Newbie needing lots of info

Hi,

Guess starting with my name would be good, Randy.  I am 63, and find myself in a situation where becoming an expat is a possibility. Have thought about this for a number of years but never seriously.

I need a mentor!

Financially, right now I could have a  guaranteed income of $2300-2400 per month.  A bit more if I wait till next march when I turn 64. Between the ages of 65-66 I will receive an extra $1100-1200 per month. I do have some cash, not much, maybe 15K.  Could have more but then this would affect future income streams.

What I am looking for.  Just want to be comfortable. (I know, define comfortable)  Guess here in the states I would refer to comfortable as middle class.  Don't need to be located in or by a large city.  Would be nice to be located near the ocean but not necessary.  Internet is important, not so much television.  Shopping, give me access to quality produce, meat, fish and I am happy, as I enjoy cooking.  Would love to learn to cook local as I so enjoy cooking in general.  I want to become a part of the community.  As the saying goes, when in Rome.....

What about medical?  Now I am healthy, but.  Health insurance?  What do you need for transportation?  Do you want to rent or own?  What are the requirements, financially, and else wise, to live in Belize?  Jobs, from what I have read, are scarce unless you start your own business.  Financially I am trending towards the less expensive side of the scale.  With the financial info contained here in is Belize even an option for me?

I am also considering Hondurous and Equador as retirement possibilities if anyone has knowledge to share. 

Thanks to all in advance!

Randy

Hello Randy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You can browse the forums of the countries you mentionned and even post your message there -> Expat forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Health insurance, medical insurance is must. You need to have it.

A useful site for people looking to live abroad, especially US Citizens, is "International Man". I have belonged for two years now, and have found its forum truly excellent. I blogged about it in May last year, and contribute occasional comments on financial matters. I am a former Manager of the Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce, and have some financial background. Check it out. http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2012/ … l-man.html

Hi Gordon Barlow,

Thank you for your post :)

It would be much appreciated if you could share your experiences and post them directly on the forum so that other members can also benefit.

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hasnaa. I'm not quite sure what you mean. My blog-posts average 600 words, which I have always thought would be far too long for an Expat.com comment; that's why I sometimes give just a link. For instance, here is the whole blog on the "International Man" site. If you would rather I include the whole thing in my comment, I can do that, of course. Please let me know.

Monday, May 7, 2012
“International Man” (an expat website)
A little while ago I came across a Web forum called International Man (dot com), contributors to which are mainly US expats and intending expats. A minority of them already live outside the US, and are happy to advertise the virtues of their new homes; others are unhappy in them and are looking for somewhere else. Some are retired, others have jobs or businesses. In total, there are hundreds of posts asking or telling about the pros and cons of living in this country or that.

What a shame Cayman's authorities don't welcome foreign businessmen or retirees. It would help our economy, if they did. Unfortunately, a change would require a 180-degree turn in our rulers' immigration policy, and that's not going to happen without one political Team or the other adopting an openly pro-expat platform.

Latin America is the region of choice for US citizens. Uruguay seems to be losing its appeal in favour of Paraguay and Chile; Panama and Dominican Republic are preferred to Costa Rica and eastern Mexico. Belize is the most praised of English-speaking territories. A surprising number favour South-East Asian nations: Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore. New Zealand is well thought of, but not Australia (on this particular site).Of the small Pacific territories, Vanuatu and Cook Islands receive honourable mentions. Few Caribbean islands make the list, except Nevis and DR for second-passports.

The site's basic purpose is to encourage its readers to become “international men” – to slough off their tribal loyalties as best they can and embrace a world-view of – uh, well, of the world, I suppose. More and more thinking Americans are becoming disenchanted with their nation's behaviour both internationally and domestically. Some have found it hard to abandon trust in their government's good faith – not least about the alleged existentialist threat of the world's entire stock of Moslems.

The thinkers are perceptive enough to realise that Moslems (“rag-heads”, “hajjis”) are simply the new “niggers”. The new hatred of Islam (among those who do hate people not like themselves) merely displaced an existing hatred of Blacks. Probably, all of today's Moslem-haters were yesterday's racists. If I were a Black or Jewish or Hispanic or homosexual American, I would stay well clear of the verbal attacks on Moslems, in the certain knowledge that “my” people will always be the backup victims – in the future, as they were in the past.

International Man is a relatively new site, and most of its members are new to the idea of leaving their homes in the USA. A large percentage would like to acquire second-passports. They expect that one day they will be forbidden from renouncing their citizenship, and be subjected to exchange-controls on the expatriation of private assets. Would the US ever do such a thing? Surely not! Surely that sort of action went out with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Surely America is not bent on a 1984-type empire, sustained by permanent warfare. Well, who knows...?

More and more Americans are losing faith in their nation's future as a democracy. Some of them believe that moving to a foreign domicile will protect their freedoms – and that a foreign passport will guarantee their freedom to travel. Others, less trusting, just want to slip out from under the US radar.

The International Man site has plenty to interest Cayman's expats, at least those who are skilled or have a healthy retirement package put away and are on the lookout for overseas bolt-holes. Unskilled expats, unfortunately, don't have the option of going anywhere except home, if our economy turns turtle. Native-born Caymanians (in general) aren't receptive to the notion of ever leaving Cayman, whatever the economic circumstances. They believe their politicians will protect them from poverty as long as the tax-haven lasts, which in practice means as long as our status as a British colony lasts. They're probably right. But I wonder how long that will be, in years.

Hi Gordon Barlow,

Thank you very much for your contribution and for this sharing. :)

Christine
Expat.com team

[I think there was a little confusion, sorry about that]

Christine wrote:

Hi Gordon Barlow, Thank you very much for your contribution and for this sharing. :)
Christine
Expat.com team
[I think there was a little confusion, sorry about that]

OK, Christine. I don't mind posting the whole essay if you don't! The thing is, that I've often already blogged (written the 600 words) on topics that arise, and it makes more sense to paste the link than to try to reduce the blog to a paragraph or two. So from now on I will post my blog in toto. Thanks for the advice.

@Gordon Barlow - that's fair enough. Thank you :)

I think a link to a blog post is a lot better than copying & pasting the entire post.  Blog posts are for blogs.  Forums posts are for forums.

I agree, Hailey, but this is the EB Team's forum, so we have to play by their rules. Fair enough.

I'm learning more about keeping in my place all the time.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR