Coming to Dammam in a couple of months

Hello guys! :)

I have received an offer to relocate to Dammam for an Academic position. So I have these few questions in order to assess how good this offer is? Thanks in advance :)

**Feel free to answer the questions you want :)

- What would be Life costs in general (per month for a family of 2 adults + 1 child of 3 years old): excluding housing costs! But including food, clothing, utilities, Transportation, going and eating out (~5 times/week) etc...

- What would be good neighborhoods to live in? Geographically I am interested by places like Al Khalidiya, Al Mazruiya, Al Tubaishi. Are these good? I want a 2 or 3 Bedrooms unfurnished flat with good standing with shared facilities (shared pool, shared gym etc...) >> Budget 25,000-28,000 SAR per year is this possible? I didn't find good websites to have a good idea! Even Dubizzle ads has no pics etc.

- A good Kindergarten costs for 3 years old?

- Internet, TV and Mobile? What company STC?

- My wife is coming with me but she doesn't have a contract to work, would be easy for her to find a part-time job in education field? Is it possible to teach young kids at home?

- What is the best banks?

- What budget should I allocate for good house furniture? I don't bother if it used but in a very good condition! I will be buying a good TV + laptop too in addition to the regular stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards.

first you are must welcome sir here in SA :)

- What would be good neighborhoods to live in? Geographically I am interested by places like Al Khalidiya, Al Mazruiya, Al Tubaishi. Are these good? I want a 2 or 3 Bedrooms unfurnished flat with good standing with shared facilities (shared pool, shared gym etc...) >> Budget 25,000-28,000 SAR per year is this possible? I didn't find good websites to have a good idea! Even Dubizzle ads has no pics etc.

Mazruiya is good place and you can found there in the same budget 

about the internet and mobile i think Mobily is better and cheaper Than STC ,, check there WebSite : http://www.mobily.com.sa/portalu/wps/po … 3QSEhL2Vu/

for TV you would like OSN .. check here :

http://www.osn.com/

also AlJazeera Sport ( if you like Football ) and the free Channels here has a many and big Options ( just like Tunis )

Samba or SABB .. but idk about your company ,, maybe they will transfer your salary to specific bank ,,

- What budget should I allocate for good house furniture? I don't bother if it used but in a very good condition! I will be buying a good TV + laptop too in addition to the regular stuff.

used is better in the beginning ( Except for electronics it is better to be new ) ,, and Plasma tv 42" new you will have it with 1700 SR ,, check here :

http://www.extrastores.com/Site/index.aspx?lang=ar

i hope these information could be helpful for you sir ,, any thing else you can contact me any time sir :)

Regards ,,

Dear Nader;
Thanks a lot for this great post :) Very good insights there indeed :)I do appreciate.
You are living in Dammam since a long time?

I nominate NaderHamza for Most Polite EB Member!

Hello guys! :)

I have received an offer to relocate to Dammam for an Academic position. So I have these few questions in order to assess how good this offer is? Thanks in advance :)

**Feel free to answer the questions you want :)

- What would be Life costs in general (per month for a family of 2 adults + 1 child of 3 years old): excluding housing costs! But including food, clothing, utilities, Transportation, going and eating out (~5 times/week) etc...
assuming you won't have car yet, an outing for food would cost around SR 70, 20/30 for the cab, rest for food, of course you will find places with more expensive. Menus (up to SR100/person)

Mazruiya is a good place, you will find something within your budget or even less

- A good Kindergarten costs for 3 years old?
need to confirm but I think there is cost is about SR 6k per year

- My wife is coming with me but she doesn't have a contract to work, would be easy for her to find a part-time job in education field? Is it possible to teach young kids at home?
these days the schools are a bit strict about employment, but I do think she will be able to find something good nearby

it will depend on your budget against you might be able to furnish the house within 10k as a starter kit, but of course, you will find cheaper/costlier options

Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards.

Alliecat wrote:

Yes indeed Nader is very polite and helpful! :) However are you implying I've done something wrong? :)

Darkt wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Yes indeed Nader is very polite and helpful! :) However are you implying I've done something wrong? :)

You've done nothing wrong :)  I was simply impressed with Nader's polite manners and wanted to acknowledge him!

3dnan, Thanks alot for your reply with all the details.
10k? You mean in SAR? That's really affordable. Thanks again :)

Alliecat wrote:
Darkt wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

You've done nothing wrong :)  I was simply impressed with Nader's polite manners and wanted to acknowledge him!

Thanks for explaining Allie :)

BTW, Are there any good online real estate sites?

