Building a house in Bulgaria

Hello everyone!

It has been a while since i posted on this forum. In the meanwhile we have visited Bulgaria a couple of times for preparation and planning.

Our first idea was buying a home and renovate it to fit our requirements. We have seen a lot of properties but at the end we decided none of the properties would fit our requirements.  Location, renovation plan, cost and so on…
We ended our search in a whole other price categorie of houses.
In the end i decided to change the idea of searching for a house and ended up with the idea to build our own house from scratch. 

A lot on this forum is about renovating, i didn’t found a topic about building. Maybe there are others with building plans so we can consolidate the information in a central topic.

To do, things we have already done:

- Search for a good location (imo important) you can find a lot of plots for a little money. Check the  location if you have long term plans (same for the house searchers). Facility’s, safety, infrastructure;

- Search for a plot (stil busy finding the right one). Important is that you buy a regulated plot, a lot of advertisements on the internet are telling you the plot is regulated, in reality its not. You don’t want to end with a piece of ground where you can grow tomatoes only;

- Materials, concreet, wood, bricks, rebar steel and so on. There are a lot of suppliers. You can also find a lot of DIY stores (Mr. Bricolage, Bauhaus, Praktiker..). These are for bulk materials more expensive then other suppliers. 
I have only some supplier list prices when i find a plot i will contact suppliers for negation;

- We had a couple of appointments with the architect to check the design and the possibilities. Also for checking al the cost for building a new house (certificates, documents, acts, constructor and so on). We also had couple of meetings with a notary for al the formal stuf. Be informed, when you build a house you must keep the Bulgarian Act in mind: Act 14, 15 and 16. Short: Act 14: construction requirements, Act 15: house is fully finished, Act 16: certificate for habitation;

- A place where we can stay when building is in progress, in our situation its easy cause we already own a apartment in the area;

- Making a budget.

My question is: Are there more expiators with building plans or expiators who have already build a home.

This could be a central topic for advice for people who have serious building plans or considering building a house in Bulgaria.

Are there things i missed in the checklist, or does someone have any advice?

We haven't really started the process yet (saving money to do so) but I will say to be wary of the prefab home builders in Bulgaria... I have read that a lot of them open up one year and close down the next, just opening a new company with a different name in order to do low quality, cheap work and basically scam people. But apparently there are a few that have been around for 10 years or so and are more trustworthy.

Also, I was told to not bother buying premade architectural plans- there will be so many changes that have to be made to fit the property that you are better off designing from scratch with an architect.

Yes , finding a good builder is another story. I have spoken with a lot local people with building experience, you should do a good research about the builder you choose. Let them show a good portfolio and a track record. Don't choose the very cheapest, you will get the very cheapest. And if you mentioned there is a lot of scam in the plot and building business, be ware(no matter where on this globe)! Good point!

Same for ready made architectural plans, they already tried to sell us complete plans with plots to keep the price up. But for me it was very simple, just saying a don't give a shit about a plan cause i will make my own. So i agree, best is if you do, to start from scratch and create wat you like and is conform the actual building requirements.

I haven't mentioned it in my previous post, i will bring my own builder, so that is not our problem ;) The architect for design, that will be me, i have done some housing design in the Netherlands. Ofcourse the design will be finalised by the local architect we already met a couple of times.

Maybe for other people the ' finding a good builder ' question is very interesting, so please share.

On the internet there is a lot of (local) information you can find about builders. In my favourites i have saved some of that information.

Just wondering how you are progressing with your plans to purchase a site and build.

I purchased a site back in 2006 and am thinking of building on it in the near future, so would love to know if you progressed with your plans?

Warm Regards