Interested in meeting people living in Belize

in 1985 I was in Belize and met some of the people living in Unitedville... between Belmopan and Cayo... most recently I am speaking with others about returning to Belize. I would like to begin reading about the country and the people and get your thoughts about Belize today in 2013... and what it would be like for an citizen of the USA to live there.

Hello yakay and Welcome to Expat.com :)

I am pretty sure that you will make interesting contacts on the forum.

Do not forget to keep us updated about your expat experiences over there.

Thanks

Karen :)

Thank you for the reply. I hope to meet people that are in Belize for I am not there.. hope to converse with them there...and then maybe get there myself.

yakay wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I hope to meet people that are in Belize for I am not there.. hope to converse with them there...and then maybe get there myself.

Hello!  I moved to Corozal Belize this past February from Grand Rapids, Michigan.  It's a wonderful place to live.... for me, but not for everyone.  I am retired so have the luxury of living life as I wish.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Hi Yakay I bet that was a super cool experience Belize in 1985. I am a Canadian on AC been here 7.5 years now.

Cathiekl do you have any favorite shops in Corozal? I am trying to make time to come there for a day and poke around, every time I have passed through it has been to quick and I never got to tour the area well enough.

tacogirl wrote:

Hi Yakay I bet that was a super cool experience Belize in 1985. I am a Canadian on AC been here 7.5 years now.

Cathiekl do you have any favorite shops in Corozal? I am trying to make time to come there for a day and poke around, every time I have passed through it has been to quick and I never got to tour the area well enough.

Morning!  I guess the shops really depend on what you are looking for. I enjoy rummaging through Saritas Idelmart on the highway.  Lydia's shop is always interesting as is Di Hindu.  Family Supermarket and Central Supermarket both carry loads of interesting foodstuffs.  Cintys is loaded, but difficult to navigate...stuff all over. The market has fine stalls  I ought material for my curtains there...walked d own 4 stalls and had the seamstress sew them.  Very nice outcome!  Lanos Hardware has always allowed me to wander through the back after I told them about Americans and impulse purchases.  Haha!   It's all good!  I've only lived here since February and still have many places to investigate.   BTW, the YNOT bakery... With baked goods from about 2:30 or 3:00pm are amazing!   

If you let me know when you're coming I'd be happy to shop around with you.....   Love shopping!

That sounds great Cathiekl.

One thing I always look for are Asian owned shops as I miss china town.

I am also currently looking for a couple of magazines any chance there is a decent source there? Broadies is whee I was planning to go for those but Corozal would work too.

Laurie

tacogirl wrote:

That sounds great Cathiekl.

One thing I always look for are Asian owned shops as I miss china town.

I am also currently looking for a couple of magazines any chance there is a decent source there? Broadies is whee I was planning to go for those but Corozal would work too.

Laurie

I'm not aware of any magazine stores here.  For current mags.  And we do not have a Brodie's! 

Another Asian shop I like is MeiMei.

Thanks that is helpful. A trip to Broadies it is and I see MeiMei in my future :)

We are coming to corozal in a couple weeks.  cathiekl.....it seems like you are really enjoying.it there.  We will be looking for a rental...any suggestions.  Someone had mentioned checking out the Hotel maya, that she may do a 6 months lease.  Do you know about that location?

Thanks

I know folks who have stayed at the Hotel Maya.  But are you renting at the hotel or the guest house?  For budget accommodations I've always used The Sea Breeze Hotel....  Gwyn has only seven rooms, two with AC.  But great hot water showers.  I rent my house from Gwyn also. 

Look forward to meeting you and hope you enjoy Corozal!

i am thinking about retiring in Belize

i was thinking that it may be best to live in some kind of gated community

I am not looking to party  but would like a quieter kind of living

so information on the best location shopping health insurance

i have dual passports canadian & english

[email protected]

Thanks so much!  We will be in town for a week.  I think we have decided corozal will fit our needs.  My husband will be starting a consulting business see will be looking for a rental for 6-12 months for him.  I will spend the majority of my time back in the states until our last child graduates next year.

