Mariscal (certain sections), La Floresta, Gonzalez Suarez, InaQuito, JipiJapa, and many others. 

Quito is a pretty big city with 2.5 million in its metro.  The first step is deciding which of these neighborhoods is right for you.  Then the search begins.  If you know Spanish its not super hard to get an apartment here. 

You can read online all day and night but until you come you will be making a decision in the blind.

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworld.com
Ecuador Travel and Living

Buenos dias
  Muchos gracias por su pensimento y ayuder.So  the  first is  we like to walk . We do not want to be in a highrise . a two or a three floor walk up is fine . Cerca a los mercados y la parade de la autobus y  a la Eglisia Catolica.
  Gracias
  Eric

I just returned from a visit to Quito.  Wonderful City with wonderful areas in which to live.  I agree with those who advise getting first hand knowledge.  I plan to return in May to do just that.  I'm not ready to rent yet but I know of areas, from my visit I would like to live and want to get an idea of what is available.
Ecuador seems to be in transition.  You can find wonderful places to live with unbelievably low costs of living, but you will also find the greedy taking advantage of those less informed.  There is one in particular, who trolls this site, to avoid.  Visit, get to know a few Ecuadorians, and they will happily point you in the right direction.

Yes
  I know the one of which you speak . He uses aliases as well . Read the reviews on him.
    all should be aware of him
   Eric

Unless you want to overpay, ignore pretty much every apartment for rent add you see online, and search by using the el commercial newspaper or simply walking nice areas looking for rental signs. You'll probably pay less for a cheap hotel room than you will for most of the furnished apartments you find in onlione adds. Rents in Quito are going up pretty fast at the moment.

Transportation in quito is cheap and easy to use, but the buses are sometimes over full.

Well,, I have been here for one year now far from an expert,, but with good credentials on giving reliable information..... where in Quito, inner city or suburbs?  What do you think would be reasonable for you,, everyone has a number,, Do you require an apartment that is furnished? We pay $300.00 for a two bedroom, two bath bungalow in Mitad del Mundo, previously we paid 1500.00 for a 5 bedroom mansion, as we needed this for TV interviews we had previously contracted for.  I make clothing for larger women now and seem to have a sorta captive audience in the expat community.   I have a project manager who is Ecuadorian and is willing and able to send you pictures of rentals,, but they are just what is available now, but can at least give you and idea of what is available in surrounding areas.  We are considered the gringo here and found it immeasurably easy to have a "local on our side:" to do the negotiation after we found something that we liked. Well,  I know you are busy,, planning, but if you need some questions answered or some pictures of properties and what they are priced at furnished or unfurnished, please don 't hesitate to contact me.  I was where you were one year ago, doesn 't make me an expert, but I have boots on the ground.  I agree with the cities that he listed for you to consider,, La Pampa is also one outside of Pomasqui.  PS.. you don't overpay if you don't say "Yes".  We found our house on line.... there are many online houses that are there by the owners,, not all are real estate and they truly want good people to rent them. I can give you the websites if you want.  The transportation is 40 cents to the inner city from our house.  The water is great.  So,, if you would like some information.. ask away,, Mike (Middle of the World Blogs) wonderful too. T

Sincerely,
Denise Toepel (Not in Denver anymore!)

Muchos Gracias
  We are in our last winter in San Jose. A furnished two  bedroom . In a low rise apartment building . Balcony or patio . not surrounded by a thirty foot wall obliterating everything. Water is important as we have had water problems in Costa Rica.Not inundated with cats and dogs. We  are currently in a situation where the landlord has ten cats and two dogs who have free run. Being on the outskirts is fine with us as we like to walk.
Speak  some Spanish
  [email protected]

I am seeing a lot of rent signs in between Eloy Alfaro and Portugal on Seis di Diciembre lately.  To whom it may concern. 

Also, if you are in a RUSH or you are not here with boots on the ground, you may want to look up AirBnB.com.  They have a lot of furnished places listed in all kinds of price ranges, designed for short term lease until you can find something more permanent.  Just do a simple search for Quito once you log in there.  Most of the owners of these apartments speak English.  YES you pay a bit higher prices but you will get the service and quality you would expect to go with those prices. 

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworld.com

I can help you, please write to Marthy [email protected], I live in Cumbaya a very nice area about 15 minutes from Quito.