Adapting to the weather

hi i am wondering how others cope with the change of climate in your new country..i am  from New Zealand with a cooler climate compared to north africa, where i am living now...after 10 months of the heat i am still dragging my big electric fan from room to room..how do you cope?  or have u moved to a cold climate and find yr shivering all day?

im fom tunisia and its in north africa ..i want say that our climat and weather is the best i dont know how is the wetaher int he other country of north africa but in our cuntry the wxweather is always perfect so its not much hot in summer and in whinter is not much cold bc oft he sea and bc of the plce bc tunisia is in the half between europpa and africa so thats why but  i want advice you to stop your fear and to try really accept the new situation i think its not problem in weather but problem in ur inside that until now u cant accept ;) so accept it  morarly and sure you will succeed to accept it physicely ..so u r welcome and whish u will succeed sandy:)

I moved from cold and wet England to hot and commonly wet Indonesia.
I just got used to it. I still get hot but that what showers are for.
I think the trick is positive attitude. It isn't hot; the showers are really refreshing - get it?

We humans are adaptable creatures but only if we allow ourselves to do so. The expats I've met that complain about the heat don't usually last long before they go home and moan in pubs about what a dump is.

mas fred...i can't agree with your view..
i have been in this hot country for one yr now...so i am lasting..."get it"..yes cold showers do work if you're at home

..but really not as simple as you say...i have a very positive attitude to my new country...but without my fan beside me i just melt no amount of positive thinking is changing that fact..

but i live in hope that time will take care of it...and "no"  i won't be going home to sit in some pub and whinge about my exp here...

..i don't have fear..i am just hot..even my husband struggles with the heat some days and he is tunisian....just want to know if others struggle with the climate in their new countries and how they adapted .

I know how you are feeling Sandyrose53.
In the summer it can be very hot and I can't without our fans day AND night. It is like an infuse :lol:
We don't have airco's.
When it is so hot I can't do anything except stay as much as possible cool and breath. I carry all the time a small towel to dry myself off. But after a few years I get more adapted to the weather.
There is one good thing about it and that I always loose weight :up:

thank you primadonna..yes we lose weight for sure...:D

There is hope for you too!

And this year it seems that is less warmer then the years before and I hope it will stays that way during the Ramadan.
It will be more easier for them who are fasting.

sandyrose53 wrote:

mas fred...i can't agree with your view..

That's because you don't get it. I'll start with a note - the temperature in Tunis is about the same as it is in Jakarta so we have similar conditions to cope with except we have greater humidity.

Tunis weather

Jak weather

Yesterday, I walked over 6km in Jakarta's baking hot sun.
If I'd moaned on an internet forum about the heat, the sun would still be as hot.
That in mind, I used my mind to control my body. The simple start is physical; breath through your nose so you don't get thirsty, wear a hat so the sun does hit your head and pop sun block on so you don't burn.
After that, just control your heart rate and relax.

but without my fan beside me i just melt no amount of positive thinking is changing that fact..

Yes, it will. You just don't know how to do it.
Far too many people have no clue about positive attitude or how to use their mind to control their body.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04 … tummo.html

I'm not up to that standard but control of body temp by a few degrees is easy enough for almost anyone ..... if they have the right attitude.

As to the fan dragging - buy another fan?

first of all your looking at the temp at the wrong end of the country...we are averaging 36-38 deg just now.. and will be getting hotter...i see yr 26 deg for tues, we in fact were 36deg...a big difference...and it is the first time i have ever heard that you can control yr temp with yr mind..not something i would even know about coming from a country where this has never been necessary..this is a forum for chatting about anything..and it is encouraged..so why call it whinging...i c on yr profile, you say you like to make people smile..so practice what you preach...you sound like an angry man..maybe your not coping with the heat...if u can control yr body temp so easily ..perhaps you can control yr rudeness also..

sandyrose53 wrote:

first of all your looking at the temp at the wrong end of the country...we are averaging 36-38 deg just now.. and will be getting hotter...i see yr 26 deg for tues, we in fact were 36deg...a big difference...and it is the first time i have ever heard that you can control yr temp with yr mind..not something i would even know about coming from a country where this has never been necessary..this is a forum for chatting about anything..and it is encouraged..so why call it whinging...i c on yr profile, you say you like to make people smile..so practice what you preach...you sound like an angry man..maybe your not coping with the heat...if u can control yr body temp so easily ..perhaps you can control yr rudeness also..

I'm from Yorkshire - it's a place that doesn't produce diplomats because we say what we think.

So, it's 36, not 33 - big deal.
I did a ten mile walk in Malaysia with a 20kg pack - so what? Many locals work outside all day in the same conditions.

As for your comments about your lack of knowledge - QED.
I do know of such things and practice them, even though I'm from a cold place.

As for angry -no - just saying what I see.

As for rude -

i have been in this hot country for one yr now...so i am lasting..."get it

I think you started the sarcasm so you've nothing to come there.

If you can't open your mind to possibilities or accept advice - not my fault.
Final note. You've been in a place for ten months or a year, depending on which of your posts isn't a terminological inexactitude, but you still can't cope - sounds like you're buggered anyway.

..no it is you who was being sarcastic...
the showers are really refreshing - get it?

nothing wrong with giving yr opinion but you did also say..

The expats I've met that complain about the heat don't usually last long before they go home and moan in pubs about what a dump is. provocative words...tell me other expats is this what most of you do..as this writer says (moan in pubs)..

so what was that all about?..does not sound like advice to me..you don't sound too friendly ..more angry for some reason....i am no longer going to waste time arguing with you...so you get to have the last word!..more angry words i am sure..but i will live..have a good day...

here is a little advice for you...take a chill pill..relax and breathe..and you feel calmer.:)

And yes yr correct..my mistake i meant to say, i have been here nearly one yr..not 1 yr..thanks for pointing that out...:D

It's lovely in Indonesia.
Beautiful, warm sunshine and lovely people.

Who knew that a topic on the weather could get people so hot under the collar.

I'm with Fred on this one - and I can't believe I said that.  Humans can adapt to different temperatures.  We've been doing it for a very long time.  Regulating your body temperature isn't hard at all.  Dancers, athletes, people who do a lot of physical activity do it all the time.

yes adapting comes with time..it is while i am adapting that is the issue for me...i know i am better than last yr...i have also read that it is a lot easier when yr young..and as you age the weather extremes get harder to handle..

maybe i am in that category...i loved the heat when i was young could not get enough of it in the summer..sadly not like that anymore for me...and we are all made different some handle all sorts of conditions better than others.

maybe u can give me some pointers on how to regulate my body heat..as i have no clue how to do this...

Oh, so sorry; I didn't realise you were old.
Someone just starting out has to pick up the basics of meditation.
It gets very easy as you gain experience but you must have your mind open to ideas.
Some people just can't accept the thought of mind over matter so never manage.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR