Why people smoke ??

Hi All,

I am a smoker, someone asked me that why you smoke and i was answerless.

what you say why you smoke ? or what you think why one needed it badly even he/she knews that it is waste of health and waste of money.

Habit...

Ehtesham wrote:

Habit...

bad habit

It's a bad habit that becomes physically addictive.

They enjoy to disgust none-smokers

It adds as an additional activity/leisure/comfort period/moment of enjoyment and active discussions to your life.................. :D

in 10 years i quit smoking only twice, once for 6 months before 5 years and last time last month when i reduced to 2 cigarettes a day after few days 1 per day, completely quit for 1 week and now started again. i am completly frustrated but still its in my hand while i am typing this :D

valar_morghulis wrote:

in 10 years i quit smoking only twice, once for 6 months before 5 years and last time last month when i reduced to 2 cigarettes a day after few days 1 per day, completely quit for 1 week and now started again. i am completly frustrated but still its in my hand while i am typing this :D

No easy way out mate once you are in :(

TheLegendLeads wrote:
valar_morghulis wrote:

there is but actually we never try hard to quit .

I envy smokers who can just 'switch off' at will...

valar_morghulis wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

Do you mean there is an easy way for which we have to try hard? :D

TheLegendLeads wrote:
valar_morghulis wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

Do you mean there is an easy way for which we have to try hard? :D

easy way is think that it is harmfull and your brain will tell ya that dont smoke anymore, think of your money spending on it, health. but you have to try hard for stoping yourself to smoke again.

there are so many factor that may be linked to cigarette/nicotine addiction like genes,environment,influence,culture etc. there is no sugar coating one's addiction,difference between NARCOTICS/ALCOHOL addiction and smoking is almost none except it is freely accepted by the society, knowing the health risk and bad effects of the cigarettes isn't enough to make one stop into this habit just like in the other addictions, addiction can be managed but it takes time and effort and acceptance, accepting that you are a nicotine addict or a HARD SMOKER/Committed smoker would be a start if you are willing to quit it.. :)

That's true. A strong will power for starters but unfortunately that's limited for starters on.
On practical grounds, just have a look at what stats say. The success rate for people opting for 'cold turkey' staretgy is as low as 5% :o. That means the factors you mentioned above as genes, environment, influence, culture (& metabolism) etc etc, 95% of people can't get the right drive and have to take the U-turn :)
I think gradual drop with a strong & total commitment can help most.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

That's true. A strong will power for starters but unfortunately that's limited for starters on.
On practical grounds, just have a look at what stats say. The success rate for people opting for 'cold turkey' staretgy is as low as 5% :o. That means the factors you mentioned above as genes, environment, influence, culture (& metabolism) etc etc, 95% of people can't get the right drive and have to take the U-turn :)
I think gradual drop with a strong & total commitment can help most.

Well you can say that, that's why addiction to any substance at all should be seen as a DISEASE and should be treated as one, meaning with proper process,medication and help from the experts could or might lead to treatment, "cold turkey"is a dangerous path to go with , possibility of withdrawal is present which is putting your life in danger, however substitution or reduction method tend to lessen the possibility of relapse; but the main point here is within the hand of his/her own, no one can stop him forcefully but him self no matter what path he/she takes its his/her call, the factors that I've stated are the things that may lead into nicotine addiction; the answer to the question "Why do people smoke", people do tend to get a low drive with this but if your willing enough with the proper intervention method you'll make it.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/

You can also check this link guys, might help understand more about addiction.. :)

Hi there ,nicotine is highly addictive ,it\s actually a drug that induces in the beggining relaxation ,it increases certain neurotrnsmiters action ,like dopamine ,so it acts as elevates the mood ,then you develope certain tolerance so with the time u will need to smoke more!It's horrible because u can't even breath with the time normally!Like u totally ruin it for ur pathways!I see people smoke a lot here and I wonder why!If ur addicted to nicotine u won't be able to reduce it successfully because u will be thinking about it all day long then when u smoke one cigarette u will give urself excuse to smoke whole package and u will even moke more then before,better quit it!Try going to gym ,or something that will help restore ur health,consult with ur physitians,my dad is heavy someker and he is depressive because of it!Hope u find the right answer...by the way with time cigarretes start making people sad and depressed because it doesn't help relax anymore!

Calentica87 wrote:

Try going to gym ,or something that will help restore ur health,consult with ur physitians,my dad is heavy someker and he is depressive because of it!Hope u find the right answer...by the way with time cigarretes start making people sad and depressed because it doesn't help relax anymore!

