Sponsorship Visa

Hello,

at the moment I am on a Working Holiday Visa in Sydney. But I want to try to get a Sponsorship Visa with an employer. I studied computer science and I am already working on different projects here. But just on a casual basis. Sometimes when I apply for a more permanent role at different companies I get a positive response. But their first question is always which kind of visa I hold. And if I tell them it's a Working Holiday I hear different excuses why it is not going to work.

Is somebody here in a similar position? Can somebody give me advice what the best strategy might be?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

Did you ever get an answer to these questions? Did your situation change in the mean time?

I'm an IT Pro myself looking to come to Australia, first on a Workers Holiday permit. So it'd be interesting if you could share some experiences you've had if you'd be willing...

Best of luck to you!

Greetz, Merlin

In my experience employers are reluctant to hire people on working holiday visas into permanent roles.  Contract roles with an end date usually are OK so long as they are within your visa.

Unless your skills are in high demand, most employers won't sponsor you because they have to provide evidence of why they chose you over a local applicant and that can be difficult.

Experienced recruiters can be good at strategies for this, because they've dealt with similar situations before and know how far a particular company/industry will go. Find a good recruiter and might get lucky. :)

Cheers,
Ian

Hello,

I haven't looked in here for a long time since I didn't get an answer for a few weeks. But now somebody actually answered. Thanks for that!

The way employer react didn't change since my last post. But the bond between me and especially one company I do contractor work for grew strong within those past weeks. I might have a shot there, just because I proved to be loyal and good. If it works out in the end, I don't know. Like the last post said, they have to prove that I can do stuff in IT that others can't. I'm good, but maybe not that good.

I also went after a particular recruiter. I already replaced an in-house-employer of them. But again, sadly just on a contractor basis so far. But I might have a shot there as well.

To sum it up, what worked best for me so far is doing as much contract work as I can get, finish it fast and good and through that make myself important and known in some companies. If it's enough in the end, we'll see.