Retiring in Puerto Rico

My husband and I bought a house in Isabela in 2005 and we have been visiting PR since then.  We will be retiring and moving from the Chicago area permanently in November of this year.

Since there is much to do on the house, and my husband can do it all, he will hit the ground running.  As neuropsychoanalytically-minded developmental psychologist, I have been looking forward to reading and writing in my retirement, but. . .

I need to find some volunteer work to do several days a week. I would love to volunteer in an animal rescue shelter. I know there are 3 shelters mentioned on this blog, which I really appreciate learning about, one of them in Rincon and one in Utuada, but I would like to find one a little closer to Isabela.

I'm certainly interested in learning about other volunteer possibilities.  I was thinking about a children's ward in a hospital in Aguadilla, which wouldn't be too far.  Does anybody have any ideas about potential volunteer opportunities?  (I have a basis for becoming a Spanish speaker, but I need to do a lot of work on it - November!)

I would also love to meet some people and start a reading group (good fiction). I don't know if anybody has any suggestions about that.

Once I'm living fulltime in Isabela, I will plan to share whatever I learn on this blog.  I'm new to blogging (but not to listservs, etc.).  It's good!

Margaret Browning

Hello Margaret and welcome on the Forum.

Think that you have some pretty good ideas :top:

You should start by posting an advert in the Volunteering in Puerto Rico section.

Then, i would also advise you to post a second advert in the Activities in Puerto Rico section. It might help you to find some people for the reading group.

Wish you good luck.

Thanks

Karen :)

We would  like to know where we can purchase a home with 1 dog and two cats.  we would like a beach front home,and close to or with in driving distance to stores and hospitals.  We would like a three bedroom house.   We are Puerto Rican.  My husband was born and raised in PR. I am was born and raised I. NYC speak very little Spanish but in  the procees of learning.  We need help I finding a place to call home now so when retire we can just move immediately.

Gm Margaret
  I read your  post. I would like more information as to the area you live in.  I am looking forward to moving out of NYC.   Although I know this will be a great change and adjustment for me as I am use to the fast pace of NY I am looking  forward to turning it down a notch.  If you have any ideas that would be greatly appreciated

Lucylu

Hello Margaret,

Just thought I'd share … I'm also from Chicago.  My husband and I also purchased a condo in 2010 in Aguadilla and plan on retiring there; hopefully within 5 to 7 years.  Just like you, we visit Puerto Rico every year.  I always find it so hard to go back home, especially in the winter. 

Below are a couple of sites to newsletters that cover the Porta del sol area that you might find interesting.  It has some good information on things to do in the area, local businesses, etc.

* El Coqui of Rincon:  elcoquiofrincon.com/current-issue/
* La IslaReader:  issuu.com/laislareader

The two sites also have Facebook pages.

Best of luck to you and your husband and I hope you find the volunteer work you're looking for. 

Best Wishes,

Liz (from chi-town):)

clasificadosonline.com
They have listings for condos, apartments, houses, land, etc.,etc. for every pueblo on the island. For rent or sale. It's the most comprehensive site I know of.

Thank you for your help   I will look in to it

I was so surprised and pleased to see all the responses to my first post on this blog!  Thank you to everyone.

I picked this one to reply to because I am particularly pleased to have these two online newsletters.  I have spent some time in Rincon, but I need to spend more!

In terms of looking for properties, I agree that classificadosonline.com is the best!  My husband and I traveled around the perimeter of the island on our first visit to see what location on the water spoke to us.  We chose the north Atlantic side because we love a big surf - we're too old to take up real surfing, and probably shouldn't body surf so much anymore either, but watching the surf is continually existential.  Anyway, we certainly used classificadosonline, and my husband continues to look at it because it gives you such a good sense of what's going on with properties on PR.

I look forward to more reading and writing on this blog!

