Looking for an Honest opinion about renting at Playa Encuentro Cabaret

Hi All.  I have been looking for long term rentals for next year 2014.  The playa Encuentro residential area has come up a few times, but I'm getting mixed reviews about the safety of that area. I have been to the beach, and the houses and apartments in the area look decent, but I have been hearing that crime in that area is very common and that it is not that safe. 

I have also looked at the Pro Cab neighborhood which seem a bit more safe since they have a gateman who controls entrance to the neighborhood unlike playa Encuentro which is open to all.  If you do not wish to make your opinions or response public, please PM with an honest opinion, since I'm trying to asess safety conditions in both these neighborhoods. 

Thanks in advance for all honest and candid opinions.  I also read about the recent surf school case of arson in playa Encuentro, which is another reason I'm concerned.  The apartments I'm looking at is at Palm Islands Apartment Rentals in Playa Encuentro. If anyone has feedback, please share.

Great set of questions!!!  I can't help you, but I know others will jump in!

Not the safest area you can rent in unless in the small gated community in the complex.

Bob K

Thanks Bob, you are the second person which said gated community is the way to go, thanks.

You are welcome. If you are outside a gated community you should hire a watchyman (security guard) in most communities.

BObK

Gated communities are designed to be better but a lot depends upon how they are managed.  If I were to stay long term in Cabarete, I would be in ProCab.  Not necessarily because of the road guard (any white guy in a fancy car can get in) but because of the density so you can have helpful neighbors.  Watching each others stuff is a great addition to a watchyman type (I also encourage adopting a beach dog for protection).

All in all, if you are aware of your surroundings you should be fine in ProCab.

Welcome to the forums Castellamonte - great points.  I adopted my first dog about 1 1/2 years ago and my second came as a gift  one month ago.  They are both great companions and good "watchidogs"  Many people are afraid of my dogs! 

And the concept of looking out for each other is a great one as well!!!!

The best thing about dogs is that they have exceptional hearing and smell.  They can alert you to a potential problem well before it becomes a real problem.  Whether they are true "guard dogs" or not matters not, typically they will bark to alert you. And whomever they hear/smell, hopefully being smarter than a rock, will abandon any ideas about approaching your property as there are many others who do not have dogs protecting them.

The point here is that virtually any dog will do just fine once they know that your house is their house.  They like to protect their turf and their "pack".

Dogs are great. We have two a barker (15 pound Havanesse) and a biter (140 pound rottie).  Even repair people who come to the house are very afraid of the Rottie...This is a good thing.

BObK

Ahhh heck they are afraid of my  6 pound peluche!!!! LOL

(afraid of a 2 pound chihuahua)

LOL  yes they are!

We lived in ProCab for couple years, our son lives there in a place called Bali Hi - a really nice place to be. If we moved back to Cabarete area, that would be my choice to stay. PM me if you want the contact details.

Bali-Hi is one of the nicer areas in Pro Cab and one we did recommend to clients.

Bob K

Hi Demi, thanks for the feedback.  I have stayed at Bali Hai in early 2011, nice place indeed, but in my case I'm not a retiree with a pension.  I will probably be working locally as a trainer and massage therapist, so I do not know just yet what my earnings will be, that is why I have had to set my budget at a much lower level than when I travel on vacation with N.Y. Cash.  I will definitely take a 6month trial run to see if Cabarete or the D.R. As a whole is the place for me, but still need to be conscious of my spending while living there during those months, i don't want to spend such a large chunk of my income on rent.  I met German the owner of Bali Hai, nice fellow, perhaps if my earnings allow me to stay there in the near future, that would definitely be an option :-) Thanks for sharing.

If you haven't found a job yet, talk to Michelle from Andari Spa (in Millenium), she is always looking for good people :)

Thanks for that tip Demi. Much appreciated :-)

Hello Bob, I was just reading about this renting forum and think you and the others can recommend me an area to rent in the North coast between Puerto Plata and Cabarete. I liked a one bedroom apartment, nothing fancy,  but near good facilities. What are the average monthly rents?

Rent can be anywhere from $350 or so to $900 depending on where you are.
What is your budget. Knowing that may help with some answers. Most times it is best to pound the streets and look for yourself as many places do not advertise.

Bob K

You are right about pounding the streets. I will be next week visiting some friends in Cabrera, probably for two weeks and will do that. Thanks again.