Coming to Ghana

Hello all,

Great to see there is a forum for expat :-)

We are a swiss family of 4 (kids 3 and 5) and are looking to move to Accra soon.

I've found a bit on standard of living, but here's what we will have . Euro 5000/ USD 7400 per month.

We need for housing, usual costs (electricity, internet, gaz, fuel), and a car. Food and schools for kids.

How would you rate the amount on a scale from 1 to 10...we are not used to eating caviar everyday ;-), we just want to have good level of living, nothing fancy just good. We are looking at living in the airport area.

What should we be careful about? (ie things we usually don't think about). WE have read and been told that Ghana is the friendliest country in west Africa...

I will be working but not my wife. She is quite an outgoing person...what is your experience on subject.

Anything you can tell me will help me, we will become expat for the first time and presently believe that we will need to keep our insurances in Switzerland (worldwide insurance that is).

Looking forward to read from you.

Ghana is a peaceful country but a bit expensive. If your employer is not paying for your accommodation, expect to pay rent anywhere from $2,000 - $4,000/month for a complete house in the airport area. Also, note that landlords in Ghana tend to ask for at least a full year of rent advance.

Thanks
Ben
chelseainngh.com

Another initial cost is the registration fee at the school (which you only pay once) which can be anything from 3000 US Dollars and up (primary school)depending on the school.

You have the Swiss school of course that teaches in German which should be cheaper since it is subsidised by the Swiss state and the French school (subsidised by France)as well if you are French speaking.

Ebony08 wrote:

Another initial cost is the registration fee at the school (which you only pay once) which can be anything from 3000 US Dollars and up (primary school)depending on the school.

You have the Swiss school of course that teaches in German which should be cheaper since it is subsidised by the Swiss state and the French school (subsidised by France)as well if you are French speaking.

Yuk in German ?? No way...we speak French, but kids could learn english at school.
How are english school in Accra? Any close to the Airport area? Is it safe (safety wise) to drive or better to have a driver?

Cannot find any info on english schools in Accra on the web, so if you can help...I owe you big :-)

One more question. Aside from KLM, BA and Alitalia...how is the air connections between Accra and the region (Ivory Coast, Togo etc...)? I knw am asking lots, but when i get there, you are all invited for a drink ;-)

JLP,

So  Virgin Atlantic starts flying  to Accra  from London Heathrow on May 24, United  Airlines  starts  in June  from UK and  USA

you  can  fly  to  other  west africa  countries   with Aero contractor, Virgin Nigeria, Air Arik. cost  from $100-$350 return on economy flights.

you  have  a  few  english   speaking private  school

such as  lincoln http://www.lincoln.edu.gh/
ghana international  school http://www.isbi.com/istd-viewschool/403 … chool.html

british international school  http://www.bisghana.com.gh/prospectus.html

what  else  do you  need  to  know?

East legon is cheaper for housing  you can get a nice house for $1700 and  below. western  food is expensive in Ghana. you  better start learning how to eating yam, plantain, jollof rice and other local food.

Accra has one cinema inside the mall

I visited Ghana again in February after an absence of 16 years. Then I was a volunteer and managed to live on the wages of a local teacher topped up by VSO but I was shocked at how expensive things were now especially compared to Hong Kong where I am at the moment.
Fortunately we have our own house and car so will not have to pay rent.
We are living in the East Airport area off Spintex road and not being a very confident driver I would not like to drive around Accra until I know the area much better. Even my husband who is Ghanaian and is a confident driver relied on his brothers to ferry us around as he doesn't know the roads well enough. I would think that a driver would be a good idea until you are sure of the road system as it gets pretty chaotic especially on the outskirts of Accra.

Lol, I thought I was the only one who felt like that about the German language after studying it for six years at school.

We are planning to put our kids in Galaxy www.galaxyschool.net Costs less than GIS and Lincoln.
Heard about it from a friend here in Sweden who had his son there for some time anf he was satisfied.
IŽll come over for the drink:)

If you want to know the fees for Primary school (I mean Galaxy) I can send them to you since they are not on the web site. Their primary school is not far from Airport Residential and the Pre school is not that far away either. No need to drive on the highway, just small roads.

