Tips and ideas.

Hello, Expat.com people.

My wife and I are moving to Hoi An in early feb 2014. We have found a great real estate agent but that's where it ends.We don't need to work but would like to get involved in something.

I would love ideas and tips about what to do, see and watch out for. Such as where to shop for clothes, food and good wine? Buy a motorbike or rent one? Best place to meet Expat.com people? Best mobile deals? Should or can we open a bank account in Hoi An? Visa renewing and length? Volunteering?

Any tips would be greatly welcome. We can't wait to be in Hoi An again and relaxing by the beach with a cold beer.

Thanks

Hey Guys,
Definitely you will be welcome here in Hoi An, there are many many expats here, specially Aussie's
and heaps of us will have differing advice, loads of it. There is plenty to do!

Closer to the day, pop you email details on and I will send you my phone number.

My advice, don't try to have all the answers before you get here, and dont rush into anything especially a house and major purchases like a bike. It's a fun journey and if you take it one step at a time you'll enjoy it more .

Kerre Burley

Nothing beats a cold Brisbane beer!
Have a read of the older threads, banks, visa, housing. Lots of useful information.
I'm also aiming to be in VN roughly that time too.

Except the price. A beer can cost upwards of $6 in brisbane. Nothing like a ice cold saigon green looking over the ocean for $2. I've read a lot of previous posts but as Vietnam can change so much in 6 months new info is a must.
I hate getting scammed and I find if you have a rough idea of what's normal you can at least you feel more comfortable. We have been to Vietnam 4 times and been ripped off several times just because we knew no better. But each time it got less and less, knowledge is power.
So any info is welcome.

I've read most threads about Hoi an now. Just wondering who and how often are they updated. Plus I signed up to the email alert thing and I get every new post sent to me and most have nothing I remotely want to know. Is there anyway to refine the emails I get?

Hi BigJed.  I'm also from Bris and have been living in Hoi An for 13 years.  I rarely log in to the forum but am happy to chat via email .... [email protected]