Visiting CR in Dec - Would love to meet expats who already live there

I'm new here and I love all the information I've found so far. Everyone seems so nice. I'm traveling there for vacation the 1st of Dec. 2013.  I want to retire there in March 2015. I lived in Singapore 38 years ago so I'm good with different cultures. I'd like to know more about the different areas. I'd like to be close enough to a city but also would love to have the beach out my back door and the jungle on the other side. (laugh) Oh yes, I also lived in Borneo when I was 14 with my parents.

Would love to be able to get my friend to go with me to share the experience & excitement but her health won't allow it. If anyone is interested in going with me... let me know.

I'd love to meet some expats who already live there when I arrive. That would be fantastic and exciting.

If I rent a car to drive around the different areas, does anyone know the best place to rent a car & also a good suggestion of a hotel to stay in that's not too expensive. Money is tight.

Really appreciate any help or information!  Thank you all....

Louise

Hi Louise

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

December is the 'high season here' and if funds are tight, check the cost of renting a car for use during your trip, as the quote may not include mandatory insurance. Hotels that you like, may not be such a deal, either.

The cost of living here is not as expensive as some place, but it is not cheap!

Here is a link costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/residency-general-information-and-summary.html you offers some more information.

Hope you have a great time.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!  I'm really excited about visiting and look forward to meeting people from all over the world.

louiseparks

A cuacoffee suggests, if possible rent a car drive around. It will not take long before you stumble upon an expat enclave. There plenty of those around. Just to give you an idea: Playas del Coco, Tamarindo, Nosara, Samara, Santa Teresa, Montezuma, Jaco, Quepos, Dominical, Uvita, Golfito, Atenas, Puerto Viejo, Cocles.

Good luck,

Rafael Valverde

Thank you for the information. I'm thinking of postponing my visit until late spring. And renting a car sounds like a great idea so that I can see more of the country.