FINDING WORK IN CANADA IS NOT EASY

I have on a number of different occasions posted the following information about finding employment in Canada, looks like people just aren't reading other posts to find out information that's already there if you look.

FINDING JOBS IN CANADA IS NOT AT ALL EASY FOR FOREIGNERS.

Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are the top 3 destinations for newcomers to Canada to settle in. It is exactly for this reason that finding employment anywhere near these cities is more difficult than any other parts of Canada. Ever since the sub-prime crisis in the USA the Canadian economy and employment situation has suffered greatly. So in these cities you will not only be competing with all the other newcomers to Canada for every job vacancy, but also with thousands of unemployed Canadian applicants too. In Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia there are more people in the labor market than there are available jobs. Also these cities have almost reached the point of saturation with newcomers. Everybody who comes to Canada can't expect to all live in the same place, it's just not possible and it is not reasonable to expect this.

Other cities are much better for finding employment. The Province of Alberta, for example, is undergoing one of its greatest periods of economic growth ever. In Edmonton and Calgary there are more jobs available than there are people to fill them. This is true right across the entire spectrum of professions, skilled work, semi-skilled and unskilled work; jobs are available in all of these.

While nothing takes the place of personally doing your job hunting in the city where you wish to work, you might have some luck finding a job online using

www.workopolis.comwww.monster.ca

These two are about the best I've heard about recently.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I couldn't agree more. In Alberta job seeker will have more opportunities in oil companies.

I suggest the Alberta Learning Information Service as a starting point in looking for a job.

You should determine first the job title relevant to your work experience. From there you can also use the job title in searching to other websites like Indeed and CareerBuilder.

Do you think people are going to read this instead of asking the same question over & over again?

No. They will just ask again and again.

A few will, but you're right most will just ask the same question over and over and over and over.....

We can always just refer them here from hereon :-)
The non-readers migh also be just a vocal minority relative to all those who do read it without us ever knowing.

Even if this were a sticky, people would ignore it and the million other topics that answer their questions.  You can lead a horse to the internet, but you can't make him read it.

Thank you for the imformation!! I hope its ok to ask you some questions... I live in Florida U.S. and want to move to Canada. How do I get a work visa. Do I go there first and apply with an employer until I get a job and then go through the visa application? I am looking at the areas you requested ( I had thought somewhere in BC however it does not matter that much.

Thank you,
Ron

Hi Ron,

The easiest work permit to get is under the NAFTA agreement between our countries. I used it my self for about 3 years in AZ and NA as a programmer there. It is good for one year from start of issue and you need a new one for each year after, and if you change jobs, you need a new one for that new job.

One thing, this visa is not a immigration visa, it is a work permit visa. If you decided to immigrate that is another procedure.

Basically, you need a letter from the company that is willing to hire you. This letter (with letter head) identifies themselves, you, the job and it's description and that they could not find another qualified candidate for the job here. Again, this letter is not a immigration support letter, as they are not sponcering your immigration here.

You will also need your passport etc the information can be checked on a website or contact the Canadian immigration/permits website for details.

Hope this is a start for you Ron...