Teaching in Adis

Hi,
I am a recent college graduate student who has been offered a job teaching at an international school in Ethiopia. myself and two other graduates will be living in a house together. rent and transportation is  covered,along with medical expenses. however we have to split the cost of utilities and provide food for ourselves as well as take care of personal needs etc  and our monthly stipend is 12, 500 bir  is that a good amount of money for me to live off of comfortably in Adis?

Hi Poster,

I think $600 is enough for a local to buy food and split the utilities with roommates but it isn't enough when thinking about saving money or going on holidays. $600 is enough for a local but not for an expat to enjoy the good life. That said, if you budget your food and expenses, you can stretch that amount further than most people. All in all, you will have to make the choice, as most people in that country live off $2 a day. Ask yourself, do I want to swim in the red sea near Eritrea? Do I want to take a holiday in Tanzania or Uganda? Then $600-12,500 bir is not enough as you have to factor the cost of airfare and hotel. Make sure you dont sign a long term contract. Try to commit 6months-1 year and see it for yourself.

Regards,

hoda

I think you will do fine as it is