I don't know if you are aware of it but Rincon has world class sunsets. It's a ritual with a lot of people to stop what they are doing and go down to beach and watch the sunset. You can also see the whales migrate through there in the winter time. If you want to volunteer at an animal shelter there is an organization called ARF (animal rescue foundation) of Rincon. They don't actually have a shelter but are always badly in need of foster homes ( which you can do in Isabela) and help with transporting dogs to the San Juan Airport. I think there is also a PETCO in Isabela where they occasionally take dogs to display them for adoption. You could help with that too. They helped us get 16 dogs from our neighborhood when we lived in PR off the streets and flew them to the Hamptons in NY where they all got adopted except for the one we kept for ourselves. She now has a happy, happy forever home in Florida. I'll suggest to you the same thing I always say to people new to the island. Please carry a bag of dog food in your car along with some water and share it with the stray dogs and cats whenever you are able to. You might get ridiculed by the locals sometimes but don't let that bother you. Also on Sundays in the plaza in Rincon they have a small farmers market. It's a fun little market and they usually have yoga classes with it. If you go, stop by and see Vanessa for some home made(organic) goodies and bread. Tell her Gregg sent you. Ask her about the farmers market in Aguadilla too. I don't know how your Spanish is but she speaks English very well.

Thanks Gregg for so much information.  Your posts are terrific.  You must still visit Rincon?

No, I don't ever visit Rincon. There is a high probability I will never set foot on the island again unless it's on business for some reason, or to see my beautiful stepdaughter in Ponce, or to do something in association with one of the dog rescue organizations. But I did meet some absolutely wonderful people in Rincon. My life is richer by knowing a small handful of people there.

Hello, I don't know if you are ever on facebook but I have used the newcomer's club of San Juan for info on where to shop to 'how do you?' questions.  You don't have to be a member to be in their facebook group but if you are a member then they are involved in several charities--with a school, library and humane shelter to name a few....they also have members on all sides of the island.  I will be too far away from San Juan to join the coffee get together but they were trying to visit all the light houses around the island and you can join right in if they get closer to you. I'm moving there next month.  My husband will be retiring and we still are raising the last 3 (out of 6) kids they are 4, 10 and 12.  We will be moving back into where my hubby grew up just yards away from his boyhood home and 90% of our neighbors are his relatives.  Me and the kids have yet to learn Spanish.  But these forums and the facebook connections have been helping me feel more confident about moving there. Good luck!  :)  Here is the facebook connection to newcomers club:  facebook.com/groups/60426620411/

Hello all, I am interesting in retiring in Isabela Puerto Rico and currently travel to the area at least 2 times a year.  We currently own a home which we purchased in 2007.  My family went on vacation and I knew that this was the place we wanted to vacation in and retire some day.  I am still a ways off with respect to retirement but I want to start building some friendships and help others where I can. 

My husband is originally from Puerto Rico however I am not and still need to learn the language.  We have made some friends and have great neighbors.  We love our home as it sits on a hill top overlooking the ocean.  If you are planning on moving to Puerto Rico and you need some advice on renovating a home let us know.  We have done a lot to our home but it takes triple the time and is always more complicated than you think. 

I know once I decide to move to Puerto Rico I am going to have to find some activities to keep me busy.  Anyway good luck on your move!

Lisa

This facebook page is awesome - Is there a newcomers facebook page for the Northwest area of the island?  Thanks,

Newcomers San Juan covers the whole island.  Just ask on there I think they have a little group on your side but it's still just one group--I would be more helpful if I really knew my way around there but I don't yet :(

Lisa,

You and I must become friends in Isabela!  Our house overlooks the ocean as well, and we have lots of work to do on our property, but it's still wonderful!  You and I can work on our Spanish together (but your husband must be fluent!) and many other things.

I'm not quite sure how we exchange personal contact information on this blog, but I'll try to find out.

Margaret

Thanks - great!

