Buying a House with land in Bulgaria

Hi folks,
Could you clarify something for me please?
I intend buying a house with 1000sq. mtr in Bulgaria.
I have been told i cannot own the land until 2014. Is this true?
Thanks

It is definitely not correct. Any foreigner may own land and property in Bulgaria. A foreigner who is a citizen of an EU country may do so in their own name with the exception of agricultural and forestry land which exception disappears at the end of this year. Any other foreigner must buy the property through a Bulgarian company which, of course, they may own outright.

No it is not true. I moved here from Scotland and bought a house here in July. It used to be the case you couldn't own the land unless you had a business here but when Bulgaria became an EU member the law was changed. As I said I quit Scotland for here and am loving it. If I cam help with any advice PM me here 

Ron

Thanks for that. It was something my sister in law saw.
We had seen nothing about this,
(Might take you up on the offer of any questions).
Hoping to move from Scotland beginning of next year. coming over start of October to look at some property.
Cheers

Depending on the area you want to look at houses I can put you in touch with a couple of reliable estate agents if you let me know

Hi Ron,
Looking at Ruse, and Popovo areas
Thanks
Peter

Peter, my advice to you is Ruse, it's a beautiful city and beautiful area, you go have a drink at the cafe facing Romania and see them playing on the other side, take the bridge and go visit the country any time. a lot of landmark to visit in Ruse and it's area, the area is very clean, the villages are very clean. we've to a lot of places and I can tell you Ruse is the best.
you can find a private seller, that saves you the big commission the real estate take from us. just go to craigslist, gumtree or type house for sale by private seller, you can also find houses in here and a lot of forums for Brits.

Sihem

The plot size you are seeking is average or most Bulgarian villages. Location depends on lifestyle ambitions. If you want the bright lights then Sofia, Varna or Bourgas will suit you but you are more likely to find an apartment than a house with land. For an ex-pat lifestyle with lots of neighbours who speak the same language and the support network which goes with that the Veliko Turnovo, Yambol, Sandanski or Elhovo might suit. The south east and mountain areas have fewer foreigners and present a greater challenge.

Then there is climate to consider. there are several excellent websites which enable one to objectively compare climate; a better option than listening to the opinion of individuals who probably only know their own area of Bulgaria. Ruse may be a beautiful area but it also suffers from the winds which sweep snow down the Danube plain each winter. Climate is a big consideration and should not be taken lightly.

Service availability may be your determining factor. Are there supermarkets nearby - in some areas it may be necessary to drive eighty kilometres to the nearest Lidl. Is there an English speaking doctor, dentist or bank clerk? What's the quality of the internet service and what can I do if my TV, washing machine, computer, etc. goes wrong?

So long as your land is part of a house plot you can buy it now and come January you can buy anything without the need to form a company so why rush, this is a buyer's market and careful selection will make for a more comfortable life in the long term.