Saudi Working Week

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah has today issued a royal order that Friday and Saturday should be the new weekend holidays. The original weekend in the Kingdom was Thursday-Friday.

Accordingly, the order will be enforced Saturday, June 29 2013

How do you feel?

That I have to work a day extra this week :)

If not enforced until the Saturday you should get Thu - Sat off work?

It was inevitable.  It's fine with me but my Saudi colleagues aren't happy about it.

Why aren't they happy?

It's bringing all GCC together and gives a much more productive working week.

Josnuggles wrote:

Why aren't they happy?

It's bringing all GCC together and gives a much more productive working week.

Because it's putting the day of rest before the day in which all the errands, etc., take place.  So the day with all the running around/activity will now lead into the new work week. 

It makes sense.  In the west, we use Sunday to wind down; in KSA they used Friday.

oh, and my colleagues don't necessarily care about a productive work week lol  Their objections are purely personal!

I think its a good and sensible decision; it will align KSA with  other advanced economies, specially with the global financial markets. The overall economy should benefit.

vkrmbhtngr wrote:

I think its a good and sensible decision; it will align KSA with  other advanced economies, specially with the global financial markets. The overall economy should benefit.

'

I totally agree!

Alliecat wrote:

Because it's putting the day of rest before the day in which all the errands, etc., take place.  So the day with all the running around/activity will now lead into the new work week. 

It makes sense.  In the west, we use Sunday to wind down; in KSA they used Friday.

Ah got it

The decree orders effect from 29-Jun which falls on Saturday. I wish everyone gets a 3 days off this week :)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

The decree orders effect from 29-Jun which falls on Saturday. I wish everyone gets a 3 days off this week :)

Lets hope so too :D

I heard my bank's HR guys are preparing a circular for a 3 day off for this weekend but not sure whats SAMA stance on this one.

On another note, locals even at my office are not happy with this decision.

I hope you guys work 6 days this week :cool:

My husbands company are all arguing. Legal say 3 day weekend and a 5 day week.
HR are saying a 2 day weekend and a 6 day week.

Nowhere have I read what time the law takes effect. Typical of GCC

3 days weekend for us in my company...AWSOME!!

ahmadaq wrote:

3 days weekend for us in my company...AWSOME!!

You lucky so and so

A lot of companies are having a 3 day weekend which is good news.

Enjoy :)

Atleast mine is.. finally getting to see a long weekend in Saudi..
My bad for not keeping exit-reentry valid, otherwise could've driven to Bahrain.

Any company who offers a 2 day weekend will have to give Thu-Fri-Sat off for this week only, doing not so will be against the Royal Decree as the Royal Decree instructs to be implemented from Jun 29th.
All the banks thus, are following the same.

pkmusd wrote:

Atleast mine is.. finally getting to see a long weekend in Saudi..
My bad for not keeping exit-reentry valid, otherwise could've driven to Bahrain.

This is what most are doing :) Poor causeway.