Moving to London and have a question.

Here goes. So my dad was in the military and was stationed on England where I was born. That makes me a US citizen. We moved back when I was 2. I have 2 birth certificates though, one from the embassy stating my citizenship with the states and one from England saying I am registered under the district of Bury St. Edmunds. So the question is, if I am planning to go to England would I need any visas? And if not, could I plan on staying there to live and work?

if you have two passports you have dual nationality, i'm sure you dont need any visa

sam2bad1313 wrote:

if you have two passports you have dual nationality, i'm sure you dont need any visa

right on, I have dual citizenship too and effectively you have the same rights to enter as someone born and raised there.

I only have a us passport. I have never tried to get a british passport. I have lived in the U.S. since I was 2. I am wondering after all this time, could I just take my birth certificate and go back?

Well, nowadays passports have to be renewed every 10 years. Some regulations have changed so you may wish to check if there is a 'renewal' or activation process for you to live in the UK.

There's some information about this on the UK Border Agency website. If you weren't registered as a British citizen at birth, and didn't spend your first 10 years in the UK then you don't have any rights to enter/remain in the UK as a result.

This means that you have to apply for a general visa, depending on why you want to come and how long you want to stay. Check this page for more information on that.

P.S. Bury St Edmunds is a quiet town, but worth a visit!