Thanks Ebony, and yes please do send me the fares for Galaxy at [email protected].

One more question: my wife is scared to be bored in Accra. What do expat wifes do in Accra? Is there a "club" like organization? Unless she works, what kind of activities will she find.
Sorry about stupid question, but it is our first move as expat.

Thanks in advance

Hi Jlp everything is available in Accra, your wife could go for shopping during the day, have lunch out with friends if she likes, and there are the gyms of course. As for organizations, Ghana is full of organizations it depends on what type of organizations you're looking for. Nightlife is pretty cool here.

Hi,
Ryan's Pub in Osu holds a networking even every once in awhile that a lot of expats go to, that could help with the friend making/asking what there is for your wife to do. If she would like to volunteer her time there's lots of opportunities, she'd just have to research places of interest/her qualification and ask.
There's a big recreation club by the airport, called something like airport social club? that will prob be of much use.

I have to say that I am impressed with the amount of information I get on this blog and elsewhere on some private mail. Expat in Ghana must be the best and the nicest in the world :-)

One more question:
- How about income taxes? How does it work when you are an employee (not self employed).

Thanking you in advance,

Yours sincerely

JL Portier

JLP,

Tax is 25% once you earn over $800 luv even on company benefits apart from company car which  is 8%.

your wife  can't shop in Accra their no  shops...............lol. I miss London just on the shopping thing.

LOL, Nims is right but the best shopping mall is along the high way as you are travelling by car(street vendors). It has improved though. In -98 we were doing most of our shopping at Shell which ment driving from petrol station to petrol station just to find nappies. One would have nappies for new born babies only and another just the largest size. I hate shopping so I love the street vendors.

LOL, that is what I miss most from London and even the shops that are here are so expensive, that buying things from abroad turns out to be much cheaper.

I am moving to Ghana along with my wife  as Expat, I am Bengali from Kolkata. Is there any Bengali is staying Ghana. I need contact E-Mail/Mobile No. so that I can talk and get some more information about Ghana.
Regards
Subhas Dutta
[email protected]

Can any one let me know following.
1. House maid cost/month
2.Driver cost/month
3.Avg.Electricity bill/Month ( WITH 3 ac)
4. cooking Gas cost/month
5. TV channel hiring charge/month
6. Rent/month - 3 Bedroom in decent area
Any other cost what I have not considered
Regards
Subhas Dutta

House maid cost/month
2.Driver cost/month 200-400 cedis 
3.Avg.Electricity bill/Month ( WITH 3 ac) 100 cedis
4. cooking Gas cost/month
5. TV channel hiring charge/month  all chanels 100 daollars
6. Rent/month - 3 Bedroom in decent area $1500  and  above
you  may  want  a  security  guard 300 cedis.

were  can I  get  an afford  generator, come  on help me out. I  help  you  all out

Nims, try spintex road. They have a lot of companies that sell generators there.
You can all this numbers, they sell FG Wilson generators -
+ 233 21 810 065 / 810 069 / 812 122

Hopefully the prices aee reasonable.

chelseainn wrote:

Ghana is a peaceful country but a bit expensive. If your employer is not paying for your accommodation, expect to pay rent anywhere from $2,000 - $4,000/month for a complete house in the airport area. Also, note that landlords in Ghana tend to ask for at least a full year of rent advance.

Thanks
Ben
chelseainngh.com

Why is a full year advance rent require?

I don't know why...about 4-5 years ago a minimum landlord will take was 2-3 years. If I can remember correctly gov. had to step in and make taking advance of more than a year illegal.

A guess why the rent has to be paid for a year would be that the land lord want a large sum of money for investment or other needs. Many houses are owned by Ghanaians living abroad and it is not easy to find someone reliable enough to collect the rent each month.