Dear Nader;
Thanks a lot for this great post  Very good insights there indeed I do appreciate.
You are living in Dammam since a long time?

you welcome sir any time ,, unfortunately im living In Hofuf right now ( 135 KM from Dammam ) but i hope we can met soon :)

I nominate NaderHamza for Most Polite EB Member

ohh thanks a lot for that ,, but i have no idea about it :(

and im trying to help any need any information i have ,,

i think this one can help you ( Free ADV Every week ) - in arabic

almobawabah.com/eMob.php

NaderHamza wrote:

i think this one can help you ( Free ADV Every week ) - in arabic

almobawabah.com/eMob.php

Or maybe here on EB:  https://www.expat.com/en/housing/middle … ia/dammam/

Or here:
http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/dmm/

Nader & Allie,
Thanks a lot for the links and replies! Very useful! :)

first of all these localities which u mention above don have much posh style standings ... as u asked for nice place , in dammam only  Cornish area is having nice environment to live. 2nd in 25000 t0 30 thousand hardly u can have 2 bed apartment in nice posh area ,,,,GYM and pool only exist in Compounds,, which started from 120000 SAR / anm to 250000 SAR/ ANM..... HOUSE OVER HEADS  including dine out is not more than 4000 sar /m .. nice international school is 1000 to 1500 /m  ,,,, net cell and other utilities almost 600 to 800 / month

desertlifestyle wrote:

first of all these localities which u mention above don have much posh style standings ... as u asked for nice place , in dammam only  Cornish area is having nice environment to live. 2nd in 25000 t0 30 thousand hardly u can have 2 bed apartment in nice posh area ,,,,GYM and pool only exist in Compounds,, which started from 120000 SAR / anm to 250000 SAR/ ANM..... HOUSE OVER HEADS  including dine out is not more than 4000 sar /m .. nice international school is 1000 to 1500 /m  ,,,, net cell and other utilities almost 600 to 800 / month

@desertlifestyle;

Thanks for your input! What you say about the neighborhoods seems to contradict with what I read here and what other people me told me? I am having very good feedback about Al Mazruyiah and Al Shatti. I just need some modern, calm neighborhood with good facilities and quite near to the sea and to the area where I will be working (Muraikibat). :)

al shati is good place ....its near beach ,,, i think SHATTI is Arabic n of beach ... its nice area .. u can find nice place in 28000/anm ... but if u wnana have life , GYM, pool . cafes its only available in compounds ........ any ways lets see almost all of other areas are same. any other help u an ask at arrival..

Thanks for the reply :)

not at all u cant furnish house  in 10 K SAR ,,,,  its almost 25000 sar job if u wanna have nice households ,, otherwise if u wnanan make mess in home u can do it even less than 10,000 sar,, e.g  only
one nice standard ( not much high class)  SOFA SET(couch) is above 5000 sar..

Wel I am planning a budget of 18000-20000 SAR to furnish the flat so that sounds OK :) Thank you for confirming it :)

Darkt wrote:

Wel I am planning a budget of 18000-20000 SAR to furnish the flat so that sounds OK :) Thank you for confirming it :)

When expats move they end up practically giving their stuff away so if I were you, I'd only buy what I absolutely needed and then keep my eyes open for the rest!

For accessories, I really do like Ikea.  There's one in Riyadh but I don't know about Dammam.

Have fun! :)

Alliecat wrote:
Darkt wrote:

When expats move they end up practically giving their stuff away so if I were you, I'd only buy what I absolutely needed and then keep my eyes open for the rest!

For accessories, I really do like Ikea.  There's one in Riyadh but I don't know about Dammam.

Have fun! :)

Thanks Allie for the tip :)
Yep There's an Ikea in Dhahran! :)

Another thing guys,
What would be the best driving school in Dammam if someone has an experience? As my Tunisian licence is not convertible into a Saudi one? :/
For my first year, I am also planning a 45000-50000 SAR to buy a second hand car that is in a good state (American or Asian 4x4 or SUV) I was told it is not wise to buy a new car until I am acquainted with the roads and the driving "style" in KSA. Is that right?
Thanks again!

Darkt wrote:

Another thing guys,
What would be the best driving school in Dammam if someone has an experience? As my Tunisian licence is not convertible into a Saudi one? :/
For my first year, I am also planning a 45000-50000 SAR to buy a second hand car that is in a good state (American or Asian 4x4 or SUV) I was told it is not wise to buy a new car until I am acquainted with the roads and the driving "style" in KSA. Is that right?
Thanks again!

sir you can find it very easy.. just when you come here  send to a privet message and ill let you know about used cars,,

but you should know that in this range ( 45 - 50 ) it will not be more than 2008 model ( if SUV )

Thanks Nader :)

hi friends iam going to brig my family what will be cost of 1BK flat or house in Dammam

Hi Vamsi,

It is rare to find a 1 BHK flat. If you do find them, it will be more of a run down apartment, for bachelors.
It is safe to estimate an annual cost of 15K for a 2BHK.

Thanks,
Raunak

housing is expensive ..since you are coming with your family ..u will need a house which will costs atleast 24 to 30K Riyals ...considering your preference for good locality ...

cooldude7808 wrote:

housing is expensive ..since you are coming with your family ..u will need a house which will costs atleast 24 to 30K Riyals ...considering your preference for good locality ...

Thanks for the input. I am actually having that Kind of budget for housing :)As I said in my 1st post.

Finally I am in Dammam since 2 days now :)

Welcome!! Do let us know if you need any help around, we will try our best to assist :-)

Thanks 3dnan. :)