Places to visit in Lisbon

Hi,

For the ones living in Lisbon, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Lisbon, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days or for a week of holidays in Lisbon?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

aside from Chiado area and Belém, Rossio if you like theater(Sta. Maria) and you should at least spend a day in Sintra, also should you get the chance go for a drive in Guincho  it's really windy but the scenery is beautiful

@mrfigueiredo - thank you for the sharing of information :)

Hey Julie,

I agree with mrfigueiredo, it really worth to see the Chaido area, Rossio and Belém. I have spend in Lisbon a bit more than a week with my friend, and it was amaizing. We stayed in a hostel in the downtown (chiado and rossio belongs to the heart of the city). We visited sintra, which is also beautiful!!! We went on a Sintra tour with the guys from lisbonhost, and it was amaizing. I think a walking tour either in Sintra or in the downtown is a cool way to discover the city or other towns.
I also recommend you to see the coast: Cascais, Estoril, Carcavelos, or at the other side of lisbon: costa de caparica. that is my personal favourite, it is less touristic and beautiful! it is cheap to get there, and the transportation is really frequent.
What i really recommend is to prepare your feet and walk a lot :)) cause that is the best way to know a new and unknown city :)

@ SophiaMcC: Thank you for your contribution and Merry Christmas :)

I like the tourist buses for a first recon of a town. You pass most areas of interest, get an idea of what you will see and it lets you plan the rest of your visit based on what you have seen. Go up to the castle via bus or tourist tram, when you have seen the castle, catch the TukTuk down through Alfama to St Apolonia. Catch the ferry at Belem to Trafaria and enjoy a seafood lunch in one of the great restaurants there. For a day at the beach, catch 207 from Praca de Espanha, step off at the end of the line (Sesimbra) and walk down to the beach. Again, here the seafood restaurants are fabulous.

@diverdutch - thanks you very much for the sharing of information :)

I forgot to mention the Oceanario! This was the second largest aquarium in the world in 2004 when I first saw it. It has now fallen to a lowly top 10 in the world...well worth the money and the time.

most definitively @diverdutch Oceanario is the place to go for sure, well all the surrounding area, Parque das Nações (formerly Expo 98) is cool for siteseeing

Definitely visit Castelo de São Jorge , the view of the city  from there is amazing. The gardens of Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Sintra, yes, without a doubt, Oceanário.
Have fun
:)