Since the majority of his work can be done online, he will stay in Belize and start looking for property.  We are really excited to visit Corozal, we currently live in Dallas.

I noticed you were from grand rapids.... My husband was raised in Lansing,  we visited last christmas and it was way too cold for me!   What a difference for you from Michigan to Belize.

We were planning on renting a car at the airport. Is that better than relying on the bus to get around in corozal?
Thanks so much for the info.

Mommy2all6 wrote:

Thanks so much!  We will be in town for a week.  I think we have decided corozal will fit our needs.  My husband will be starting a consulting business see will be looking for a rental for 6-12 months for him.  I will spend the majority of my time back in the states until our last child graduates next year.

Since the majority of his work can be done online, he will stay in Belize and start looking for property.  We are really excited to visit Corozal, we currently live in Dallas.

I noticed you were from grand rapids.... My husband was raised in Lansing,  we visited last christmas and it was way too cold for me!   What a difference for you from Michigan to Belize.

We were planning on renting a car at the airport. Is that better than relying on the bus to get around in corozal?
Thanks so much for the info.

Ar you planning to fly into Belize City airport or into Cancun?  Rental cars are expensive here!  When I have folks coming in to Belize airport I have Henry Menzies VIP Transfer pick them up at the airport and return them to Corozal.  They also have rental cars and they are local.  I've found their vehicles clean and their drivers professional and accommodating.   belizetransfers.com/

I do not own a vehicle at this time.  I love to walk. And I can use the local taxis easily for big shopping.  To get to the market..  The stores.  Take my dog to the Vet.   Anywhere in town.  $5BZ. OR $2.50 US. Each way.  It works well for me.  Corozal is not that large.   Hope this helps.  Best!  Cathie

renting a car at the airport will cost $100 a day US.  We rented at the airport & came to Corozal.  this worked out well.   walking around may be more than you had in mind.  there is no shopping to speak of in Corozal, at least not like "shopping" as we think of it in the USA.  The Chinese markets are nothing like china town.  I like it here however it is NOT like the USA at all.

kristinanadreau wrote:

renting a car at the airport will cost $100 a day US.  We rented at the airport & came to Corozal.  this worked out well.   walking around may be more than you had in mind.  there is no shopping to speak of in Corozal, at least not like "shopping" as we think of it in the USA.  The Chinese markets are nothing like china town.  I like it here however it is NOT like the USA at all.

So true!   But that's part of the reason I moved here.  Simpler life. Gentle lifestyle.

I told Gwyn last night I would put in a good word for him. But the Maya has a number of apartments with hot water showers and full kitchens.

The Sea Breese doesn't offer that kind of apartment. They only have a shared kitchen. But they are less expensive than the Maya for people on a tight budget.

I would not recommend signing a lease with Maya though, because I'm sure after a couple of months you would be able to find a cheaper place that you would enjoy.

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely check with sea breeze.

I have a teaching degree and a MaEd.  I would like to do some volunteer work with the school systems; tutoring  etc.  Are the schools open to expats volunteering in this manner?

Mommy2all6 wrote:

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely check with sea breeze.

I have a teaching degree and a MaEd.  I would like to do some volunteer work with the school systems; tutoring  etc.  Are the schools open to expats volunteering in this manner?

That is way beyond my expertise, I sure can't answer your question.
I'm an ex-engineer,,,but I also minored in history,I could teach that myself..but I haven't had people asking me to do that lol

to the teacher.    The corozal woman's group has a good relationship with the schools here .   We have several programs we bring to the schools.   There are both public and private schools.  your skills will be most welcome.

Would like to communicate with people through this forum who actually are living in Belize now.  I am presently living in Canada and may at some point want to leave this country.  Any tips & insights of your own personal experiences on Belize including the best places to live would be most welcomed.