Marriage and VISA question

If you marry a Vietnamese national and have a marriage certificate here, as a foreigner, how long could you stayed in the country to be with your spouse? I currently have a 3 months VISA and I was told I could renew it once.

Update:
Sorry,  I just saw a similiar post on the forum. However,  that was posted 3 years ago. Has anything changed?  Can I still easily get a 5 years family VISA exemption?

Are you still a Foreigner...
can stay as long as your Foreign visa...pretty simple.

Captainelectric wrote:

So a foreigner married to a VN national here in VN does not entitle him to a special visa?

I think u can get a visa exemption or something like that. Ill double check my passport.
5 years multiple entry, each entry is for 90 days.

Solo1 wrote:
Captainelectric wrote:

So a foreigner married to a VN national here in VN does not entitle him to a special visa?

You are entitled to a 5 year visa Exemption. Each stay is valid for 90 days and you can renew it without leaving the country.

Also you are eligible to obtain a PRC (Permanent Resident Card):D

Parmyd wrote:
Solo1 wrote:
Captainelectric wrote:

You are entitled to a 5 year visa Exemption. Each stay is valid for 90 days and you can renew it without leaving the country.

Currently in Nha Trang. Could the ppwrk and renewal be done here or will I need to go to HCMC each time?

Parmyd wrote:
Solo1 wrote:
Captainelectric wrote:

So once married here then I can go and come as I please without applying for an entry Visa?

Solo1 wrote:

So once married here then I can go and come as I please without applying for an entry Visa?

Yeah, that's right!

charmavietnam wrote:
Solo1 wrote:

Yeah, that's right!

What am I waiting for, get me to the church!!!

Solo1 wrote:

oing to

Going to church is very easy :D, but...

Solo1 wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:
Solo1 wrote:

Yeah, that's right!

Vietnam hasn't recognized gay marriage yet. LOL

awayland wrote:
Solo1 wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Yeah, that's right!

Vietnam hasn't recognized gay marriage yet. LOL

OMG! That really hurt :dumbom:

Solo1 wrote:

OMG! That really hurt :dumbom:

“Independence Freedom Happiness”

charmavietnam wrote:

Also you are eligible to obtain a PRC (Permanent Resident Card):D

how easy is it to obtain a PRC? And is there a catch or something because everyone seems to recommend the 5-year multiple entry after 90 certificate exemption. The PRC makes more sense on paper since you don't have the inconvenience of checking in every 90 days like you're on probation.

khanh44 wrote:

how easy is it to obtain a PRC? And is there a catch or something because everyone seems to recommend the 5-year multiple entry after 90 certificate exemption. The PRC makes more sense on paper since you don't have the inconvenience of checking in every 90 days like you're on probation.

It's not easy to make any document here even if you are eligible of remit the concerned fee. "Kings" should please! Otherwise they will try to make many troubles. I think you know how to make them happy.:D

Here's a link from another VN blog site that has some information about the PRC rather long:

http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/aska/answers/qid/3145

thanks I like this response:

"The final answer to my original question therefore, seems to be:

1. If you have political connections and the money for a plugged in lawyer, permanent residency status is easy, and your lawyers problem.

2. For any normal mortal lacking such connection who is getting married, this visa exemption seems to be the way to go. It's cheaper than getting visa after visa, and requires less paperwork and standing in line than the visa route.

3. In the course of those 4 years, application for residency is possible. The longer you wait, the more probable permanent residency approval becomes. They want to see commitment."

But Howie's option is still the best. But from a tax perspective having a residency card can be beneficial.

I am going out on a limb here....  But it is still cheaper to spend 90 days in Vietnam, go to Laos for 30 days and then return.  No cost for marriage party, no marriage paperwork hassle, no inlaws and best of all the relationship can end without additional paperwork. Now if you are planning on having children I somewhat understand the marriage thing, but it is still easier just to register the birth with the embassy than the headache of marriage.  Maybe I am on a limb....

Exploiting loop holes in laws are easier than following them :D

ancientpathos wrote:

I am going out on a limb here....  But it is still cheaper to spend 90 days in Vietnam, go to Laos for 30 days and then return.  No cost for marriage party, no marriage paperwork hassle, no inlaws and best of all the relationship can end without additional paperwork. Now if you are planning on having children I somewhat understand the marriage thing, but it is still easier just to register the birth with the embassy than the headache of marriage.  Maybe I am on a limb....

Plus I enjoy traveling.  Southeast Asia is a wonderful experience.

did you just quote yourself? It's like talking to yourself lol.

Yes I've seen pictures of SouthEast Asia. It looks beautiful.

That's one of my goals when I settle into Vietnam is to experience all the countries of SouthEast Asia. Countries like Laos, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia and all the small ones I haven't heard of like Myanmar.