Let's try again - Hello from Joe

Well twice now I've tried to say hello and each time my post is deleted...

HELLO

I'm a Brit Citizen resident in Indonesia and a full time Author...now what's wrong with that?

Hi Joe,

Welcome on board to this site.
There is nothing wrong with your post to say Hello but as I remember you post (and maybe a copy/paste action) several times to promote your book.
And that is not allowed.

Hello, Joe.  Whad'ya know?  As Primadonna said, promoting books is not allowed.  For example, I would never mention that my books are still available and that people can buy their copies now.  Christmas is coming up.

Preemptive Note: the previous post was funnier before it was deleted.

Joe Writeson wrote:

Well twice now I've tried to say hello and each time my post is deleted...

HELLO

I'm a Brit Citizen resident in Indonesia and a full time Author...now what's wrong with that?

It would have been the ad.
Other than that, enjoy the forum; it's really good.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Hello, Joe.  Whad'ya know?  As Primadonna said, promoting books is not allowed.  For example, I would never mention that my books are still available and that people can buy their copies now.  Christmas is coming up.

I understand completely Hailey in Hong Kong and that you would never mention that your books are still available and that people can buy their copies now...and YES Christmas is coming up....

Joe Writeson wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I understand completely Hailey in Hong Kong and that you would never mention that your books are still available and that people can buy their copies now...and YES Christmas is coming up....

I think she's suggesting a dash of subtlety should be added to your posts regarding the book.
However, being an American, subtle is a hammer on an egg to her.

To be honest, in cases such as yours where a one man band is just trying to get something off the ground, I don't mind and I can't really see anyone else really caring ..... as long as you don't spam the hell out of the forum.

Here's the trick.
Make a lot of really useful posts, as I've seen you start to do, and you'll get away with mild naughtiness such as slight spamming of your work.

No, nothing wrong with being a Brit writer sitting in DKI Jakarta. You surely have found quite a lot of things to write about out there.

What the hell are you doing in Batam?
It's about the last place I'd voluntarily go, although I lived there for 1.5 years and still have friends there.

Edit: I even owned a house there for a while!

mas fred wrote:

I think she's suggesting a dash of subtlety should be added to your posts regarding the book.

Is that why you misunderstood what I said?  Too subtle?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I would never mention that my books are still available and that people can buy their copies now.  Christmas is coming up.

Hi Hailey, :)

Your post is dated Nov. 26, 2013.

Are your books still available now one week later?
Are there at least 2-3 copies left?

THE BIG QUESTION

Can you please point us in YOUR PROFILE from where to buy them? :P;):cool:

Thank you in advance.

Primadonna wrote:

Hi Joe,

Welcome on board to this site.
There is nothing wrong with your post to say Hello but as I remember you post (and maybe a copy/paste action) several times to promote your book.
And that is not allowed.

Dear Mrs. Primadonna,

It's high time posting rules at this forum be amended.
It is OK for ordinary copy & paste posters to be banned, but not book authors, AND BY NO MEANS Brits who live in Indonesia.

What if the book you banned becomes a bestseller in 2014 and beyond, and the public will find out how cruelly Expat-Blog.com treated real talent?

Can you afford monetarily to suffer such damage and become criticized all over the Internet for gross lack of vision?

Imagine what you missed because Mrs. Rowlings did not post her Harry Potter novels here first.

Please NEVER ban books in English from your web site again.
Better than depriving yourselves of much needed publicity as if you afford it, please consider a small fee of US$0.50 for every book sold at this web site.  PayPal will do the trick for you easily.

My suggestion/consultation to you is free of charge today but next time, you will leave me with no choice other than charge for now and then. :|

@ John C: we have a section called Classifieds which is the perfect place to add an advert for free and if this is not enough, you can register your business here as well.

Maybe it is time for you to read the terms and conditions and the faq again or in case you didn't till know.

Primadonna wrote:

@ John C: we have a section called Classifieds which is the perfect place to add an advert for free and if this is not enough, you can register your business here as well.

Maybe it is time for you to read the terms and conditions and the faq again or in case you didn't till know.

Hi there,

Now you sound soooo official ... :/

Remember: writers want the public to read their books, not to read what the public writes. :P

Readers of this forum want to know about living in foreign places and exchange views about the topic with others (that's why it's called Expat-Blog).
Writers advertising their books here do not add anything to that.
Of course we can understand that writers want the public to read their books, just as manufacturers want the public to use their goods. That's why this site has a classifieds section, separate from this forum which is not for that purpose.

Edited to add: The writer above, who advertised his book and started this discussion, did not come back or post anything else on this forum. He seems to be disinterested in the purpose of this forum.

mas fred wrote:
Joe Writeson wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

To be honest, in cases such as yours where a one man band is just trying to get something off the ground, I don't mind and I can't really see anyone else really caring ..... as long as you don't spam the hell out of the forum.

Here's the trick.
Make a lot of really useful posts, as I've seen you start to do, and you'll get away with mild naughtiness such as slight spamming of your work.

Hello Joe Writeson,

What my friend Mas Fred had difficulty explaining to you can be summarized in three words: easy does it.

I think it's a good idea to include your ads in the Classified section and also in the Business section like Mrs. Primaddona suggested.

For a generous fee, I can write up positive reviews of your book ... Lets' talk business! :cool:

With Christmas coming, I wish you to make the transition from book writer to fat checkbook writer. :)

beppi wrote:

Edited to add: The writer above, who advertised his book and started this discussion, did not come back or post anything else on this forum. He seems to be disinterested in the purpose of this forum.

Maybe we are not as good as he is.  This saddens me a lot because, as you see, I fought for his cause. :(

Believe I KNOW what is like to be a writer.

Just to clarify, classified ads can and will be rejected if they are deemed unworthy.

John C.

You do seem to write a lot about nothing at all. That is nothing regarding the subject matter. All your posts seems to be all about you. 

Please feel free to advertise your book in the classified section.

stumpy wrote:

John C.
You do seem to write a lot about nothing at all. That is nothing regarding the subject matter. All your posts seems to be all about you. 

Please feel free to advertise your book in the classified section.

Hi there, :)

1). All about me? This could be a writing style. :) I try to have some humor but it's not easy with the humor from 9-to-5ers.

2). I posted MORE RELEVANT info in my localized section of the forum than 95% of posters here.  Because of my input, SLU is now among the very few sections which have ALL THE TOPICS established by forum management answered.

I have been thanked by many posters for my posts.

In 2010, I met & helped 3 expats who came for jobs here, and have been thanked for amity.

In real life, we never meet because of our 180-degree divergent professions. There is no need to insist in meeting here.

Posting my type of books here would be a delusion.

3). There is no point in us arguing when the author of this thread seems to have left us.

Remember: if YOU do not like my posts, please do not read them. :)

Hi all,

This thread isn't going anywhere.
Once and for all free advertising is not allowed on the forum.

@ Joe Writeson : If you want to introduce yourself as an expat member wanting to read/ share experiences, please feel free to do so on the Indonesia forum.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

[Thread closed]

Closed

Find activities and meet other expats

OR