Things to do to keep busy

I'm moving to Accra soon and am worried I won't have enough activities to keep me busy and happy all day each day. Here I would just jump in my car and go to store but I know there that will not be happening. I know u cook from scratch so that I will enjoy and cleaning but what else to keep busy?  Anyone suggest anything done there?

I don't know where you will be living but in Accra you can just jump in your car and go to the store - or get a taxi or trotro! There are two Malls in Accra now and lots of other stores but you might prefer to go to the local markets as they are much more interesting.
There is lots to do depending on your interests. A lot of people volunteer as there are lots of organisations needing help. There are a variety of organisations which hold meetings or get togethers for people with similar interests like reading, sewing, golf etc.
If your house has a garden you can plant a variety of things and see how they grow.
I hope you will enjoy your stay

I'm very into sewing, crafts and scrap booking here. They tend to keep me busy but I know I will not have lots of funds for such things. I hear the power goes out a lot there is that true? Is the Internet service affordable? I guess I'm a little scared to give up things they might not have there.

Sewing is very affordable here. There are lots of lovely materials and good dressmakers and Ghanaians have their clothes made.
Internet is affordable if you restrict it to emails and browsing but downloading becomes expensive as you pay for every megabite.
You are going to have a lot of great experiences in Ghana and focussing on that and not what you will be missing in your own country helps when you move to a new country and culture and you will find that a lot of things you thought you needed are not really necessary at all!
And if you really do need them they will be available in Accra!
Enjoy your stay

Hello Jessy,and welcome to Expat-Blog.
Things to do to keep you busy,there are several things you can do to be busy when you will come in Ghana.
The first thing  is to go church if you are a christian,you'll participate and integrate several groups.Because have the time to pray and worship God is the best way to be busy.
Secondly,i can't advise you to jump in your car and go to the grocery store or everywhere,you can do it if it need  but beware because the traffic jam is too much here especially working days.Otherwise,you can go to cafe,internet service is affordable.There are good places like Vodafone,or Busy internet,there,the link 's very speed and you can download your folder,software etc... quickly.If not,your modem or wireless be useful at home for your PC.You can jump in your care and go to the big store like Shoprite or Melcome and Pizzeria.
Finally,you should join some organization,volunteer  needing helps if you are interested,to share your experiences.One,at Alliance Francaise you'll find some project and do something to make you busy,even your crafts and craps booking 'll interested people here.Remember,We always learn from others.The Power goes out this latter times,but we hope that everything will be back.
So ,that all.Hoping to read you soon.I wish you all the best and Welcome.

Wow sounds like I will find lots to do. I would love to volunteer that sounds great. I will have to look into that.  I would also love to teach my crafts and share my knowledge. I'm feeling more at ease now. Thanks everyone!

Ohhh ! Jessy ,You are very welcome.

Can anyone tell me of the cost of medications there? Are they costly or is there a website I can see prices at?

It depends on what type of medication that you need.
Malaria medicine and things like asprin and paracetomol are similar in price to the UK. I think you will find medical bills here are a lot less than in the US but private clinics are not cheap and so you might like to think about some form of insurance.
With regard to the medication it is probably better to bring what you need, at least for the first few months, until you have managed to find a pharmacist who stocks what you need.

I have sleep apnea and need a breathing machine to sleep at night. Do u know if I need a medicall note from my doctor explaining the device? Also if I bring my medicine with me do I need a note for
Doctor explaining what each drug is and why I take it?

Thanks again for all your help

I thin that would be a very good idea. I doubt if the doctors here would have much knowledge about your condition. Also I would check if your device can have a back up battery system as most powercuts come in the night.

By power cuts u mean rain and loss of power. Like a power outage right? Good idea to see if there is a unit that maybe runs off batteries or stays charged and runs without electric for a period of time.

The powercuts don't just happen because of rain they can happen at any time so you need to be prepared.

Hi Jessy.You know,you need to be prepared well before coming in Ghana,bring your own medications.Here if you purchased your medications in a pharmacy,check expiration date.Not to be  surprised.The powercuts are frequent here.You can get a generator,but me i don't like because it makes noise.so, i use rechargeable light when there is a power outage.If you are sick just consul a doctor who will prescribe medications for you.
Ok so,that all i wish u all the best. bye bye

I'm just worried a out my breathing machine so I can get sleep. From what I can tell it only runs on power. If I sleep without it I don't breath well. I will just have to work around the outages. I am so excited to be coming there soon.

Most people who can afford it have a generator or some other form of back up power. Check that your machine can run on the power from a generator or perhaps a car battery that you could charge up when the power is running and you won't need to worry.
Do you know which area of Accra you will be based? The power situation varies in different places. We live in Spintex and we are quite lucky but yesterday we had no power from 7am to 6pm but fortunately that is quite rare.

Don't worry,you will connect your breathing machine in generator using an adapter.Car battery,beware (voltage and connectors).
The electrical provisioning is normally 220 vols,for 120 vols appliances will need an adapter.
spintex road,cool area but the outage does not selects area ,you can be at spintex or abelempke when the button is triggers one is surprised.
It's like lightning,it can trike anywhere.So what can we do?we must protect against light off using,generator or charger light .

Why does the power go off so much there? I'm yet to understand that.

Basically because Ghana does not produce enough power to meet the needs of the users. Also things break down or there are fires which damage transformers etc. A lot of people don't pay their bills or connect to the power supply illegally so the electricity companies lose a lot of money that way. They are debating at the moment the need to charge more for it as it is cheap - we pay about $75 per month and we have air conditioners. However it is still a big proportion of a Ghanaian wage.

Yes that amount seems too high for the wages there. I'm still excited to come. I've been told that alit of the Ghanaians cook from scratch is that true? I'm trying to learn Ewe language to help when I come. Any advise on things to bring with me to make life there a little more comfortable?

Yes there isn't much in the way of processed foods unless you want to pay very high prices for frozen food. Ghanaian cooking is not that difficult though, chop onions and garlic, grind tomatoes, ginger and chillies in a blender unless you have someone who can do it using local implements, add to the onion and fry with maggi cubes and peanut paste. Add some pre cooked beans and a tin of fish or corned beef and you have my version bean stew! It goes down well with my Ghanaian husband anyway!
It is difficult to tell you what to bring as you can get basically everything here and if you shop around you can find them at reasonable prices. I suppose you think what you really can't do without and bring a supply of those things to tide you over until you find where they sell them.

What dies it take to get Ghana citizenship and how long does it take plus how much does it cost?

You need to go on to the Ghana immigration website for the requirements for citizenship. However I am not sure if that is what you are really asking about. To live here you need a resident's permit. Most people who come to Ghana are coming for work so get a work permit which entitles them to live here, others, like me come to live with their spouse and get a spousal resident's permit which is issued for a year initially and then for longer after that. I think it costs around GhC 100 and takes around a month for the first one and then a couple of weeks after that. After 5 years you can get an indefinite visa which means you can stay indefinitely! I presume you have to renew it from time to time as you renew your passport.
With citizenship I think you have to give up the citizenship of your country but I am not sure about that as Ghanaians can have dual citizenship now.

The power goes off,because the materials used by electrity company are poor qualities.Also,transformers,wires are out of date ,and sometimes a meter single connects several houses this is a frequent case here.
Yesterday ,we had no power from 7.40am to 6.30pm
rotations at each time, even on Sunday often sectional the current.I remove the battery of my lap to avoid what runs to waste .    It's not easy at all but by the grace of God we try to manage.
The website: Ghanaimmigration.org
  Cheers!