Protocols while living in Dubai

Hi there, My husband has been offered a job with a major company and I have 2 children. I know females don't have to wear the Habbaya. So any tips are appreciated muchly...
(1)What are the basic protocols in Dubai, in respect for their religion and their cultural traditions.

I have been searching through the blogs but have mixed feelings about living there. I guess home is where you make it.......

Thanks

Hi,
Where are you from?
We moved here 3 months ago. Everything you have in the west you have here, even alcohol - though it is expensive. There are plenty of places to drink it too. Saying that, a do know locals who do drink and smoke, saying they are in control of the alcohol and tobacco.
Abayas are mostly only worn by the locals, at the public beach you can safely wear your bikini if you want and the beach patrol move on any guys that shouldn't be there - normally any guy not in beach attire gets kicked off, if the refuse the police come by. The local Muslim festivals are always celebrated, so time off work and most shops close during fasting hours and re open in the evening. They also celebrate Christmas - it was a surprise to find everything, wrapping paper, tinsel, trees etc, even crackers in the Carrefour stores. Spinneys has Easter eggs in at the minute too! It made me laugh seeing a lot of locals buying Christmas Trees, not just 1, but 2 or 3. Fairy lights where big too.

The big problems here are housing and schools. Our company pays our housing costs, but the school fees for our 2 children ages 10 and 12, come to over £10,000 a year, that is in the British School, the American schools are easily £3,000 more each. We live in Mirdif, which is a really nice suburb and also the house rental prices are much cheaper. Ours in 150,000 Dhms for a 3 bedroom villa with maids room, but the prices start from 90,000.
Any other questions just ask!

Jackie

Goldcoastie, just to add to the good stuff that Jackie put - Dubai has 80% expat population and that has all-but swamped the local culture. It's a true international city - we have 180 nationalities living side-by-side, all mixed in together with virtually no friction. Having said that, it is a Muslim country and out of respect to the Emiratis and their culture, just behave well and don't dress provocatively. It's that simple.

Thank you guys so much for your help it has been invaluable. We held a meeting of what the employers were telling my husband and what you guys have added - and going into that meeting with all the info that I needed to make an informed choice has been more than helpful. We reside in Australia and don't smoke or drink and i dare not wear anything above my knees or shirts past my shoulders. Would be a great place to raise girls and not be so 'skanky' like some teenaged girls i see here on the gold coast of australia... a good move i think..lol.. thank you!!

Dubai is getting 'skankier' all the time (tube tops and c-level minis in the Mall of the Emirates?!) but it's still a pretty safe place to live. Sure there is tension around culture clashes between expat groups and the locals, but if you dress repsectfully and never criticize ANYTHING about this place to the locals, you'll be fine.

All the negativity you read on the blogosphere is mainly people ranting out their frustrations in the safest way they know -- anonymously (though I do know a guy who was fired from his government job for posting a Mohd the Teddy Bear joke on his personal Facebook, but that's another story...)  It CAN be a very frustrating place to live, but I've been here 10 years and plan to stay. If nothing else, you just can't beat the perpetual sunshine.  Take the bloggers with a grain of salt.

I have posted else where but think the more I post maybe someone will know someone.My husband is a pilot in the usa and I am trying to get him to fly for emerites. I think this would be a fun family adventure, but would like to talk to some other airline families. Does anyone know someone? I would love to here from you
Thanks