Living Costs for a month or so in Addis

Hi everybody!
I'll be moving to Addis next August 2010 for a month or so; I'm thus gathering some info on the accommodation & living costs.
I had a look around the site & found very useful info so far, yet was searching for updated news.

Thus, my questions:
- How much does it cost to rent a three-bedroom apartment in Addis, say in Bole (yet, not necessarily)? I'm looking for the monthly rent, fees included (with hot water possibly).

- How much (daily) would it be living  in a hotel instead, and which one would you suggest as a fine hotel?

- What about the daily living costs? I'm referring to food and transportation mainly (am not thinking of hiring a car, & would rather travel by minibus). I understand the travel would depend on the length, and I'm asking for the highest tariff for the longest journey.

My budget would be around 300-400£st for accommodation and 'what's necessary' for living costs.

Any advice?
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Best,
Mari

Mari,

- How much does it cost to rent a three-bedroom apartment in Addis, say in Bole (yet, not necessarily)? I'm looking for the monthly rent, fees included (with hot water possibly).

It is difficult to find an apartment in Bole. Many of the houses are villa types which claim £st 1,000 to £st 2,500 per month. If you can live outside bole, you can rent 3 bed room apartments for Birr 2,500 (£st 125)if it is a government condo or for Birr 6,000(£st 300)you can get a privately owned apartment.   

- How much (daily) would it be living  in a hotel instead, and which one would you suggest as a fine hotel?

Living in a good hotel will cost you daily at least Birr 400 (£st 20)excluding food and beverage.

- What about the daily living costs? I'm referring to food and transportation mainly (am not thinking of hiring a car, & would rather travel by minibus). I understand the travel would depend on the length, and I'm asking for the highest tariff for the longest journey.

A single meal at an average restaurant on average costs Birr 40 (£st 2), and the longest minibus jorney costs you Birr 3.50 (£st .18). If you will cook, the cost can be reduced by more than half.

-My budget would be around 300-400£st for accommodation and 'what's necessary' for living costs.

400 £st converted to Ethiopian Birr is around Birr 8,000. This may not enable you to live comfortably like an expatriate but if you can carefully manage your expenses, you can get along.

Now there is one major issue. You will stay only for a month or so. Quite a short time: furnished apartment needed. And furnished apartments are rare and expensive in Addis. You may go for furnished studio units for something like Birr 3,500 (£st 175).

Suave

Many thanks Suave! Very useful pieces of information!
Best!
Mari

Hi Friends,

How about the living in Ethiophia?  whether it is a safe and secured place to live there?

Warm Regards,
MCAppA

mcappa61 wrote:

Hi Friends,

How about the living in Ethiophia?  whether it is a safe and secured place to live there?

Warm Regards,
MCAppA

I think Ethiopia is the safest place to live in Africa It is secured in a sense that people are not in to crime and you will find people very helpful and polite and am sure when you see it you will have the same view about the country and the people.

Thank You very much my friend for this information.

Warm Regards,
MCAppA