I agree :thanks:

people who never smoke know the effect wether is good or bad, you guys already knew the effect so it will be more easy for you to stay out of it.......:)

JasfurJQ wrote:

people who never smoke know the effect wether is good or bad, you guys already knew the effect so it will be more easy for you to stay out of it.......:)

:blink:

JasfurJQ wrote:

Not quite the situation my friend, :) you can say being addicted to nicotine is like smoking emerging to your normal biological needs, it has the same effect as with food , whenever you are hungry your mouth water's and your stomach grumble, same as with smoking, whenever you find the urge to smoke your mouth also water and you feel uneasy with it , basically in due time of smoking it becomes a part of your daily routine and life and your mind and body keeps looking for it and takes over your whole being and eventually surrendering to it , quite a more complicated issue than the society perceived.  :P

ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:
JasfurJQ wrote:

Not quite the situation my friend, :) you can say being addicted to nicotine is like smoking emerging to your normal biological needs, it has the same effect as with food , whenever you are hungry your mouth water's and your stomach grumble, same as with smoking, whenever you find the urge to smoke your mouth also water and you feel uneasy with it , basically in due time of smoking it becomes a part of your daily routine and life and your mind and body keeps looking for it and takes over your whole being and eventually surrendering to it , quite a more complicated issue than the society perceived.  :P

are you a smoker ?? :nothappy:

ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

quite a more complicated issue than the society perceived.  :P

:one

But the bigger question is why quit. Its one of the best social platform and fun.

valar_morghulis wrote:
ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:
JasfurJQ wrote:

are you a smoker ?? :nothappy:

Used to be a smoker, now im into VAPING (E-CIGIGARTTE), and it worked well for me , now i only smoke 1 stick a month just to try if relapse will occur but now a days i cant even finish a stick , hope the other guys find their way out of it :)

slyshooter wrote:

But the bigger question is why quit. Its one of the best social platform and fun.

thats one of my problem before bro, i used to have this bond with my colleagues and only happend in cigarette break, cant say no to invitations like that, but when i started vaping ive realized that it can be substituted + i don't run out of smoke only batteries LOL; atleast for me thats the scenario.. :top:

A big incentive to quit in the USA is the cost of cigarettes (up to $10--40SAR--a pack, and more, depending on which state).  Figure a carton a week, in a month's time you're spending as much $$ as it would cost to be paying off a luxury car.  And for WHAT?  To damage your health and be a social pariah?  lol  It's CRAZY--but then again, that's what addiction is all about.

But eating non-healthy food (fast food) is also a type of addiction, and more ppl die of diabetes than of smoking. So if you eat healthy, exercise and smoke, I think its better than eating junk.

slyshooter wrote:

But eating non-healthy food (fast food) is also a type of addiction, and more ppl die of diabetes than of smoking. So if you eat healthy, exercise and smoke, I think its better than eating junk.

But lots of that diabetes is type 1.  Genetic.

Alliecat wrote:

A big incentive to quit in the USA is the cost of cigarettes (up to $10--40SAR--a pack, and more, depending on which state).  Figure a carton a week, in a month's time you're spending as much $$ as it would cost to be paying off a luxury car.  And for WHAT?  To damage your health and be a social pariah?  lol  It's CRAZY--but then again, that's what addiction is all about.

even here it CAN be same if someone think, now adays tires of my car are almost few months near to burst, before a month i was thinking if i quit smoke for 4 month after four months i can replace all 4 tires with the money i saved from quitng smoke, not all 4 atleast i saved for one tire :D

ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

Used to be a smoker, now im into VAPING (E-CIGIGARTTE), and it worked well for me , now i only smoke 1 stick a month just to try if relapse will occur but now a days i cant even finish a stick , hope the other guys find their way out of it :)

pm me where to buy one in jeddah

Alliecat wrote:
slyshooter wrote:

But lots of that diabetes is type 1.  Genetic.

So what? My nicotine addiction is type-1 too! :D

valar_morghulis wrote:
ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

pm me where to buy one in jeddah

i think i already made a tread , and a guy there has a coming stock, i thought of selling it here in jeddah, but ive read that its banned here , DONT WHY THOUGH :blink:, sucksss, so i can only import a limited number and on minimum (for personal use) .. :blink:

ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

i think i already made a tread , and a guy there has a coming stock, i thought of selling it here in jeddah, but ive read that its banned here , DONT WHY THOUGH :blink:, sucksss, so i can only import a limited number and on minimum (for personal use) .. :blink:

not interested any more, just googled and am not impressed much.
last night last cigarette, since morning i didnt bought the packet as i am thinking to fix MAGS to my car :D

valar_morghulis wrote:
ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

last night last cigarette, since morning i didnt bought the packet as i am thinking to fix MAGS to my car :D

Well you gotta try it to believe it, :P  good luck to either way man.. :)

ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:
valar_morghulis wrote:
ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

Well you gotta try it to believe it, :P  good luck to either way man.. :)

i tried it before and it worked but again addiction will overcome. by time

grrrrrr... shutup all and let me smoke :P