Advice on working in Philippines - Brit/Filipino with dual nationality

Hello

My name is Chloe. I am 29 years old and I have been living and working in London for over five years now. I am British - born and raised, and my mum is Filipino and my dad, English. I am fortunate enough to have been able to get dual nationality and I have a Filipino passport.

My question to the forum is advice or guidance on working in the Philippines. My parents have since retired to live out there, and my wish, would be to experience living and working out there for a certain period of time, possibly a permanent move.

My experience is primarily based in the membership services sector spanning across public and private sectors, and my profession is Public Policy/Public Affairs/Government Affairs. I have recently worked for the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry. I recently gained an MA in Public Policy at King's College London and I am pursuing a career in policy based roles.

I would like to make the move in the next year or so - I realise that I need to build up experience in the region rather than come over and expect to retain the level I have in London. My experience as such, is not too senior that I am not flexible to consider junior roles, however, I am not "junior" in the "just graduated" sense.

I would like some advice on how I could make this jump - I am open to working in the private sector (for example communications for a business) policy, public affairs or even, if possible a Government department! Although, again, I am not sure how!

I have lots to offer in terms of skills, experience and knowledge and because I have a Filipino passport, this does give me an added advantage.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Chloe

Welcome!!  I would think you might want to take a three week vacation and check out all aspects of living in the Philippines while getting an idea of what the employment picture is for your line of work.  Manila will not remind you of London.  Have you ever been to the Philippines?  Where are your parents living?  These could be major factors in determining what is available where.  Best of luck in your search.

I would not recommend moving to Phils without a job lined up. You would be paid local wages, which are a pittance, especially in govt areas, which you need to know someone to get in. Working in London is where the opportunity lies, so dont understand why anyone at your age would give it up.

If you really serious and have good skills in govt/public affairs, would look to a NGO. There are a lot of them. (WB, ADB, UNICEF, Embassys, etc).