GLBT Perception in Brazil

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/5290_-_GLBT_event_-_L'amore_spiazza,_Pavia_16_May_2010_-_Foto_Giovanni_Dall'Orto.jpg
GLBT Perception in Brazil

Ok, I'm going to broach a very delicate, but necessary, subject which in my opinion as Brazil Animator simply cannot be ignored because it is so important to so many people. Before I do so, I want to make it perfectly clear that I will not tolerate any postings that are in any way abusive or disrespect any member of Expat-blog. Comments are welcome as long as they meet that requirement and I will not hesitate to take immediate action should anyone fail to comply. I also want to tell you about myself so you know exactly where I'm coming from.

I'm a Canadian who has been living in Brazil for almost 12 years now, born and raised in southern Ontario (very conservative) and also lived for 28 years in Vancouver, BC (much more liberal). I know exactly what prejudice is and have at times experienced it myself, since I'm a 64-year old white male married to a 28-year old Afro-Brazilian woman and we have a 6 year old Afro-Brazilian son. I am a teacher with a career spanning more than 25 years and I think it is safe to say that nobody, especially a teacher, reaches my age without knowing several members of the GLBT community. As a teacher I've counseled many, I have over the years had a number of them as friends and neighbors. I have no prejudices regarding nationality, race, religion, gender, lifestyle and I feel certain that any number of our members who have turned to me for help, information and advice will confirm that here very soon. Having said that.... here goes.

I'm often asked by members exactly what is the GLBT perception here in Brazil, what kind of difficulties or prejudices can they expect when they come to this country, is it safe, can they display affection publicly, are they and their relationships accepted? I have always tried my very best to answer all their questions as factually and honestly as I possibly can.

What is the GLBT perception in Brazil?

Well first of all let me tell you that Brazil has the largest GLBT population in the Americas, so you're certainly not going to be a novelty to anybody. Now you can breathe a little easier. Every city in Brazil has a GLBT community and Gay Parade which is usually always well attended and counts on participation from members of the municipal government.

Is it safe for a member of the GLBT community to live in Brazil?

Yes, just as safe as or even more so than in many other parts of the world. Brazilian law prohibits discrimination or any act of aggression against any identifiable minority group. The police and judicial system take this very seriously and acts of aggression are severely punished.

What are my legal rights in Brazil as a member of the GLBT community?

They are EXACTLY the same as any other person (citizen or foreigner) in Brazil. Same-sex civil marriages or stable unions are now recognized in Brazil. Most, if not all, of the benefits that would apply to the parties of a heterosexual marriage or union apply to the partners in a same-sex marriage or union.

Does prejudice and homophobia exist in Brazil and is it a problem?

Homophobia exists everywhere in the world, unfortunately. You might be surprised to know that you will probably experience much less of that here in Brazil than in many other countries. However, despite the very large GLBT population it does still exist for several reasons. Firstly the religious make-up of the country, mostly Roman Catholic and Evangelist Protestant churches who tend to follow rather rigid beliefs of their faiths. While I am myself a very religious person I have always had a much more open mind and don't believe the Bible to be an absolute document, just as members of the Jewish faith believe that the Talmud is not absolute, that the Talmud needs man as much as man needs the Talmud (i.e. that it should be subject to interpretation and viewed objectively). Secondly, and I'm sure you will find this to be the case in any Latin-American country there is a big problem here with machismo. Machismo manifests itself in many ways predominantly in homophobia and in the devalorization of women. This is why so many crimes are committed against women in this country. So while you will be accepted here please don't expect that you will never experience any negatives, you certainly will, but they won't likely be extreme. My own personal experience is that, surprisingly, much of the homophobic (and even anti-negro) slurs and epithets I've heard used come from within that minority group itself - something that I find extremely odd, but have seen time-and-time-again.

What about public displays of affection?

As a heterosexual I wouldn't give a breathless kiss to my wife in public. I wouldn't have a problem with a slight peck out on the street if we were going to go in separate directions, but that's it. Holding hands – no problem. I really think that's about the same standard that same-sex couples should follow here too. I wouldn't recommend blatantly open displays, but that's entirely up to the individuals to determine what they feel comfortable with. It may raise some eyebrows, but I don't think anything extreme would come of it. Recently a restaurant in São Paulo asked a gay couple to leave because of a little peck in public; they quickly found themselves in the cross-hairs of the Ministério Público for discrimination. This whole issue reminds me of a very wise warning my father gave me when he was teaching me to ride a bicycle, “Don't ever go any faster than you're willing to hit the ground should you fall off”.

Am I, my partner and our relationship going to be accepted?

In the vast majority of situations and by the vast majority of people – Yes, Yes and Yes! Obviously there will always be some who won't accept any of this, but we all know that's THEIR problem and not YOURS.

Now, I'm going to make a personal observation from 25 years of counselling and advising. I don't want to offend anybody, seem patronizing, criticizing in any way – I'm only making an observation and intend it to help....

Almost without exception, most of the members of the GLBT community that I've helped or advised over the years seem much more prone to being ‘worry warts'. I don't know why it is, but they seem to have a tendency to catastrophize much more that heterosexuals. They focus on the smallest little details, blow them all out of proportion and seem paralyzed by them. If this describes you then you're going to have a hard time deciding to come to Brazil and probably even harder time in adapting. Brazil didn't invent BUREAUCRACY, but they certainly are responsible for having turned it into a SCIENCE. Nothing is easy here so don't expect it to be. Something as simple as applying for a VITUR Tourist Visa seems like a daunting, nightmarish task for some members of the GLBT community – it really isn't. Getting married in Brazil is a bureaucratic nightmare for ANY foreigner, don't expect it to be any more or any less bureaucratic for a same-sex marriage. That said, you can and will get through it just fine – trust me.

