Relocation to Thailand on budget

I have chosen Thailand as a last resort location to move to if my current job application falls through in another country.

I've only visited Thailand once on holiday (Phuket) but remember how cheap it was (especially compared to Istanbul where I live now).

I'll be coming there with just over $1000, not much but I feel my chances of finding work will be much higher in Thailand than the 3 months I've been looking here.

My questions for the board.

1. How easy is it to find affordable accomodation?

2. what is a reasonable 'backpacker lifestyle' budget per month? (in other words, how long can I expect the $1000 to last on a tight budget).

3. What would be the most ideal location to start looking for work (ESL industry, marketing, photography)

4. What are some issues I should be taking into consideration?

5. What/where are the best schools for a Native English Teacher (2 certs) of 4+ years?

I plan to arrive next week depending on the outcome of another business opportunity.  My plan was to go to Phuket as I know the place and a few people there.

I was thinking to start with a hostel or couchsurfing/hospitality club to begin with until I found a flat and/or job opportunity.

Feedback on options and possible work ideas/opportunities are highly welcome. (Please refrain from the "you're crazy"...I've come to other countries with less than $100 before (but had a job lined up).

Thank you

Joshapalooza wrote:

I have chosen Thailand as a last resort location to move to if my current job application falls through in another country.

I've only visited Thailand once on holiday (Phuket) but remember how cheap it was (especially compared to Istanbul where I live now).

I'll be coming there with just over $1000, not much but I feel my chances of finding work will be much higher in Thailand than the 3 months I've been looking here.

My questions for the board.

1. How easy is it to find affordable accomodation?

2. what is a reasonable 'backpacker lifestyle' budget per month? (in other words, how long can I expect the $1000 to last on a tight budget).

3. What would be the most ideal location to start looking for work (ESL industry, marketing, photography)

4. What are some issues I should be taking into consideration?

5. What/where are the best schools for a Native English Teacher (2 certs) of 4+ years?

I plan to arrive next week depending on the outcome of another business opportunity.  My plan was to go to Phuket as I know the place and a few people there.

I was thinking to start with a hostel or couchsurfing/hospitality club to begin with until I found a flat and/or job opportunity.

Feedback on options and possible work ideas/opportunities are highly welcome. (Please refrain from the "you're crazy"...I've come to other countries with less than $100 before (but had a job lined up).

Thank you

I won't say you are crazy, I was young too once upon a time, a dreamer maybe?

I hope you get the job in Ghana(I read your posts on that forum) because I fancy you might not get past the airport here unless you have a return ticket-assuming you will be arriving without a visa. A Visa Exempt entry will get you 30 days in Thailand.

$1000 will buy you about 30,000 Baht which I guess could last you a couple of months depending on your tastes. Phuket is expensive though.

Things to consider if you want to be legal and work in Thailand: Visa, work permit, your teaching qualifications. Health Insurance if you get sick.

Like I said I hope you get the job in Ghana. Good luck.

I have considered that.
From everything I have researched, the only way to get a decent position in Thailand is to go to their door with your credentials.

I was expecting to have to do a visa run or two. I will also be looking for jobs in the surrounding countries but will put most of my focus in Thailand.

Thanks for the response.

Joshapalooza wrote:

I have considered that.
From everything I have researched, the only way to get a decent position in Thailand is to go to their door with your credentials.

I was expecting to have to do a visa run or two. I will also be looking for jobs in the surrounding countries but will put most of my focus in Thailand.

Thanks for the response.

Recruitment for mainstream schools tends to take place after the school year ends in March, we have just had the Autumn break so you might be limited for choice e.g. private language schools. But you never know, worth a try.

Visa runs-yes its possible but be aware that its time consuming, an expense and they will only issue so many back to back entries if they suspect you are working. Fortunately land border crossing have just been increased to 30 days for G7 member states.

Now THAT is some very helpful information to know! Perhaps I should send my heavy luggage home and just arrive with a backpack incase I end up hitch-hiking.

Is there any type of husking culture in Asia at all? (I'm guessing no).

I had read that the schools are starting the semester this month.

Either way, my money will last MUCH longer in SE Asia than it is here in Istanbul. (Been homeless/with friends and jobsearching since August...it's why I'm headed out) 

Life is quite the adventure. ;)

I believe its easier to get your visa before you go mate.  I know of a great backpackers in Phuket its 300 baht a night I think??? Its called balcony hostel.  You can eat pretty cheap so that $1000 might last u a fair while.  In terms of teaching you might find a family looking for help with homeschooling if the local schools aren't hiring.  But you will have to get the right visa of course and make sure everything is legal.  I know we will be looking for someone to help homeschool our kids but we wont be going this year, early next.  Goodluck

Joshapalooza wrote:

Now THAT is some very helpful information to know! Perhaps I should send my heavy luggage home and just arrive with a backpack incase I end up hitch-hiking.

Is there any type of husking culture in Asia at all? (I'm guessing no).

I had read that the schools are starting the semester this month.

Either way, my money will last MUCH longer in SE Asia than it is here in Istanbul. (Been homeless/with friends and jobsearching since August...it's why I'm headed out) 

Life is quite the adventure. ;)

Not sure what you mean by "husking culture".  Lost in translation ;-)

The schools here have just re-started the final term of the year which ends in March.

Forgot to give you a link to an excellent teaching resource called Ajarn. Has everything from jobs to in depth interviews about cost of living. Worth a read.

Good luck with the adventure.

30,000 Baht or $1000 USD could go a long way or not. Depends on your lifestyle. I think Phuket is not that cheap (we lived there for 3 months and in Thailand for a total of 2 years) plus there is no public transportation so you'd most likely have to rent a motorbike.

Teaching salaries at private and bilingual schools in Phuket are less than in Bangkok. You can almost always find a tutoring or language school job in Bangkok. These of course are usually evenings and weekends.

Housing in Phuket is cheaper than Bangkok. We paid 10,000 Baht for a two bed, two bath house in Phuket and in Bangkok our condos have been 12,000-13,000 baht for just a one bed.

There are a few good Phuket groups on fb that might help you get accommodation, motorbike, job, etc.

Phuket New Era Expats
Phuket Teachers and Friends
Items for Sale - Phuket