Thanks margaritaB, I will call them.

paying rent in advance is so the landord dont have to chase you for it. The reality is a lot of people disappear without paying rentowed

Hi there,

i understand your plight, with accommodation.  I live in Canada now, my wife still lives in Ghana, and we commute to both countries. I really love Ghana.  We have a couple of houses we rent to Expatriates.  At the moment we have 2 houses available.  One in Tema which is 15 mins away from the airport and the other in Sakumuno off the Spintex. all in a very good Gated Community Called Hillview Estates and Lagoonview Estates respectively. The Management and building(s) company is called Emefs Estates Construction Ltd. or go to their website to see their buildings     http://emefsestates.com/aboutus.html
If you are interested, which i think you would contact me at my email [email protected], so i can send you pictures.  I have also posted it on the classifieds as house for rent.  Good luck

Bruceman

I perfectly understand that the issue of one year or more rent advance charged by landlords in Ghana is a problem for lots of expats as its not like that in their respective countries. But there is one fact that runs through when you talk to landlords about this issue-its a guarantee! A tenant paying rent monthly can decide to cancel an agreement at any time and in this case, what happens to the landlord especially when the house is messed up.

JLP, indeed you can get a nice property in east legon for $1700 and even less. Yes, thats true. The question is how secured is that area you will find yourself. I know security is a major concern to lots of expats coming to Ghana. The recent security report released by the Ghana Police Service classified East Legon as a criminal prone area. Areas around the Lagos Road and the Ambassadorial enclave, very close to the airport and the mall and French School is very ok as far as security is concerned. This area is recommended if you are not willing to spend more than $2500 on house rent. Beyond these areas mentioned like American House, Adjiringano and the likes are not so secured for those who are very concerned with security. You have to also consider the traffic situation. You wouldnt want to spend about an hour or more in traffic before getting to work!

The problem with messed up houses and tenants leaving is a problem everywhere. We are worried about the same thing as we are going to Ghana and are renting out our place in Europe.

I donŽt think there is one reason but many individual ones.
When we have traveled to Ghana on vacation we live on the rent and we sometimes have to take 4 to 6 months advance even though we are not worried about our tenants taking off since we are not dependant on that money more than three months a year. Some are living on it throughout the year making them more vulnerable.
In Ghana things tend to be informally institutionalised rapidly. If a few people start doing things in a certain way it spreads like fire.

Subhas! Am sure Nims has said it all. Its confirmed!
1. House maid cost/month should be around 150 Ghana Cedis equivalent to about $107.
2.Driver cost/month
3.Avg.Electricity bill/Month ( WITH 3 ac)
4. cooking Gas cost/month: about $20 could last for 2 months
5. TV channel hiring charge/month:DSTV premium (access to over 80 channels)charge is $100
6. Rent/month - 3 Bedroom in decent area: budget not less than a $1500/month and be prepared to pay not less than 1 year advance. Make sure you get a good and credible real estate company to assist you on that. Its always advisable to stick to one company to avoid stress and time wasting.

Good Luck!

Kojo, I have to say that Ghana in general is a safe country. Things have changed, of course, as it has all over the world. I still feel more safe in Ghana than in Sweden which is one of the calmest countries in the Western world. My husband is from Nima/Mamobi so I know what I am talking about. I have even stayed there at times.
Ghana is really not in need of gated communities (yet) which in my view is a way of seperating the rich from the poor. This is what will create problems. If you distance yourself from people you will get in trouble.
I was with South African friends around Accra area and they were laughing at the ex pat fear of being mugged or attacked. Of course it happens, just as anywhere else. What we must not do is to describe Ghana as a dangerous country because it will not help the country moving forward. Ghana is a safe country but as you say the traffic is something else.

Hi,
            I am from india and suppose to shift ghana with my family ( me ,wife and a daughter of 8). I am a bengali and can i get any bengali's contact details( mail/mobile no) to clear few doubts?
Can anybody tell me AVG house hold expenses in Accra as my company will provide me family accommodation and $4200 per month.
[b]what is education cost( admission fee and monthly fees in good school)
Is there any Indian school? i heard there is Delhi public school.
Regds
Tirthankar

Hi Tirthankar,

Welcome to Expat.com!

You may also start a new topic on the Accra forum for better visibility. Good luck