Nanny/Infant Care in Honduras

My husband and I are considering a move to San Pedro Sula in August with a three month old. In order to make the move, both of us will have to work, which would mean that we would need to find childcare for our daughter. As she will be our first child, I am a bit wary about leaving her in the care of someone else, so I wanted to see if anyone else had had experiences with nannies or infant care in Honduras and wouldn't mind sharing their experiences. I know it isn't the ideal situation, but anything anyone could share in regards to their experiences, available options, Honduran childcare in general, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,
I saw your ad and I don't know where you are from or if you have found anyone..and I know this is a little out there..But..I am from the U.S. and I am looking into moving to Honduras, but havn't exactly decided on a particular location yet. Anyway, I am 24 years old, and graduated from college a year ago. While going through college I spent my time waiting tables, babysitting a 2 and 3 year old for a year, and cleaned my manager and his friend's house. I know that you posted your ad awhle ago, but I was thinking that if you were looking for someone still I would be interested. However, I would not be moving to Honduras until January 2011, but like I said I clean and babysit and would love to have at least a part time job lined up before I move there. Let me know what you think or if you have any advice about finding a job in Honduras, or where to live. Thank you.

Stacie

Stacie,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you. Emails tend to get buried when I don't keep on top of them. You may have done more research since you sent this, but I did want to let you know that you will most likely have a very difficult time finding a job in childcare or domestic work in Honduras. Most domestic workers are Honduran and work for very little money (by US standards) and most people would not hire you for more than they could pay someone locally. I'm not sure about other job opportunities, but you can contact the group Honduras Living at yahoo groups to post more questions. Personally, I would also advise against San Pedro Sula as a destination. There isn't much to do and it is generally considered unsafe, so you may find yourself restricted as to your ability to really experience Honduras here unless you have Honduran family or friends that live here.

All that said, best of luck to you. I don't want to discourage you, but just to let you know a few realities of life here.