Hello Margaret,

That sounds great!  We have been working on our house along the way but it's not easy.  We only get down to the island a couple of times a year - I still have two boys in school - one is going to be a junior in high school the other is going into the 8th grade.  We rent our house out from time to time during the year so once we start going down there much more we will do more of the major upgrades such as kitchens and bathrooms.  However, we did add a wonderful covered patio and a generator of course.  We have found that we need to be there to get the work done.  My husband is a contractor so he knows but construction down on the island is much different. 

Yes, my husband is fluent so its great for him but not so much for me.  I know I need to learn the language but I really have to put time aside each day.  I have the Spanish Rosetta Stone which is excellent but you need to be very committed.  The other problem is Puerto Rican Spanish is very different.  They tend to drop there s's so instead of Buenos dias = buen dia. Also, they speak very fast so I can pick up a word here and there. 

My house is off of Rt 113 about 1.5 miles from Rt 2 - I am more on the hillside not the direct cliffs which is higher up.  It sounds like you might be closer to Jobos.  Anyway we plan to come to the island in October to do some work (just me and my husband) and then we will be back with the family in February for the school vacation.

Look forward to meeting,

Lisa

My recommendation is to go to the island and plan a road trip.  My family went to Rincon, Ponce, Farjardo and San Juan and we settled on Isabela - why you may ask?  Because we were driving down rt 2 and after passing the Guajataca cliff and then coming upon the Indian head at the exit of Rt 113 I thought it was magical.  We explored the area and then I went online to this site:

point2homes.com/US/Real-Estate-Listings/PR.html

We then found ourselves a real estate agent and told him specifically what we were looking for.  Believe it or not we found a house in 2 days.  Be very specific and stick to it because they will try to show you a lot of condos and that was not what we wanted. 

On a another note the upkeep of homes on the island is extensive because the island climate can do a number on your home.  Depending on your landscaping you may need a gardener.  We have found a great gardener, electrician and plumber.  Many of the trades people will tell you they are plumbers but they are not licensed.  On the island everyone does everything.  Make sure you find licensed workers.  Also, houses need to be painted more often because of the weather.

Anyway just be prepared :). On a positive note you can own one property in Puerto Rico tax free. 

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Hello Lisa.
I read you blog. I am retiring to PR in about 3/4 years. We want to start looking at homes.  My husband is was born and raised in Puerto Rico but I am not, he speaks fluent Spanish  I do not.   He will be looking at homes he does have family there. We would like a home by the water. At least 3 bedrooms.  I would like it to be close to shopping and hospital and people  lol. I have a dog and two cats.  I would like to Los do Zoe volunteer work.  I am a teacher I know that I will have to learn to slow down coming from a fast pace worl such as New  York .    I would like to know the areas to search for housing either building new or purchasing or already   built .   I have so many questions.  I have to write them down.  For now thank you and hope to speak with you soon.

Lucy

I winter in PR every year and found my favorite location is a small town called Luquillo. Our condo is on the 16th floor of building 3 in Playa Azul. This complex has three high rise buildings consisting of 22 floors and 10 units per floor. The units vary from efficiency to 3br 2ba units. These three buildings sit on the beach of the Atlantic Ocean to our front and El Yunque, the rain forest to our back. I know there are a lot of expats in the Rincon area but I chose Luquillo because of the mix of expats and locals. Shopping is no problem with an outlet mall about 12 miles away, super Wal-Mart and Marshalls across from that and Plasa las America about 45 minutes away. Fajardo is about 5 miles away where there is another Wal-Mart, Econo and Ralphs for groceries.  Across the street from the complex is a Walgreens and Amego another grocery store. Just up the road is where 62 kiscos (small restaurants)are located and you can find any kind of food you desire. Luquillo is about 45 minutes South West of San Juan and the airport with a new toll road, rt 66, for your travel. We are members of the Newcomers club and recommend giving them a look. I hope this will help someone who is looking to become an expat or snow bird.