Poker Run & BBQ .... anyone? ... anyone? ... Bueller?

I will be back in Vietnam in 2 weeks. Last year we had a BBQ. I am planning to bring another whole boneless Ribeye loin (same as last year) for another BBQ, but I thought it might be fun if we could get 20-30 people interested in a Poker Run ending at the BBQ.

For those unsure ... a Poker Run starts at a location (usually a bar) where each person puts $$ into the 'pot' and gets a playing card ... after a beer or 2 ... on to the next bar (ride together as a group) ... another card ... and so on ... until ... at the last bar (BBQ) the one with the highest 'poker' hand wins the pot. (I thought about making it a 50.000 VND buy in ... it's really just for fun)

Maybe the BBQ could be held at the last bar if we chose one that had a grill and could let us cook the steaks?

Anyway, open to ideas and comments ... thanks all.

John

Saigon Visitor wrote:

I will be back in Vietnam in 2 weeks. Last year we had a BBQ. I am planning to bring another whole boneless Ribeye loin (same as last year) for another BBQ, but I thought it might be fun if we could get 20-30 people interested in a Poker Run ending at the BBQ.

For those unsure ... a Poker Run starts at a location (usually a bar) where each person puts $$ into the 'pot' and gets a playing card ... after a beer or 2 ... on to the next bar (ride together as a group) ... another card ... and so on ... until ... at the last bar (BBQ) the one with the highest 'poker' hand wins the pot. (I thought about making it a 50.000 VND buy in ... it's really just for fun)

Maybe the BBQ could be held at the last bar if we chose one that had a grill and could let us cook the steaks?

Anyway, open to ideas and comments ... thanks all.

John

http://foamers.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/anyone-bueller.jpg

I'm not a drinker or a bar hopper but the thread title made me laugh.  :lol: I think the picture says it all.

50,000 VND per person and say you get max 30 people = 1,500,000 VND.  Is that just for the poker pot?

Or were you planning to use some of that buy-in funds to hire a mini-bus to ferry everybody from bar to bar?  They run about 3-4 million to contract a 29 seater.

THD!
He started this campaign months ago :D
This is a public invitation!

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

I'm not a drinker or a bar hopper but the thread title made me laugh.  :lol: I think the picture says it all.

Made me laugh too (and thanks for the pic). Big Ferris Bueller fan here (Save Ferris!).

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Or were you planning to use some of that buy-in funds to hire a mini-bus to ferry everybody from bar to bar?  They run about 3-4 million to contract a 29 seater.

Umm, I think they were just going to drink and drive like (almost) everyone else...

Count me in!

Ok all ... some clarification ;)

We used to do these Poker Runs here in the states on bikes ... still do but it's a bit tougher now with the zero tolerance drinking laws ... not saying you have to get drunk, but here in the states, 1 beer puts me over the legal limit. Anyway, the idea is to ride together as a group on scooters (slow ride, no rush) and you only have 1 or 2 beers at each place so as not too be completely snookered :P ... at the last place, well, all bets are off (although I myself am not a huge drinker).

As to the 'buy-in' ... it all goes to the winner ... I thought about half to a charity, but it's not really enough ... to be honest, I think if I won I would donate it to the GoVap orphanage, but that is up to whoever wins ... the pot is just to make it interesting.

I will supply the steaks (as I did last year) ... I plan to bring a 7-8 kg full boneless loin (I may bring 2 as some of my friends also keep asking for some) ... I am hoping Jerry will come as he did a GREAT job of prepping and grilling last year.

as a side note ... does anyone have an apt I can rent for the month? I need wired internet as I will plug in an IP phone for my work (I can answer my desk like I never even left so the boss doesn't miss me ... lol) ... hoping for about $500 - 650 for the month.

Ok, I will be there Oct 12 - Nov 9 ... I'm thinking Oct 19th for the BBQ (my birthday is the 21st) .. thoughts?

charmavietnam wrote:

THD!
He started this campaign months ago :D
This is a public invitation!

Yah, I must have missed the other thread.  :rolleyes:  This one had a "today" date/time stamp on the first post.

Nam_ wrote:

Umm, I think they were just going to drink and drive like (almost) everyone else...

Saigon Visitor wrote:

Ok all ... some clarification ;)

We used to do these Poker Runs here in the states on bikes ... still do but it's a bit tougher now with the zero tolerance drinking laws ... not saying you have to get drunk, but here in the states, 1 beer puts me over the legal limit. Anyway, the idea is to ride together as a group on scooters (slow ride, no rush) and you only have 1 or 2 beers at each place so as not too be completely snookered :P ... at the last place, well, all bets are off (although I myself am not a huge drinker)...

If it's "illegal" in the United States, why do you think it's okay to do it in Việt Nam?  Actually, a little over 1 can of beer DOES make it illegal in Việt Nam as well.

The legal threshold of blood alcohol content (BAC) in Vietnam is under 50mg/100ml or breath alcohol content (BrAC) of under 0.25mg/l for motorbikes, which equates to little over one can of beer or 30 milliliters of brandy. The threshold for car drivers is zero.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … arges.aspx

Well, I'll leave that up to each adult to make their own choices

The alcohol limits dont seem to bother the local drivers.

vincent ong wrote:

Count me in!

Thanks ... hopefully it's not just us two ... if it is, I hope you're hungry :)

Good to see you again John.... Thanks for the eye drops last time....:)

johnnywastaken wrote:

No problem ... let me know if you need any more brought over.

UPDATE: Date will be Saturday, October 19th ... working on time, place(s) and whether or not to do the Poker Run or just a BBQ ... open to ideas/comments

John

Saigon Visitor wrote:
johnnywastaken wrote:

No problem ... let me know if you need any more brought over.

No Problem John.... My GF brings them from Indonesia...now....Thanks.....  most of these Việt kiều promise.... but they never ever deliver like real Americans....

Please re-direct to https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=306389

New idea ;)