No matter what you're doing – just take a big deep breath, count to ten and do your very utmost to relax. Just remember there is nothing that you can possibly do in Brazil (even as a member of the GLBT community) that hasn't been done before. We've all been in that very same boat at least once before, so just relax and go with the flow. Be just like Alfred E. Newman from MAD Magazine. “What, me worry?”

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

OMG, William.

I ROARED over "...I don't know why it is but they [members of the GLBT community] have a tendency to catastrophize much more than heterosexuals. They focus on the smallest little details, blow them out of proportion and seem paralyzed by them."

And though I know you didn't intend it to be funny, I HAD to laugh because I know it DOES describe me, but, in my case, anyway, I know it tends more to be (or ALSO to be anyway) because I'm a Taurus and tend to be a detail-oriented person and want all my Is dotted and Ts crossed and never feel relaxed until they finally are. This has always been both a blessing as well as a detriment in my life, but is also why I tend to think thinks through a thousand times beofre deciding ANYTHING. However, being that the love of my life lives in Brazil, the decision is alreadyu MADE, it's just a matter of getting through the process and journey of GETTING THERE. You have to admit there IS a LOT to learn and DO, and, quite frankly, since I've been in this Blog, all I've learned is how much I didn't know and HAVE to know, but even in THAT alone it has been a TREMENDOUS help and was the first step necessary to take. All I ask is your and everyone else's patience is asking and re-asking things especially once my move becomes more of a reality than somethig that's still just in the pre-planning stages, as you know better tahn me that Brazilian (as well as U.S.) laws are liable to change about anything. And the fact that I was born in Cuba (though something I am otherwise VERY proud of) has only helped in making MY process more difficult.

But again thank you for all your help thus far and I hope I can continue tyo count on you and Matt and any others in my move someday. And maybe you, me and Matt can get together for a beer somewhere with our loved ones and laugh about Brazilian beaurocracy...!

Dalia

Dalia, that's what friends are for... of course you can alway count on me to be here for help, information and advice. I'm sure I can speak for Matt in this regard too. God Bless!!

Beer is good.... getting together for a cold one sounds fine to me. Hope one day it will be possible.

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the words, James.  GLBTs - I welcome you to Brazil!

Cheers, Douglas

And thankyou Douglas for being a good Ambassador for Brazil's Expat Community.

Cheers,
James

I will stick to rum and coke. You two can consume the beer.

This forum has truly been invaluable and I appreciate all the new friends I have made via it!

As for GLBT in Brazil. Truthfully, and even the locals will say this - Manaus is by far the gayest city I have ever seen or visited - and I have been across the globe. The statistic is what, 1 in 10 are gay right? Well I think Manaus takes it to the next extreme maybe 1 in 5? PDAs, holding hands, openly advertising ones self as identifying GLBT is the norm here. I have yet to be discriminated against, and I have heard no discrimination. That said, I am far more reserved than average gay from Manaus. I am not from here so I stick out enough already.

My spouses home town, Novo Airão, deep in the jungle could possibly be the most openly gay "village" in the world. If some of the right-wing extremist churches visited the city, they could probably easily support their insane belief that homosexuality is contagious. The road he grew up on 14 out of the 21 children that grew up with him on same road are openly gay. It is like that all over the village.

But I will leave with this - where Brazil is good in one area (equality and protection of minorities) they fail in another. And yes, this statement contradicts the reason why I moved here. :D

PS - I can not speak to the other parts of Brazil, but I am sure it is far different than here.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

Hi Matt,

I'd really like to thank both you and Dalia for your comments. I am absolutely certain that they will serve to do away with any worries that people may have about how they're going to be perceived and accepted here in Brazil. Certainly your words carry much more weight than anything that I can possibly ever say in this regard. Again thanks to both of you.

Cheers,
James

William, my pleasure. I only speak the truth. But if you still feel indebted to me above and beyond that, that beer I spoke about is on YOU, then...ok, my friend...?

Matt, Rum and Coke (otherwise called a CUBA LIBRE) I regret never having acquired a taste for (DESPITE the attractive name for ME!) but, that's ok, I'll enjoy the ice cold cervelha with William and my partner who I know also adores them ICE COLD.

And I'm very happy that Manaus is proving so openly Gay for you, Matt. It's liberating, I know, to be anywhere where people don't and won't do a double-take. I THINK (though not 100% sure) that Fortaleza is pretty openly Gay. At least from hearing my partner talk, though I've never asked her directly. I guess I'll find out, but, quite frankly despite being such a worry-wart, THAT happens to be something I never even thought to ask her about. I guess because, openly Gay or NOT, that's where SHE is, so that's where I want to be!! And, regarding that anyway, that's enough for me.

Dalia

I want to reiterate this statement about the "openly gay," and non-discriminatory atmosphere -

usmc_mv wrote:

But I will leave with this - where Brazil is good in one area (equality and protection of minorities) they fail in another. And yes, this statement contradicts the reason why I moved here. :D

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com