Moving to Norway!

if you live near the train station in Drammen, there is frequent train traffic to Sandvika since every train going to Oslo will pass through there (and generally stop). I'm guessing there is also some bus connections but I haven't looked into that. You can check out commuting info with this website:
https://ruter.no/

(they also have a very handy app that's worth downloading)

I've been living in Drammen for six months and I really like it. The neighborhood where I live has 2 barnehage within walking distance, and I can get to the train station in 15 min by foot or 5 by bike on a nice flat path.

If you look at a map of Drammen it should be easy enough to see where the train station is and what would be a feasible commute. My one advice is that you might want to avoid living too far up the hill on the side of the river where the train station is. At this time of year, the houses on the hill get almost no direct sunlight due to the angle and height of the fjord ridge. I'm living down in the valley on the south riverbank and we lose direct sun rays at around 13:30-14:00.

I have a friend who lives further out in Mjondalen and she works in Sandvika. Her commute is not as convenient as it is from Drammen though- many more trains stop here than in Mjondalen.

Another plus to Drammen is that it's the end of the line for the express train that goes directly to the airport.

I actually wasn't the one who did the hunting but I believe those are the most common.

if you're on facebook, occasionally someone posts a place on this group (more for selling/giving away used furniture & clothes though)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gjenbruk.drammen/

Hi,

I am also a mum living in Oslo. Have two children.
Have you heard about the group imobago on facebook?
The International Mother and Baby Group Oslo.

I would really recommend it for you. We are people from all over the world and more than 1000 members. I personally now some who live in Asker-Bærum area.

And there is also a book written by the founder of the group called "Oslo for Mothers". Worth checking it, it has a LOT of useful child related information. I have also copy of it and it has helped me a lot. I think she has a webpage called imobago where it is available.

Good luck and hope to see you in the group!

ECS says it all :) If the price is an issue then you might consider renting in Mjøndalen, Hokksund or Sande since there are trains to Oslo and Sandvika. I would say more than 15 minutes walking to the bus or train is no good alternative. In Drammen, you will be able to get a three bedroom for Nok 15,000,- pretty close to train station. I live up in the hill myself but I have a car. I guess it might be a better choice to live next to the train station in a town nearby for easy access to Drammen and Oslo.

[Moderated: pls post in the housing section]

ECS, Great explanation!
Emma1010, you should use this information wisely!!