Abaya

Hi everyone. .
I'm mardiah from Malaysia.. I'm interested with abaya..could anyone describe details about abaya.thank you

mardiah wrote:

Hi everyone. .
I'm mardiah from Malaysia.. I'm interested with abaya..could anyone describe details about abaya.thank you

Google Abaya images.  You'll see a ton of them.

mardiah wrote:

Hi everyone. .

Greetings, Mardiah,

Abaya is the traditional veil that females wear in Saudi Arabia. It is traditionally black. If you typed the following words in search-engines, you can find some useful information of the following terms

Niqab- 'نقاب'
Hijab- 'حجاب'
Abaya- 'عبائة-عباية'
Saudi Veil-'الغطاء السعودي'
Burka and Chudra are some other terms used.

If you want to find more information about it, feel free to look it up here

http://islam.about.com/od/glossary/g/abaya.htm
look up suggested and related articles, if you were interested.

Now if you were talking about Abaya under the Saudi Law, it is unclear (on purpose?) whether or not they are mondatory to wear, and I know this has shocked me when I knew about it. It is, however, enforced by the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, or the CPVPV, in addition to some locals. It is believed that the very existence of this committe is unconstitutional but enforced, although with deep conterversy even by law enforcers.

If anyone wants to find out and read further in the legislations and changes, I advice them to look up Saudi Arabia pre-1979.

Awakening Islam: The Politics of Religious Dissent in Contemporary Saudi Arabia- by Stéphane Lacroix

Mardiah, please feel free to PM any questions in mind you have about Saudi Arabia.

Regards,

It is believed that the very existence of this committe is unconstitutional but enforced, although with deep conterversy even by law enforcers.

Unconstitutional?  According to which constitution?  Saudi Arabis does not have a written constitution, as far as I know.  Anyway, that's irrelevant, because:

The CPVPV is a legitimate organization, and the head of the organization is directly appointed by and answerable to the King.