"Medical Vacation" - will this work?

I'm from the USA (hey - nobody's perfect!).  I can not afford the medical procedures I need here.  (Like, what else is new?)

I am thinking of coming to Peru - and trying to get what I need.

Is this advisable?  If so, what city should I choose?  I don't think Lima would be a good option - some smaller place?  Arequipa?  Piura?

Any help appreciated...

Hi,
I don't have any knowledge of medical treatment in Peru, however I can highly recommend Arequipa as a city. It's really beautiful and much easier to navigate and manage than Lima. It also has a great spring climate all year long with lots of sunshine, it's a really nice city to spend some time in.

There is a new hospital in Piura that we have been to several times that is cheap. However, whether it would be right for you depends on what kind of treatment you need. If it is something common like general surgeries, plastic surgery, CAT scans, etc, it is good. However, for very specialized treatments, you're better off trying to get help through a program in the US and do it there.

More expensive generally but not always means better-trained doctors, although we found many doctors with private practices also worked at the hospital for a fraction of their private charges (gastroenterologist, rheumatologist, GP were the doctors we used. Also, CAT scan was only $200 USD).

I believe the hospital is called Hospital Privada de Peru. If you get to Piura, all the taxi drivers know it by that name.

It is definitely wayyyyy cheaper for normal procedures here in Peru than in the USA and would pay for an extended vacation here many times over.